PDA

View Full Version : Question about Comcast speeed

wbandit
01-20-2010, 02:25 AM
I have Comcast and dowload at an average of 350kB/s. I did the vuze speed test and got 513kB/s. I did Speedtest.net and got 13.77Mb/s. Why are my Vuze downloads so slow? Is this normal? What's the point of paying for 12Mb/s with Comcast when I can't even download 1Mb/s. I'm thinking of switching to AT&T and getting 6Mb/s. I will save about 25.00 a month. Does the download speed on Vuze have anything to do share ratio?

Rart
01-20-2010, 03:53 AM
Well it also certainly depends on what exactly you're downloading, and whether the speeds are actually capable of maxing your connection. However, Comcast does have "PowerBoost", which provides a temporary boost to skew speedtest results, and has been known to shape traffic. Just check the news sections, there have been many settlements over it.

Edit: It would also help to know what protocol you're using.

l33tpirata13
01-20-2010, 04:10 AM
i suggest you stick with comcrap. if you think your internet is slow now it will suck balls with att. i never used vuze so i cant comment as to whether or not it the program, but, i will say this; many people who i know that were using limewire to torrent had really slow speeds, but when they switched over to utorrent they were getting decent speeds. (by my standards at least)

wbandit
01-21-2010, 03:30 AM
So what speed do you average with Comcast when downloading torrents? I can't imagine ever getting 1mb/s per much less 12mb/s that I pay for.

Morpheus
01-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Keep two things in mind. Knowing the difference between byte and bit and the ability to convert between the multitude of prefixes is vital. Secondly, the advertised maximum speeds by ISPs are just that, the maximum advertised speeds.

The advertised speed your plan provides is 12 megabits per/sec (No American ISP advertises in megabytes)

12 megabits (Mb or mb) = 1.5 megabytes (MB) = 1,536 kilobytes (kB)

That's the connection you should be getting under ideal conditions. Someone with a very large upload speed is uploading to you and only in addition to your connection doing nothing else but download that one torrent. Refer to Rart's first sentence for the remainder of the explanation.

The official torrent of Open Office located here (http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/) can be helpful in determining if your downspeed can surpass 350kB/s since it's seeded through a server (and hundreds of people)

By the by, 350kB/s is the same as 2.7Mb/s so you are actually downloading more than 1Mb/s. Download speed on any bittorrent client has no relation to share ratio.

naterd00d
01-22-2010, 10:48 AM
comcast isnt as bad as everyone says it is

http://imgur.com/EY3Yr.jpg
thats off of one of my DDL trackers, and thats sorta low, normally im hitting 3mbps with comcast.

the fact of the matter is, torrents are slow, i hate to say it, but unless your downloading a legit *nix distro or something, moving over 1MB a second is more rare than we'd like to think

comcast isnt as bad as everyone says it is

http://imgur.com/EY3Yr.jpg
thats off of one of my DDL trackers, and thats sorta low, normally im hitting 3mbps with comcast.

the fact of the matter is, torrents are slow, i hate to say it, but unless your downloading a legit *nix distro or something, moving over 1MB a second is more rare than we'd like to think

and i mean megabytes, not bits