PDA

View Full Version : why do you use file sharing??

miss
01-25-2010, 05:08 PM
hi,

Im writing a dissertation on music:huh: file sharing and would like to know why people use file sharing. I Would also like to know how much music you roughly download per month....

if you post your comments I will be very grateful! :D

p.s This is just for my uni work :cool:

anon
01-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Im writing a dissertation on music:huh: file sharing and would like to know why people use file sharing.

In my case it's because I don't have enough money to pay for certain software, albums, etc. (my country's exchange rate doesn't help either, to convert from euros to my local currency you have to multiply by 5 :blink:), or simply don't want to.

I Would also like to know how much music you roughly download per month....

An average would be anywhere from 5 to 10 albums a month. Sometimes I download enough music to fill a DVD5 in a few days, sometimes I don't.

CokeCola
01-25-2010, 07:47 PM
for me Filesharingtalk this is best of the best forum :)

anon
01-25-2010, 07:51 PM
He said filesharing, not FST :D

WakeMeUp
01-25-2010, 08:01 PM
I guess...to share files? :)
As already stated, the main reason to download are the way too high prices out there. Sharing involves a variety of factors, and the most common one is the sense of community. And not only meant as a tracker community.

I download like less than 5 gb of music per month :P

Sonnentier
01-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Im writing a dissertation on music file sharing and would like to know why people use file sharing.
If you would like to listen to music, you need a method to do this obviously. With the improvement of technology digital music became practical.
And the great thing about digital music - it's free, not only in the sense of possibilities but also from an economic point of view.

Today MP3-Players are popular for music listening, and file sharing is a great way to charge them with music, so I guess that's why people use it.

iLOVENZB
01-25-2010, 11:36 PM
hi,

Im writing a dissertation on music:huh: file sharing and would like to know why people use file sharing. I Would also like to know how much music you roughly download per month....

if you post your comments I will be very grateful! :D

p.s This is just for my uni work :cool:

Takes 6mths before music from the US gets here. So thanks to H3X (and other grps know for leaks) I can get it a month before the US does :P.

I'm capped to 50gb/mo and I use it all.

Why should I wait x amount longer just because of my location? That's if it's not banned by the time it gets here :shutup:.

Violator
01-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Thrill of the chase.

captive
01-27-2010, 04:10 AM
dont get caught up in the "i like to share, anti big business" crap. its plain and simple, coz i get dozens and dozens of films,music,appz etc for 6quid pm from NG. done.

Cabalo
01-27-2010, 04:30 AM
I download less than 1GB mp3 per month.
I do it for many reasons, way too many.
But to enumerate one of the most important ones, the comfort. One click away, nearly instantly I get the album, and I pay nothing.
Is this perfect? Yes, it is.

I use both torrents and usenet (mostly the latter).

QPD
01-27-2010, 05:50 AM
hi,
Why people use file sharing.

Cause I don't have enough money to spend on everything that appears.I respect certain authors and producers and I buy the cd/dvd in original after listening, but that is nearly 0,001% from what I download.

The second reason is that sometimes with all the good intentions to buy something, you cannot find it even in NYC Virgin Records store...and then here in BTw I can access it within minutes!

I download @ 30 gb/week of music...some of it ( less than 5% )survive to see the next week, and i increase my collection with @ 1-2 gb/month.

Lisa
01-27-2010, 01:05 PM
I have it almost be called a hobby, but it is not only specifically to download music using ....

cinephilia
01-27-2010, 02:43 PM
i feel pity for you.

seriously, how can downloading files be a hobby ?

Violator
01-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Erm, because it's something you enjoy doing?

schlappschwanz
01-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Im downloading 4-5 albums per month. I do it because i want to be able to take the music with me in my ipod or pda without being bound to any service(such as spotify etc).I havn't bought an album in store the last 10 years, but i have bought ~10 mp3-tracks on the interwebs.

iLOVENZB
01-28-2010, 05:47 AM
i feel pity for you.

seriously, how can downloading files be a hobby ?

Race pres .... earn income ;)

Carnios
01-30-2010, 06:07 AM
I rarely download music. I used to a lot, but have found it too time consuming to maintain a good collection. While I can get it all for free it's just too much work. I prefer listening to Pandora where it makes lists better than I ever can.

I used to download to get all the songs I wanted while I couldn't afford them. Probably one album every 2 weeks on average.

Schrutastic
01-30-2010, 06:19 AM
I'll download the handful of albums of pop music my wife wants each year.

I have no good reason to download. I could pay for it. I pay plenty for entertainment as is. I guess it's just an old habit.

m4n4g3r
01-31-2010, 03:11 PM
that's a good article in german, which could be useful for you:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Studie-Netzneutralitaet-rechnet-sich-903851.html

i share files coz i prefer to have my stuff available digitally.
(coz my flat is not large enough)
i share files coz i can get things this way i would never get at all.

freak12345
04-12-2010, 02:33 PM
i guess because i love freebies... :)

lionz123
04-14-2010, 02:04 AM
i am not quite involved in music.
but i use filesharing becuse

01]
sharing is a good thing.

02]
i got my all necessory stuff from there.
all os and adobe master collection softwares

03]
total training /lynda and cartoon smart copilot /and others good tutorial files
i got all the study material related to gfx.

04]
and of course everyone can not offord htat huge cost,
in my case of course i can not afford that all os/adobe softaware/tutorial files. at the same time.

05]
last but not least i just come to know about all new stuff which we never come to here withought file sharing.

Disme
04-14-2010, 06:12 AM
But to enumerate one of the most important ones, the comfort. One click away, nearly instantly I get the album, and I pay nothing.
Is this perfect? Yes, it is.

Sums up perfectly why I use Filesharing.

Whenever my kids ask me for a movie, a CD or a game I am able to provide it for them within minutes. I don't have to go to out of the house either.

About the volume ... depends from month to month.

F4LSE
04-14-2010, 06:35 AM
I mainly file share because i like the concept of it all and i honestly couldnt afford to buy all the games, movies, music, and software that my lil mind desires :D

Unthinkable
04-15-2010, 02:31 AM
i use file sharing to download music, ebook, movies...

newfish
04-18-2010, 11:13 AM
well its really expensive to buy original applications and paying for movies..r u kidding me..thats why i use file sharing.

TONiC
04-18-2010, 05:14 PM
I fileshare because I am a youth of this generation; it's in my blood.

lued_00
04-18-2010, 09:50 PM
couple of years ago, i wasn't able to purchase the cd/vinyl itself, was just an mp3 file on my pc, but now with paypal and all that stuff, now and then when i hear something nice i try to support the band/artist by purchasing something from them, music is a major part of my life; i'd say roughly 10gb per month

ironcrotch
04-19-2010, 06:37 PM
file sharing helps me find stuff i can't find locally.

also it's introduced me to artists i never would have learned about

letemfree
04-20-2010, 12:19 AM
well i use file sharing to get good and valuable info about the tech world.

its a great forum with lots of good quality people who keep on posting good quality material.

cheers friends

Expeto
04-20-2010, 04:53 AM
because I'm just another cheap bastard, who doesn't like to pay :)

anon
04-20-2010, 04:35 PM
well i use file sharing to get good and valuable info about the tech world.

its a great forum with lots of good quality people who keep on posting good quality material.

The thread's about filesharing, not FileSharingTalk :lol:

phauk
04-20-2010, 04:54 PM
coz i'm a pirate, arrrr :P

DATTER
04-20-2010, 10:29 PM
I do not like paying for something that can not experience first, like movies.
But i'm also addicted to downloads :shutup:

jayism
04-21-2010, 04:23 AM
I download about 10 albums per year. I only listen to music in the car so I do not have a big demand for it. I download music because I tend to loose or ruin my CD's before too long and that costs me $30 AU. So it is easier and cheaper to download. I do download alot of movies and tv shows though.

As for getting music 6mths after the US, this is overly exadurated. I live in the same country, and top40 music is here about the same month as US.

cappy
04-25-2010, 11:46 AM
to get everything for free

xCode
04-25-2010, 08:21 PM
I guess because I cant buy every software I want...

fileshatra
05-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Cause i can't spend 500 Euros for Windows 7!

And then cuz on P2P there are things really rare that's impossible to find in other place.

AlexJ
05-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Way too many reasons,
It's hard to get music from stores because i live very far from any,
And alot of the music i listen too dosen't get released in stores near me,
The price is too high too, about 15 euros for an album with 8 songs on is ridiculous.But then there are many more reasons.

Tutela
05-02-2010, 12:35 PM
When I started it was because I wanted to listen to certain songs, and youtube wasnt popular, now its because Ive gotten into a habit, and spend my money on other things. I guess I could buy some more music, but why bother when I can have it for free. only use torrents, download about 10 albums a month on average

doctrine9128
05-06-2010, 02:28 AM
i consider myself an average downloader. i download a lot of my music in flac because acquiring music of this quality is difficult to find legally. I listen to a lot of indie music also if that helps your essay

ramenchef
05-06-2010, 07:30 AM
I download more for the purposes of demoing or sampling than anything. If the product is good, I support the developers and such by purchasing the said item. I wish they put more money into developing solid products instead of trying to curb piracy which is just a waste of money.