PDA

View Full Version : OiNK Will Never Come Back

NkFy
01-20-2010, 05:37 PM
If you dont know Alan Ellis has declared not guilty but OiNK.cd tracker will never come back again. After ~3years the OiNK case was resolved with a possitive answer for OiNK owner.
OiNK was a legend in the bittorrent world between 2004-2007. Following a two-year investigation by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), and the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), the site was shut down by British and Dutch police agencies.
Music organisations has described Oink as an "online pirate pre-release music club", whereas former users described it as one of the world's largest and most meticulously maintained online music repositories.
OiNK.cd was an invite-only tracker with ~ 180.000 users and ~200.000 torrents uploaded. OiNK has shared high-quality MP3 and lossless formats such as FLAC, along with other formats such as Ogg Vorbis and M4A, with detailed meta data. The site also offered other types of files such as ebooks, computer software, and e-learning videos.

Alan Ellis

I'd like to express my thanks to all those who have been in touch offering their support over the years, and the huge amount of congratulations I've received over the past few days.
There were three main questions arising from the emails:

1. Will the site be returning? Absolutely not.
2. Will I be available for interview? No, sorry, I would like to get on with my life in peace now.
3. Where did I buy my coat? Wait, what!? Well, I'm almost ashamed to say, but it's from New Look, and judging by the fact that when I checked yesterday my local shop had more than 10 of them in stock for £30, it's not very popular!

Finally, a huge thank you to my excellent legal team, without which I wouldn't be here writing this right now.

anon
01-20-2010, 05:41 PM

It makes sense considering what he had to go through. There are also two great sites that have filled the gap.

Artemis
01-20-2010, 07:51 PM
1. Will the site be returning? Absolutely not.It makes sense considering what he had to go through. There are also two great sites that have filled the gap.

Although they are great sites, IMO they haven't 'filled the gap', there was something about OiNK which hasn't been replaced.

YoYoY
01-20-2010, 08:17 PM
1. Will the site be returning? Absolutely not.It makes sense considering what he had to go through. There are also two great sites that have filled the gap.

Yes right and we can't blame him for this.
we as bittorrent users , all we care about is the stuff we get from his site but when it comes to the police , he's the one who was caught. It's a wise decision :yup:

Tv Controls you
01-20-2010, 08:47 PM

It makes sense considering what he had to go through. There are also two great sites that have filled the gap.

There is only one I can think of :P

On topic though, I would love to see the return of oink, although I highly doubt through all of these court sessions and such he will reopen himself.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the court hearings aren't even nearly done, he was only freed of one charge.

kondrae
01-20-2010, 10:33 PM
All other charges were dropped before

ca_aok
01-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Although they are great sites, IMO they haven't 'filled the gap', there was something about OiNK which hasn't been replaced.
I always find this logic hilarious. It had fewer albums, stricter staff, and fewer features. It's gone, and it's not coming back. Even if it did come back, it'd have a hard time succeeding with What and Waffles already having huge bases of torrents and members. Just cherish the past and move on!

Tv Controls you
01-20-2010, 11:33 PM
I always find this logic hilarious. It had fewer albums, stricter staff, and fewer features. It's gone, and it's not coming back. Even if it did come back, it'd have a hard time succeeding with What and Waffles already having huge bases of torrents and members. Just cherish the past and move on!

I think he is just trying to say it was unlike any other tracker...

I sort of feel the same way about waffles :happy:, its a different vibe than any other tracker.

Oink still has fans till this day. Not many other sites have the fan base that oink still has. People still have the remember the pig logo, and such.
If oink was to come back, I'm sure tons of people would want to get in.

*Also your comparison between what & waffles to oink is bias to the fact Oink was shutdown a while ago.

Villalltheway
01-21-2010, 12:05 AM

Exactly even though the two sites probably have gone to surpase oink there still is that 'something' that oink had that hasnt ever been replicated.

Hellenback
01-21-2010, 12:30 AM

Always room for more good sites...takes a bit of nerve these days (and a lot of work)!

anon
01-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Not certain which ones you are speaking of but likely Wxxxxss and what.cd

Yes, the two big Ws.

sez
01-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Knfy,I dunno but if you are looking for people to read your blog then you gotta go easy on these threads of yours,I wanna say alot of bad things about you coz I think you are just spamming the place and obviously coz your posts are almost always ridiculous(you are like the only one who thought oink would be back) but I'll let it go coz I have a feeling that you pay to post but am not really sure.

cinephilia
01-21-2010, 01:06 AM
Oink still has fans till this day. Not many other sites have the fan base that oink still has. People still have the remember the pig logo, and such.
the reason is simple: OiNK was the first really huge music torrentsite online on the web.

th0r
01-21-2010, 06:54 AM
i miss oink

and for the record, i was the one who designed the black and pink style sheet

:happy:

Cabalo
01-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Knfy,I dunno but if you are looking for people to read your blog then you gotta go easy on these threads of yours,I wanna say alot of bad things about you coz I think you are just spamming the place and obviously coz your posts are almost always ridiculous(you are like the only one who thought oink would be back) but I'll let it go coz I have a feeling that you pay to post but am not really sure.
:lol: Take it easy, he is not a sponsor of fst.

Now that would be a good deal, make people pay to post. Poor ol' megabyteme :happy:

phrenzy
01-21-2010, 11:36 AM
i miss oink

and...

hwyang97
01-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm just thankful he walked away from the court smiling. congrats.

kukushka
01-21-2010, 01:32 PM
i miss oink

and...
praise him. NOW! ;)

dragoi92
01-21-2010, 02:32 PM
I think that OINK v2 will be here.

whiteboy
01-21-2010, 03:37 PM

And even if it came back it would never be the same as it was in its hay day.