PDA

View Full Version : The PS3 is Hacked!

kondrae
01-24-2010, 12:46 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=29657

In yo face! Straight from Geohot himself… You know, the first person who successfully unlocked the iPhone (http://www.iphone-hacks.com/2007/08/23/geohots-guide-to-a-full-hardware-iphone-unlock/), has again outdone himself: he’s hacked the PS3. Oooh — that must feel good.
Read it and weep… To quote Geohot verbatim –
I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1.
3 years, 2 months, 11 days…thats a pretty secure system
Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.
The exploit itself isn’t released yet, but if you take a look here (http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/), you’ll see what’s up. It’s legit.
Stay tuned… Big things ahead. And you know that!
- source: geohotps3 (http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/hello-hypervisor-im-geohot.html)

:source: Source: PS3-Hacks.com (http://www.ps3-hacks.com/)

SonsOfLiberty
01-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Few faults with this...okay, yes it's hacked, but hacking the "now defunct PS3" the big one, so obviously the hardware is going to be different with new things going on inside the slim, for one thing it's not backward compatible so the code will be different.

Next, I think we should start a poll on this, but how many people here would download a PS3 at 50GB? Let alone how many people have Bluray Burners (I'm sure quite a few, but not enough) and how many are willing to pay for the insane price on the BD-50 (sure it might be able to get scrubbed (junk data removed), but I can tell you I beat there using up most of the disc space on that disk, just imagine God Of War 3 for free)? Shit I think for on BD-50 there like $10, still you save $50, but most people are capped and I beat their capped at 50GB, and if not, some people will be like okay no problem to get this, just imagine the download times let alone? ....this will still be for the rich and who can afford it, which will not be many right now..now we are gonna have endless thread about is it region free, does it have to be burned on Bluray (duh?) and why won't it work, how do I flash it :lol: This is a VERY long way from being actual playable and do what end you can use it

Oh and you know Sony is going to come with a firmware update to fuck with this guy now :lol: And any future models that are being made will have additional security checks, but I'm sure if he is still cracking all versions of the iPhone I'm sure he can get back, can you say "lawsuit" :lol: Dude will be visited by MIB very soon, you can beat that, since he's stupid enough to say what "city" he's located it, track IP/Whois/Owner of his blog and they got him....better release the code soon.

Note: If you think this changes the "console war tide" it won't, people are still not gonna buy PS3's, the gaming selection isn't there yet, maybe 20 "good games at most" and maybe 5-10 "great games" plus PSN just doesn't compare to XBL yet....the PS3 is still a good buy with Bluray, but also hinders it in the cost of "BD's", DVDR's are way cheaper :lol: PS3 is getting there, soon they will be ='s, but not yet.

Rart
01-24-2010, 01:29 AM
What exactly do we have in terms of proof that he has actually hacked it?

SonsOfLiberty
01-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Those links and what Google say right now, just web sites and some guy saying it's hacked....I wouldn't doubt it though, think the 360 started the same way.

iLOVENZB
01-24-2010, 02:56 AM
OMFGWTFGTFO 1337!!!!!!

Seriously I remember some guy on TL claimed the same thing .... fake. I want proof first :).

lightshow
01-24-2010, 03:36 AM
Well, if the PS3 can be modded to the point where you can just play backups (like the firmware xbox360 hack), then if nothing else, more blueray burners and blueray media will be sold.

If the industry sees this pickup and reacts by producing more media, we may get media moving in at a cheaper price.

This is, however, if the modification of the ps3 is done by a simple (see wii modding) way that the mass can do on their own.

It would be nice to get blueray media on the cheap...

lol87
01-24-2010, 04:46 PM
I can't wait untill the cracked patch will be released.

SonsOfLiberty
01-24-2010, 06:42 PM
We don't even have proof it's real yet, there have been claims before it's been hacked....

"He" only states he's inside of it, he's still got to dump/decode/decompile and will still take awhile.

ugk4life
01-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Few faults with this...okay, yes it's hacked, but hacking the "now defunct PS3" the big one, so obviously the hardware is going to be different with new things going on inside the slim, for one thing it's not backward compatible so the code will be different.

Next, I think we should start a poll on this, but how many people here would download a PS3 at 50GB? Let alone how many people have Bluray Burners (I'm sure quite a few, but not enough) and how many are willing to pay for the insane price on the BD-50 (sure it might be able to get scrubbed (junk data removed), but I can tell you I beat there using up most of the disc space on that disk, just imagine God Of War 3 for free)? Shit I think for on BD-50 there like $10, still you save $50, but most people are capped and I beat their capped at 50GB, and if not, some people will be like okay no problem to get this, just imagine the download times let alone? ....this will still be for the rich and who can afford it, which will not be many right now..now we are gonna have endless thread about is it region free, does it have to be burned on Bluray (duh?) and why won't it work, how do I flash it :lol: This is a VERY long way from being actual playable and do what end you can use it

Oh and you know Sony is going to come with a firmware update to fuck with this guy now :lol: And any future models that are being made will have additional security checks, but I'm sure if he is still cracking all versions of the iPhone I'm sure he can get back, can you say "lawsuit" :lol: Dude will be visited by MIB very soon, you can beat that, since he's stupid enough to say what "city" he's located it, track IP/Whois/Owner of his blog and they got him....better release the code soon.

Note: If you think this changes the "console war tide" it won't, people are still not gonna buy PS3's, the gaming selection isn't there yet, maybe 20 "good games at most" and maybe 5-10 "great games" plus PSN just doesn't compare to XBL yet....the PS3 is still a good buy with Bluray, but also hinders it in the cost of "BD's", DVDR's are way cheaper :lol: PS3 is getting there, soon they will be ='s, but not yet.

this dude supposedly hacked the iphone, why would he lie about hacking the ps3? also, not all ps3 games r 50gb. most r nowhere near 50gb. think about it, why would a multi-console game, like madden 10, be 50gb on the ps3 when it is only 6.5gb on the 360.

if u don't think this will boost ps3 sales, u r insane. hacked consoles tend to do very well, ps1, ps2, psp, x360, wii, nds. now i'm not saying it will surpass consoles "x" in sales but i'm sure there will be a huge boost ion ps3 sales.

WakeMeUp
01-24-2010, 11:19 PM
No need to rumor now, we have to see the hack ourselves.

SonsOfLiberty
01-25-2010, 12:51 AM

this dude supposedly hacked the iphone, why would he lie about hacking the ps3? also, not all ps3 games r 50gb. most r nowhere near 50gb. think about it, why would a multi-console game, like madden 10, be 50gb on the ps3 when it is only 6.5gb on the 360.

if u don't think this will boost ps3 sales, u r insane. hacked consoles tend to do very well, ps1, ps2, psp, x360, wii, nds. now i'm not saying it will surpass consoles "x" in sales but i'm sure there will be a huge boost ion ps3 sales.

They "should be" 50GB, it has to be a 1:1 copy like Xbox360 games, and there all (generally speaking) dual layer DVD size....okay so they won't be 50GB, but judging from ones that have pre'd, they must have removed junk data somehow (and we don't even know if they will work) are averaging over 12GB per game....

:lol: does everyone realize how long it will take to get a working product out? And not get you banned from PSN (oh that's right no one cares about PSN, IMO), you can't just say I hacked it and here it is....it will be like the way the 360 started, they will need to run a battery of test and I'm sure the guy will not release the software to do it...he will release the code and someone else will take it from there.....I'm speculating that we won't see a finished product till at least middle year, maybe end of year...so betime they get a could hack out, they will be close to releasing the new consoles, and I'm sure Sony can fix the hack with a simple update just like Microsoft did to ban almost everyone. Just speculation, I like to guess and try to think logically, I'm not fan boy as you can see in my sig I own both and play both quite alot, the PS3 is more flexible in every way (mainly bluray), but I like XBL, and the 360's game selection, I just can't find shit really for the PS3, I can but I've played them long ago on 360....so dunno I'm sure it will drive sales, but I think it will be a long wait for a finished product, hell remember this is the same guy that "sold" the iPhone hack :lol:

WHiKWiRE
01-25-2010, 05:34 AM
dare i say ps3 homebrew...

iLOVENZB
01-25-2010, 06:41 AM

They scene ps3 dumps range from 20-50GB, I assume they didn't use store mode when they packaged it?

Does the 360 even support 1080p gaming? That would be a contributing factor for the difference in file size. Cutscenes in 1080p are larger than 720p. Then again PSP's UMD's have 'dummy' files like UPDATE and other useless stuff.

bonopoxed
01-26-2010, 01:48 AM
On abgxnet there are scene releases for around 5gb, dark void for one. There padded out like they use to be for the ps2. The ISO loader on the ps2 was cool. Download it and then install to the HDD with no disc involved. Just the way gaming should be hehehe

iLOVENZB
01-26-2010, 02:14 AM
On abgxnet there are scene releases for around 5gb, dark void for one. There padded out like they use to be for the ps2. The ISO loader on the ps2 was cool. Download it and then install to the HDD with no disc involved. Just the way gaming should be hehehe

They all are around 5-6GB (size of a DL DVD). Some games like Mass Effect 2 are 2DVD sizes

PlayStation 3 'hacked' by iPhone cracker

... the hack would allow people to play older PS2 games on their consoles.

Read more: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8478764.stm

BREAKiNG NEWS: PS3 XMB Hole found; Blu-ray Back-Ups Bootable!!!

For starters, this specific PS3 XMB Hole is currently present in PS3 v1.00-1.11 Firmware. Jumping ahead briefly... it's now believed the reason why the GODS @ Paradox hinted that v1.60+ Firmware was NOT recommended to update to was simply because there is no OtherOS installer present. Also, at this time it's important to NOTE that PS3 Blu-ray Disc back-ups will boot but not run just yet.

Read more: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/site-news/breaking-news-playstation-3-xmb-hole-found-blu-ray-back-ups-bootable-75883.html#ixzz0dgDFnYYT

^^^ Interesting articles including the leak of the PS3 SDK (last link)

According to a friend it seems that only PS3 Phat works because the hack needs OtherOS.

Rart
01-27-2010, 02:47 AM
He's released it:

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/heres-your-silver-platter.html

Although I'm more than clueless as how the PS3 functions, perhaps someone else could shed some light on it.

bonopoxed
01-27-2010, 03:28 AM
Yeah hopefully there will be a few people now seeing what they can do with it.

captive
01-27-2010, 04:02 AM
for the life of me i cant see the point, when you add up the bluray burner, blanks, hundreds of GB in downloading, sony updates, the limits of it all with working on specific ps3 versions and the likes, why bother?

i can get a secondhand ps3 game few weeks after release from local shops for less than half price. and its complete without the threat of crashing, bits missing and getting banned from psn and the likes.

this seems like an exercise in futility to me, the practical applications for it are pointless, maybe people should just think the PS3 is a great piece of kit, the outstanding system in its market, so leave alone and pay a few quid.

bonopoxed
01-27-2010, 09:47 PM
As previously mentioned, the games are not as big as they seem. Most will have been padded out a fair bit just like in the old ps2 days. Obviously games such as Metal Gear Solid which had around 3 days worth of video clips will fill a dual layer Blu ray disc. But who the fuc# wants to watch 3 days worth of video from a video game!

SonsOfLiberty
01-28-2010, 01:42 AM
for the life of me i cant see the point, when you add up the bluray burner, blanks, hundreds of GB in downloading, sony updates, the limits of it all with working on specific ps3 versions and the likes, why bother?

i can get a secondhand ps3 game few weeks after release from local shops for less than half price. and its complete without the threat of crashing, bits missing and getting banned from psn and the likes.

this seems like an exercise in futility to me, the practical applications for it are pointless, maybe people should just think the PS3 is a great piece of kit, the outstanding system in its market, so leave alone and pay a few quid.

That's what I say, sound way more complicated of the Xbox hacks....PSN is not that "cool" :noes: I like both systems, I bought a slim so I could have Bluray and good BD players were same price so figured meh, it's credited to be the best one....but for games I can't say so far, Drakes are good, and MGS is awesome, I use it for USB and HD movies more than anything right now. Also the hack is for the "fat" model anyway, anyone want to go spent $500 on em' that's a "right now price" once people realize what's going on they will sell them for like $1000 or they will disappear, granted more than "half" probably own the fatty version... but the GB's are double a 1080p movie and most people have caps and not to mention blanks are insanely expensive, I could see this "a very good" idea in about 2 years from now when BD discs are the price of DVDRs, basically forcing people to switch...took me 5 years to get a HDTV and Hi-DEF systems :lol:

Rart
01-28-2010, 03:58 AM
Can anyone actually explain what the exploit he released actually does (in english)?

Judging from the blog's comments, either this exploit is too damn complex for the average user to play backups, it doesn't actually play backups, or both.

And I know very little about coding and I don't even own a PS3, so I'm probably even more clueless.

Curious minds want to know however.

bonopoxed
01-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Basically he's found a way into the ps3 so things can be developed. This is a quote from the Root Labs Explanation about the hack -
"It is quite possible someone will package this attack into a modchip since the glitch, while somewhat narrow, does not need to be very precisely timed. With a microcontroller and a little analog circuitry for the pulse, this could be quite reliable. However, it is more likely that a software bug will be found after reverse-engineering the dumped hypervisor and that is what will be deployed for use by the masses.
"

SonsOfLiberty
01-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Also, only works on "phat" PS3, and of course, now that the hack is known prices will skyrocket just like it did when GTASA sex scene in-gme the original version went up on EBAY 50x it's normal value...I had it and then when I got the PS3 I sold it for a $1, guess I should have kept it, a collectors item or sorts...they fixed that bug, so I assume future versions of the PS3 will also do this, so in conclusion PS3 phats already go for $500, most are the MGS4 bundles....yikes.

bonopoxed
01-29-2010, 03:21 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but thats PS3 phat as opposed to ps3 slim. So this wont work on the slim then? I have a launch 60gb phat model.

iLOVENZB
01-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but thats PS3 phat as opposed to ps3 slim. So this wont work on the slim then? I have a launch 60gb phat model.

At the moment it needs OtherOS which the Slim doesn't have. George has basically cracked the lid and needs to get inside the box. I'm sure other devs are onto it too.