PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3.6 is Officially Ready for Download

Darth Sushi
01-22-2010, 08:10 AM
http://media.bestofmicro.com/mozilla-firefox,H-B-219647-1.jpgFirefox 3.6 is Officially Ready for Download
by Marcus Yam, January 21, 2010

" Get ready for a newer, fresher Firefox.

After a number of beta and release candidates, Mozilla has finally let loose the latest version of Firefox, bringing the free browser up to version 3.6.

For Firefox users, the latest version has one obvious reason to upgrade – speed. Mozilla says that its newest browser is more than 20 percent faster than Firefox 3.5.

Other new things in Firefox 3.6 include:

* Personas: Personalize the look of your Firefox by selecting new themes called Personas in a single click and without a restart
* Plugin Updater: To keep you safe from potential security vulnerabilities, Firefox will now detect out of date plugins
* Stability improvements: Firefox 3.6 significantly decreased crashes caused by third party software – all without sacrificing our extensibility in any way
* Form Complete: When filling out an online form, Firefox suggests information for fields based on your common answers in similar field
* Performance: Improved JavaScript performance, overall browser responsiveness, and startup time
* Open Video and Audio: With the world’s best implementation of HTML 5 audio and video support, now video can be displayed full screen and supports poster frames

Check out this video for more:

04Q9tuSaCYA
Firefox 3.6 New Features

Download Firefox 3.6 for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux here. (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html) "

:source: Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/firefox-3.6-mozilla-download-browser,9490.html

mr. nails
01-22-2010, 06:17 PM
got this earlier this morning. firefox FTW!!!

i recently formatted my PC and put win7 on. while doing so i used IE8 for the 1st time. lol, omgwtfgtfo! IE8 is pretty terrible. most of the sites i went to with IE8 were so damn slow it was pathetic. i'm not saying all the sites i frequent, but most. i forced myself to continue to use it and customize it in hopes i could make it run @ least 50% faster than it currently was. needless to say i failed. installed firefox 3.5 and zoom!!!! off i went.

thx mozilla!

edit*

so, personas, huh? seems they've been around for awhile, but i never bothered until now with 3.6. i kinda prefer them opposed to themes. i really like the way u can mouse over it and it "auto changes" ur browser so u know wtf it will look like. what's bad is that most of the submissions just don't work well. u see the picture of the persona, but when u mouse over the pic it doesn't quite fit properly in the browser. hopefully, submissions will get better. basically the bottom forth of the persona needs to be blank, solid color or sumthing other than what is going to be viewed in the browser.

MagicNakor
01-22-2010, 11:07 PM
How is it, stability-wise? I don't much care for themes/plugins so the downward trend in stability and increasing trend in resource-use over the past several releases has been disappointing. I've used and loved Firefox for quite some years, but am getting the feeling that it may be time to seek out another.

:shuriken:

tesco
01-22-2010, 11:41 PM
How is it, stability-wise? I don't much care for themes/plugins so the downward trend in stability and increasing trend in resource-use over the past several releases has been disappointing. I've used and loved Firefox for quite some years, but am getting the feeling that it may be time to seek out another.

They claim it's more stable now than before.

But for me I haven't had firefox crash in a long time. I've been using the 3.6 beta5 for a month and am now on the final release and it hasn't crashed.

phauk
01-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I must admit, Firefox is definately the most stable browser I have ever used!

Over here, Google seem to be doing alot of advertising (in newspapers etc) for Chrome, but tbh, I still prefer FF, you just can't beat it.

SonsOfLiberty
01-24-2010, 04:43 AM

But for me I haven't had firefox crash in a long time. I've been using the 3.6 beta5 for a month and am now on the final release and it hasn't crashed.

I normally start my PC when I wake up and let it sleep/run all day, but I always have Firefox open, I contantly always save TABS, and have tons or add-ons/themes intstalled, for the longest time I could have doezens of add-ons isntalled (prolly like 30 right now :lol:) and it would never crash, but now if I have it running more than 3 hours (now this varies, it's about every other time, and I've sent them the bug report, at least 50x in the last 2 months) it will crash every time I click download and then click save, boom on save it crashes, most annoying bug ever :lol:

And for FFS like 10 of my add-ons don't work, some of my best ones, auto save folder/try again/tabs open relative, sigh....

Rart
01-26-2010, 03:27 AM

I've never had any issues with FireFox before either.

Unfortunately now I'm getting some stability issues as well, it's crashing a couple times when I view PDF's. A little disappointing TBH :dabs:

Xiomax
03-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Long live Firefox