PDA

View Full Version : Slowww

Gre1
10-17-2003, 11:42 AM
I need help, I want to know if i can fix my processor because it is going slow it can't load web pages anymore, while I am typing on this board it doesn't show the words until I'm finished typing, and it takes forever to encode movies now. That's when the problem started I encoded a movie (T3 :D) and when it was done now it just goes slow, so do I have to just go buy another one or can I fix this one.

zapjb
10-17-2003, 11:58 AM
More info needed. Specs, maintenance, & experience for starters.

Gre1
10-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Well the processor is a old Celeron 600Mhz, 512 memory that should be enough if u need more just let me know what u need to know and also sorry about not adding that the first time

ilw
10-17-2003, 01:08 PM
what have you got running at the same time, this is more likely a software problem than a hardware one. Open task manager and see whats running (ctrl alt del), look for anything using a lot of resources, you could also try running an anti adware & spyware program like spybot or adaware.

zapjb
10-17-2003, 02:09 PM
zapjb Posted on 17 October 2003 - 06:58
More info needed. Specs, maintenance, & experience for starters.

You answered the first question. Now 2 & 3 please.

Gre1
10-17-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by ilw@17 October 2003 - 08:08
what have you got running at the same time, this is more likely a software problem than a hardware one. Open task manager and see whats running (ctrl alt del), look for anything using a lot of resources, you could also try running an anti adware & spyware program like spybot or adaware.
There is nothing running every time I start my computer I shut everything down except explorer, systray, hidserv so it isn't anything running I'm very sure it's the processor but I don't if I have to replace it or buy a new because I wan't a new one but if there something I can do with this one then I would like to know and my experience with processor isn't that good but it's not that hard for me to learn, but the rest of the comp I just about know about and it is a well kept, clean comp.

zapjb
10-17-2003, 03:45 PM
Well kept?

Lamsey
10-17-2003, 03:54 PM
To be honest, I'd be very surprised if this was a hardware problem. It sounds like there is some configuration issue somewhere.

A judicious reinstallation of Windows will fix it, but that's rather draconian...

Gre1
10-17-2003, 04:01 PM
I want to do a full restore and just restart the comp from start but I don't have my recovery disc anymore because I lost it somehow, but I will try that and see what happens.

djweiser
10-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Gre1@17 October 2003 - 16:01
I want to do a full restore and just restart the comp from start but I don't have my recovery disc anymore because I lost it somehow, but I will try that and see what happens.
download a version of windows frm klite then.

the windows 2000 download is very good.

recovery disks suck, they just put tones of sh*t on ya pc (usually AOL trials)

Gre1
10-17-2003, 05:24 PM
No, a recovery disc will reset it to factory settings just like when u bought it, a clean everything.

cwctv
10-17-2003, 05:49 PM
I too think something is running in the back ground its a bit weird it only started after T3 !!!
If you mean "overclock" it not possible unless in the cmos if goes up in 1 mhz's mine does then with that speed you wouldn't get much more speed go here and you will see what I mean.
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20000511/pentiumiii-05.html

It could be a memory problem with your video card that draws they can go down just like that, test it not online to see if it can open a picture quickly then another an another and see when it slows down should be able to open lots depending on how much memory the card as.

bigdawgfoxx
10-18-2003, 01:20 AM
Ok look at my specs...and my comp runs fast! Within reason lol....Reformat your harddrive and reinstall windows!

Edit: I only have 320MB of ram

Gre1
10-18-2003, 03:25 AM
YEah, it used to be fast but now it is just slow it loads up pages slow, it opens up programs way slower than it used to and when I type on the internet I don't see what I write as I type I have to wait until I complete the word or the sentence.

topgun396
10-19-2003, 07:34 AM
Sounds like mass adware on your system, Or you could have a virus.
try turning your browsers cache up and clean out the temp internet files and cookies. To be safe run an adware program i use adaware, but use the lastest refrence files.
h!!p://www.lavasoft.de/update/refs/reflist.zip
Scan the computer for viruses don't forget to use the latest virus defs also.
hope this helps :ph34r:

wienerschnitzel
10-19-2003, 08:40 AM
when your encoding or you don't have to switch programs, shut down everything, including explorer.exe. Use the task manager to swich betwen program and if you wanna open something new use new task and either type the name and path or explorer.exe.

also you may have melted something when you were encoding T3. On my machine encoding takes forever and i have a P4 2.4. Encoding too much can kill a computer because it uses everything thing you computer has for hours stright.

if i had the money i would get a new computer. Its been way too long since you got one.

Gre1
10-20-2003, 02:48 AM
I fixed it i did a clean install of Windows XP and it's working very well. Thanxs to all that helped.