PDA

View Full Version : Triangle (deep question)

Tv Controls you
01-26-2010, 04:08 AM
*contains slight spoilers* For all those who didn't watch the movie, watch it..

Only my family would watch a movie and dig so deep for the meaning. :D Anyway...

Was jess (the main character) really imagining the whole movie or was the movie indeed repeating itself.

And if so was there at one point in time 3 jess's?

My parents take on the movie:
My parents seem to think its all part of jess's insanity (dual personality type of deal) and its all in her head.

My take on the movie:
I thought the boat was cursed in way, and that everything they did they just continually repeated it. They said the name of the boat, was named after some god who cheated death...
I believe that they all cheated death by reliving the ends of their lives..

*I try proving my point of view but everything I say they back up and say it was all part of her crazy imagination.
Actually all I have to do is prove them wrong... which is why I asked is their really 3 of jess at one point or is it just a figment of her insanity.

Albo Da Kid
01-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Damn I actually had this movie on my brother's laptop yesterday but I deleted it because I didn't think it was going to be any good, but from what you wrote it sounds like a very interesting movie.
I'm going to re0download it and I'll be back to say what I thought about it

MagicNakor
01-26-2010, 10:15 AM
What was the boat's name?

:shuriken:

MagicNakor
01-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Shoop double post

:shuriken:

IdolEyes787
01-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Parents 1 Tv Controls you 0

Name of the ship is the Aeolus btw

Either it is a dream from a catatonic state induce by guilt or the mumbo jumbo tie in to the Greek gods is all true and she ain't in Kansas anymore.Either way to parapahse the kid in Matrix, (in the way we define reality ) there is no ship.

On a more important note Melissa George is hot .

Tv Controls you
01-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Parents 1 Tv Controls you 0

Name of the ship is the Aeolus btw

Either it is a dream from a catatonic state induce by guilt or the mumbo jumbo tie in to the Greek gods is all true and she ain't in Kansas anymore.Either way to parapahse the kid in Matrix, (in the way we define reality ) there is no ship.

On a more important note Melissa George is hot .

Then how does sally send a distress call to victor before they even get on the Aeolus.

More importantly at one point in the movie was their really more than one jess, or was that just her insanity.

IdolEyes787
01-26-2010, 03:09 PM
I think that the fact that there was more than one Jess and that she apparently? was also victim and killer shows that it wasn't reality.Notice that the blood on Jess's face after the car crash and the blood on one doppleganger on the ship is exactly the same. She is projecting different versions of herself to confront different unsettled issues or to punish herself for her failings Either that or the writer is as clueless as to what is happening as everyone else and just threw in stuff that he thought was scary/profound at random and then went and had a beer.

Of course as has been the plotline in other movies she simply might never have woken up/died in the original crash and everything after that is a dream/hell/whatever

I also think the mere fact that the writer put in all the foreshadowing/back-story rules out the easy explanation that it was just some random " ghost ship" that she just unluckily found herself upon.IShe might have cheated death but that doesn't explain the other people or did I miss something.

The Flying Cow
01-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Also it's strange that once she arrives home at the end of the cycle to see what she was like with her autistic son (and we see the truth; that she wasn't a little angel, but knocked him around a bit, and kept losing her cool) she has no botches on her tanktop, even though she's just been through surviving the whole misadventure on the Aeolus and landed on the shore (also notice she wakes up on the beach with her sandles still on after she's just been carried by the waves for an indefinite amount of time).

To be honest I thought the movie proposed to show some sort of purgatory, where you can't move forward until you actually acknowledge your actions. Supposing the car crash was her fault and she is to blame for her son's untimely death, this line of reasoning could make sense.

Tv Controls you
01-26-2010, 09:02 PM
I also think the mere fact that the writer put in all the foreshadowing/back-story rules out the easy explanation that it was just some random " ghost ship" that she just unluckily found herself upon.IShe might have cheated death but that doesn't explain the other people or did I miss something.

That is what I'm trying to prove.

That its not a focus on her insanity but rather there is something going on that is larger than the people. (ie higher being involved or in this case the ship named after that god)

My parents tend to believe that every single action and everything that is seen is through her own insane point of view (and may be a dream).
I believe what happened was really happening within the movie.

I also tried backing my story by saying "how did victor see himself get shot by jess, and then jess come into the theater and try to help him."
Victor saw two of her, so did the other guy who got stabbed in the back of the neck by her. Sally made a distress call to victor over the microphone, before they even boarded the boat.

But their rebuttal is always it wasn't really happening, it was all in jess's head.

Meathelm
10-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Hey Guys. I registered on here just to post on this thread. (Crazy huh?) But i am actually a HUGE fan of this film

I get what you are saying TV, but you missed a vital part. in the film the boat is called Aeolus. Aeolus is used alot in greek mythology as he is the son of Poseiden. He is the "keeper of the winds" which is why i think the winds died (when they were on the ship) and the storm came. Aeolus is the father of Sisyphus. Sisyphus tricked death and therefore was punished in pushing a boulder up a hill; only to watch it roll back down again. he was forced to repeat this task over and over again until the end of time.

I think that Triangle is a modern day story of that event. Jess is Sisyphus, and the "boulder" her son dying and not being able to save him. She is forced to repeat the same events over and over again, and although slightly aware of the day repeating (Deja Vu and her future self telling her to kill them all) she cannot do anything to break the cycle and has to do the same task over and over as punishment.

the only part i cant understand is as to why she is forced to do this by death..