PDA

View Full Version : Problem with slow encoding

HiDDENSKiLL
01-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Hello, i have problems with slow encoding of posts... I am using Altbinz in Wine on Ubuntu desktop 8.04... My download machine spec:

Processor Intel Celeron 1.2GHz
Memory 1GB
Hard disk SATA 250 GB

I have 100mbit connection (Usualy i hit 5MB download speed), but then encoding is pain in the ass... Anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance...

ericab
01-20-2010, 07:46 PM
i think this:

Memory 1GB

is your problem.

MultiForce
01-20-2010, 09:44 PM
i think this:

Memory 1GB

is your problem.

+1

I've used Altbinz on my laptop with Ubuntu and Wine and had no problems with it. It has a core 2 duo or whatever they call the crap these days and 3 GB RAM.

sez
01-20-2010, 10:25 PM
You are encoding,its supposed to be slow,you can't fix a problem that's supposed to be a problem.

iLOVENZB
01-22-2010, 10:25 AM
What are you encoding a video or yEnc?

http://www.yenc.org/whatis.htm

HiDDENSKiLL
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
What are you encoding a video or yEnc?

http://www.yenc.org/whatis.htm

yEnc... Maybe the 10 connections is problem for slow encoding... I need that 10 conections if i want to hit at least 5mb speed with Newshosting...

whiteboy
01-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Yah a 1.2 ghz celeron is pretty damn gutless, thats your problem.

EyeBaller
01-24-2010, 09:33 PM
I think OP means "decoding" posts after they're downloaded, not encoding anything. And, as others have pointed out, the CPU/RAM is the bottle neck here. Time for a dual core computer to go with your 100mbit line.

Cabalo
01-24-2010, 10:46 PM
As everyone said before, the cpu is the biggest bottleneck, seconded by the low amount of ram.
Running software on wine drains additionally some resources, because wine creates an extra layer to run applications, an emulator if you want to consider it that way.

You could try SABnzbd (has all the features alt.binz does), which runs natively on linux, and only takes less than 20mb ram. It won't speed up your processing power, but at least it releases some resources taken by wine.

Which exact model is your cpu? Is it a celeron dual core? If its a E1200, you can overclock it to nearly 3ghz without touching voltages or buying any additional cooling. My download machine uses a E1200 overclocked to 3GHz, with 2GB ram and several RAID0 disks, and works fast.

EyeBaller
01-25-2010, 03:55 AM
As everyone said before, the cpu is the biggest bottleneck, seconded by the low amount of ram.
Running software on wine drains additionally some resources, because wine creates an extra layer to run applications, an emulator if you want to consider it that way.

You could try SABnzbd (has all the features alt.binz does), which runs natively on linux, and only takes less than 20mb ram. It won't speed up your processing power, but at least it releases some resources taken by wine.

Which exact model is your cpu? Is it a celeron dual core? If its a E1200, you can overclock it to nearly 3ghz without touching voltages or buying any additional cooling. My download machine uses a E1200 overclocked to 3GHz, with 2GB ram and several RAID0 disks, and works fast.

I don't think anything he does to his current system will make it decode as fast as he's downloading, needs a major update.

ericab
01-25-2010, 12:11 PM
i think this:

Memory 1GB

is your problem.

let me just take this oppertunity, to quote myself.

read above. :rolleyes: