PDA

View Full Version : Conceal ip address, anonymous and private

embolism
01-17-2010, 05:21 PM
I have been looking at ways to make my IP address anonymous and private; have a few questions since I haven't found a easy way out.
1. Do we have to conceal IP address when one is a member of higher level sites like FTN, Hdbits, etc. Isn't it difficult for anybody to track if you are a member in such sites.
2 I would guess it is a good idea to hide ip while using lower level trackers. What is the best way. TOR VPN is very slow. Haven't tried tried other methods. Seedboxes cost money.
3 need a wise advise. Do you hide your ip irrespective? Do private trackers allow that.
Thanks

Rart
01-17-2010, 05:28 PM
There is no way to hide your IP while using bittorrent. The most basic of interactions require an IP address to be sent from one to another.

if you really want to display a different IP that isn't your own though, you would have to use a seedbox/VPN as you said. Nothing else to do really.

anon
01-17-2010, 05:34 PM
1. Do we have to conceal IP address when one is a member of higher level sites like FTN, Hdbits, etc. Isn't it difficult for anybody to track if you are a member in such sites.

Well, I guess you're less likely to find anti-P2P organizations on those sites, due to the fact they're hard to get in.

2 I would guess it is a good idea to hide ip while using lower level trackers. What is the best way. TOR VPN is very slow. Haven't tried tried other methods. Seedboxes cost money.

Tor isn't a VPN. And it's very slow because you're using the bandwidth of other users to tunnel your P2P traffic - don't.

What you can do is using a real VPN or "torrent proxy" service. Both of which cost money if you want something good. There are free ones out there, though, but they're either saturated or make you not connectable.

3 need a wise advise. Do you hide your ip irrespective? Do private trackers allow that.

Most trackers don't allow almost any means of concealing your real IP - if they did, the lives of multiple account holders would be easier.

Tv Controls you
01-17-2010, 06:11 PM
The only completely anonymous option is to buy a vpn that doesn't save logs.

Which brings in another problem payment. In which I could only think that you could mail money via a fake return address and fake name.

anon
01-17-2010, 06:13 PM

You can't know whether they're really keeping logs or not, can you?

Tv Controls you
01-17-2010, 06:14 PM

You can't know whether they're really keeping logs or not, can you?

Most major VPN's keep logs, but if you know where to look, you can find some that "claim" to not keep logs.

A logless VPN is WAY WAY overkill for Bittorrent trust me OP. The worst that can happen on your home connection is a nasty letter from your ISP.

Logless Vpn I would only use for major hacking, fruad, or some other seriously illegal shit.

TraLaLa
01-17-2010, 06:22 PM
I have been looking at ways to make my IP address anonymous and private; have a few questions since I haven't found a easy way out.
Thanks

why do you want to hide your ip ? beside the obvious illegal thing

embolism
01-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Bottom line: there is no absolute safe / cheap way?

I am hoping higher level private trackers probably is safe. Even if there was a way to maintain anonymous IP, private trackers would kick you out? for sure? All I need is for the IP to be anonymous during downloading a torrent.

Scenario: Using Utorrents - if you pick a particular torrent and start downloading - at the bottom window where there is information on IP addresses of PEERS - one can get specific information of a particular IP address. I would say - that is probably how one can get tracked for downloading a particular torrent. How can one change/alter that without being kicked out of the private tracker you are using?

(VM Player + Janus VM VPN + TOR was what I meant with TOR/ VPN).

It is all for the obvious illegal thing factor.

anon
01-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Bottom line: there is no absolute safe / cheap way?

If you're desperate you can use a free VPN such as Hotspot Shield, UltraVPN or TheFreeVPN. But they will make you appear as not connectable and you'll share the IP with lots of other people - which isn't good if one of them has broken the tracker's rules in the past, or currently has an account there (you'll be seen as a double account).

I am hoping higher level private trackers probably is safe. Even if there was a way to maintain anonymous IP, private trackers would kick you out? for sure?

Most are OK with paid VPN services. Of course, take five minutes to ask or tell the staff about what you're going to do.

Scenario: Using Utorrents - ... How can one change/alter that without being kicked out of the private tracker you are using?

Using the ways already mentioned. :lol:

WakeMeUp
01-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Get a seedbox. Nowadays you don't need to spend hundreds of $ - there are many seedbox services which are both cheap and good. I think this is the best solution, as hiding your IP address isn't that good for connectibility within any tracker. :)

TraLaLa
01-17-2010, 06:42 PM
your internet provider can supervise every thing you do if thats the problem :P
if you think in higher level trackers you are more " safe " just for the fact that its hard to get in, you are so wrong,its not about that.

anon
01-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Use encryption. Most, if not all VPN services already encrypt your traffic, and if you go for a seedbox there's FTPS.

puckface
01-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Tor isnt for torrenting. firstly, its a proxy which most (if not all trackers frown upon), secondly it slows down the Tor network to a crawl.. it wasn't designed for torrenting and clueless people try and use it for such and ruin it for everyone.

Also, I personally think it s a fallacy that higher level trackers are less likely to have anti-p2p organizations on them.. in fact, I think its just as likely. You give me the resources of a government agency and I (or almost anyone) can get into any site that has any amount of invites. Even sites like HDB that dont have invites most likely have snitches as members from when they did have invites.

As stated, seedbox or VPN is the way to go... both end up being about the same expense per month if you go with higher end services.. your choice.

TraLaLa
01-17-2010, 07:14 PM

Use encryption. Most, if not all VPN services already encrypt your traffic, and if you go for a seedbox there's FTPS.

i dont know haw to use encryption, i need more details :)

anon
01-17-2010, 07:20 PM

Bear in mind I'm talking about the encryption in VPN services and such, not Protocol Encryption in BitTorrent clients. The latter is only an anti-shaping measure and won't conceal anything from your ISP.

VPN services encrypt the traffic from their servers from you (and viceversa), so that your ISP can't tell what's being transferred. So if you buy an account and connect to them, your provider will only see a stready stream of "gibberish" directed from and to a single host.

If you have a seedbox, you can use it to torrent, and FTPS (encrypted FTP) to get the files from the box to your computer while archieving the same effect. But I can't help you with setting that up :lol:

kurdt
01-17-2010, 07:35 PM

http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-encrypt-bittorrent-traffic/

anon
01-17-2010, 07:38 PM
That's only to be able to torrent if your ISP blocks BitTorrent based on traffic headers. It won't work with advanced shapers and certainly isn't a way to conceal what you're downloading.

kurdt
01-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Also, I personally think it s a fallacy that higher level trackers are less likely to have anti-p2p organizations on them.. in fact, I think its just as likely. You give me the resources of a government agency and I (or almost anyone) can get into any site that has any amount of invites. Even sites like HDB that dont have invites most likely have snitches as members from when they did have invites.

so the logic is because it is possible, it is just as likely?

isn't it more likely that you'd choose to go after the easier sites, with the bigger membership and more alleged violations first? before going after the smaller, harder to get into sites, even though you "can" get in there?

That's only to be able to torrent if your ISP blocks BitTorrent based on traffic headers. It won't work with advanced shapers and certainly isn't a way to conceal what you're downloading.

i know. but he was asking how to use encryption, so i posted a tutorial.

anon
01-17-2010, 07:40 PM
i know. but he was asking how to use encryption, so i posted a tutorial.

I know, just adding extra info, given this topic's first post :)

TraLaLa
01-17-2010, 07:42 PM

Bear in mind I'm talking about the encryption in VPN services and such, not Protocol Encryption in BitTorrent clients. The latter is only an anti-shaping measure and won't conceal anything from your ISP.

VPN services encrypt the traffic from their servers from you (and viceversa), so that your ISP can't tell what's being transferred. So if you buy an account and connect to them, your provider will only see a stready stream of "gibberish" directed from and to a single host.

If you have a seedbox, you can use it to torrent, and FTPS (encrypted FTP) to get the files from the box to your computer while archieving the same effect. But I can't help you with setting that up :lol:

i understand that, thx but the thing is that i just moved to italy and here its a big crap with filesharing lol, i still download the things i need from the internet, especially trackers and im not an addict so no need for a seedbox :P, i just heard that people go to jail for illegal use of the internet :dabs: whatever they understand by that .
last week i just saw 4 black SUVs picking one guy up for drugs traffic :blink: i hope they wont came after me some day :lol:

anon
01-17-2010, 07:46 PM
that people go to jail for illegal use of the internet :dabs:

Normally I don't make smiley-posts, but:
:blink:

puckface
01-17-2010, 10:11 PM
so the logic is because it is possible, it is just as likely?

isn't it more likely that you'd choose to go after the easier sites, with the bigger membership and more alleged violations first? before going after the smaller, harder to get into sites, even though you "can" get in there?

I actually was saying that I would go after ALL of them if I had the resources and that was my job, yes obviously the "bigger" ones are bigger targets, but they are all targets.

TraLaLa
01-17-2010, 10:19 PM
why should you do that ? if you want ''thi money " make your own one lol

puckface
01-17-2010, 10:26 PM
why should you do that ? if you want ''thi money " make your own one lol

I would do that because you should read the whole thread and then see my last post in context.