PDA

View Full Version : Another Abuse Of Power?

soopaman
10-17-2003, 01:30 PM
"You know what flames do, guys?

That's right.

Click."

Another abuse of power?? No prizes for guessing who locked the Turkey vs England thread. So now members aren't even allowed to disagree and light-heartedly "flame" each other? This board is getting worse, the choice of Mods is fucking ridiculous. You get a really deep insight into life and dealing with people when you're 18!!! :lol:

I thought we could post what we wanted (within reason) in the Lounge?? Obviously not...... :angry:

clocker
10-17-2003, 01:39 PM
I assume that you have already PM'd the mod in question and were unsatisfied with the response?

Billy_Dean
10-17-2003, 01:55 PM
This place is getting worse, why allow a thread like England v Turkey in the first place if you're gonna close it like that. I would have PM'd Lamesy, but I didn't see it till I read this thread. That was a "flame" thread from it's inception, this is football, for christ's sake! Have you never sat in amongst football fans from different teams? You should open it up again, there's too little fun here any more.

:)

soopaman
10-17-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@17 October 2003 - 14:55
This place is getting worse, why allow a thread like England v Turkey in the first place if you're gonna close it like that. I would have PM'd Lamesy, but I didn't see it till I read this thread. That was a "flame" thread from it's inception, this is football, for christ's sake! Have you never sat in amongst football fans from different teams? You should open it up again, there's too little fun here any more.

:)

Damn right. Someone obviously needs to get out into the REAL world. We can&#39;t all agree on everything in advance on IRC <_< &#33;&#33;

blade1356uk
10-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Maybe they thought we were all having a go at Scribblec him being the only one defending Turkey,like you said guy&#39;s free speach doesn&#39;t last forever,someone either get&#39;s bored or upset with the content

Lamsey
10-17-2003, 03:34 PM
When a thread stoops to the level of members calling others &#39;retards&#39; and so on, it will be closed. Flaming is not tolerated on this board.

You want to flame, do it by PM.

And again:
8. Complaints concerning moderators or their actions may be discussed with that moderator or brought to the attention of an administrator via PM (Personal Message).
How many times do I have to say this? There is no point in saying that the moderators aren&#39;t enforcing the rules properly if you won&#39;t follow them yourself.

One final point:

This board is getting worse, the choice of Mods is fucking ridiculous.
You are, of course, free to leave at any time if you dislike the atmosphere on this board.

edit: no, Clocker, of course he didn&#39;t PM me.

soopaman
10-17-2003, 04:35 PM
I wasn&#39;t offended by Scribblec calling me a "retard", it was only a bit of Football banter. Nobody that was posting in that thread was getting really offensive, I didn&#39;t notice any excessive profanity or any homophobia/racism or the like. I didn&#39;t bother with a PM because I wanted to know what other contributors to the "Turkey vs England" thread thought about it&#39;s closure. If I was that offended by the "retard" comment I would&#39;ve used a PM to a Mod to express my dismay, as it happens I&#39;m an adult and could just laugh it off. Shame other users of this Forum can&#39;t do the same&#33;&#33;&#33;

Just following the rules is no defence of an abuse of power&#33;&#33;

Remember "Nuremberg" Lamsey?? Lots of people on trial for "just following the rules". Didn&#39;t do them much good, did it??

J'Pol
10-17-2003, 04:40 PM
I have to disagree, blade1356uk, freedom of expression does last forever. However people always assume that the freedom also removes consequences.

Let me explain, sorry if I don&#39;t do a good job. I fully support your right to express yourself freely - forever. I also support Lamsey&#39;s right to express himself as a mod.

You say I think Lamsey is a curt (person), that&#39;s OK. It may not be true but it is OK for you to say it.

Lamsey choses to express himself by locking the thread, that is also OK.

You have both expressed yourselves and been allowed to do so.

We are all responsible for our own actions and for the consequences which arise from them. If we step outside of the rules that the rest of society sets, then the rest of society is entitled to prevent us from doing this again.

Sorry if that is as clear as mud.

djweiser
10-17-2003, 04:46 PM
no offense but some of the mods am prats anyway <_<

soopaman
10-17-2003, 04:47 PM
JPaul,
I get the gist of what you&#39;re saying but it doesn&#39;t take away the fact that the Thread was closed because of one persons pedantry&#33;&#33;&#33; :angry:

J'Pol
10-17-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by soopaman@17 October 2003 - 17:47
JPaul,
I get the gist of what you&#39;re saying but it doesn&#39;t take away the fact that the Thread was closed because of one persons pedantry&#33;&#33;&#33; :angry:
But it&#39;s one of those subjective judgement things mate.

I personally don&#39;t agree that the thread should have been shut, I have seen a lot worse, however I can&#39;t find the now to review it in the cold light of day. As I recall scribblec re-iterated that he really still wanted me to be run over by a lorry, but that could have been somewhere else.

The point is that I have seen things which I have considered worse left open, however the important thing is the I. Lamsey, or any of the mods must make a judgement call. The decision on whether the thread has gone too far is theirs to make, that is why they are there. In addition to keeping the board tidy, moving threads to appropriate places, dealing with spammers and flame attacks etc.

Like I said it is a subjective call, but it is their subjective call which is the important one. There is always the facility to make representations if you disagree with those calls.

J'Pol
10-17-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by netweiser-@17 October 2003 - 17:46
no offense but some of the mods am prats anyway <_<
I see this often.

Do people feel it&#39;s OK to say something offensive, as long as they put no offense before it.

No offense, you are a spamming, self advertising pain in the arse.

blade1356uk
10-17-2003, 06:34 PM
Insulting people like some members of the forum do leaves the message,lowest form&#39;s of life.be nice to 1 another

Lamsey
10-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by soopaman@17 October 2003 - 16:35
I wasn&#39;t offended by Scribblec calling me a "retard", it was only a bit of Football banter.
Perhaps you weren&#39;t offended by it, but there are many who might be. Those who are emotionally or mentally disabled, for instance. What you take to be &#39;only a bit of football banter&#39; may seriously hurt another person.

As I have said, if there is flaming of this sort, we will close threads such as this. We have always worked like this, to avoid anyone being upset by the content on the forum.

I am percieving that you have some sort of personal vendetta against me, Soopaman. If you really do believe that my age or attitude does not qualify me to be in the mod team, please do feel free to PM an administrator or another member of the mod team.

blade1356uk
10-17-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by soopaman@17 October 2003 - 16:35
I wasn&#39;t offended by Scribblec calling me a "retard", it was only a bit of Football banter. Nobody that was posting in that thread was getting really offensive, I didn&#39;t notice any excessive profanity or any homophobia/racism or the like. I didn&#39;t bother with a PM because I wanted to know what other contributors to the "Turkey vs England" thread thought about it&#39;s closure. If I was that offended by the "retard" comment I would&#39;ve used a PM to a Mod to express my dismay, as it happens I&#39;m an adult and could just laugh it off. Shame other users of this Forum can&#39;t do the same&#33;&#33;&#33;

Just following the rules is no defence of an abuse of power&#33;&#33;

Remember "Nuremberg" Lamsey?? Lots of people on trial for "just following the rules". Didn&#39;t do them much good, did it??
the meaning by my free speach Answer was that reading between the lines there is always someone who want&#39;s to take that right away,clear as mud are We??

MagicNakor
10-18-2003, 03:34 AM
You know Lamsey, it&#39;d be unlikely that anyone would&#39;ve guessed your age. Or if they had, they&#39;d peg it higher.

u dun sp33k lik TH1S&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; 4 fcuk sak&#33; n00b&#33;

Sometimes the don&#39;t ask, don&#39;t tell policy works wonders. ;)

:ninja:

kurtsl0an
10-18-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@18 October 2003 - 03:34
i know this is off topic and really stupid, but ur ninja pic made me lmao. he&#39;s like, SHIT&#33;

thanks fer that 1.

wormless
10-18-2003, 04:00 AM
englands good at cricket or golf cant remember and we cant even keep a football topic aint our country great lol

namzuf9
10-18-2003, 04:30 AM
I disagree with the thread in question being closed (although I do respect the decision) I mean come on&#39; this is the f&#39;n lounge&#33; If a member complained about it then fair enough but if not, why not let it ride out and disappear under the many other threads started in the lounge?

I didn&#39;t PM a mod cos it doesn&#39;t upset me that much to see it closed but nothing really does.

noname12
10-18-2003, 04:38 AM
Meh, I think a line should be drawn as to how far members are aloud to go with flaming.

If a mod sees that the light hearted fun is going to turn into a cyber version of a bar brawl then yeah he&#39;s done good by acting upon it.

And also like lamsey said other people need to be taken into account.
But who knows, I don&#39;t see this place as a police state, and I&#39;m a rebel B)

:lol:

namzuf9
10-18-2003, 04:42 AM
Rebel, hippy, its all the same innit&#33;&#33;&#33;

all right I&#39;m kidding. But what you rebelling against?

Opps, off topic in the lounge :angry:

kurtsl0an
10-18-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by noname12@18 October 2003 - 04:38
I&#39;m a rebel B)

what makes u a rebel???????

noname12
10-18-2003, 04:44 AM
I&#39;m not rebeling against anything ;)

noname12
10-18-2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by kurtsl0an+18 October 2003 - 04:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kurtsl0an @ 18 October 2003 - 04:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-noname12@18 October 2003 - 04:38
I&#39;m a rebel&nbsp; B)

what makes u a rebel??????? [/b][/quote]
Oh well its a really cool story, that will make every one think I am ultra l33t and I have a life,

Well I am known as a rebel because one time, I walked upto a police officer and I asked him directions with out saying please or thanks or excuse me :D :D

Bow to my life-full l33t rebelness B)

kurtsl0an
10-18-2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by noname12@18 October 2003 - 04:45
Well I am known as a rebel because one time, I walked upto a police officer and I asked him directions with out saying please or thanks or excuse me :D :D

OMG - u r a rebel&#33; how did u get away with that? u r so brave&#33; :blink:

noname12
10-18-2003, 04:50 AM
You didnt bow... :angry: You must now face my Rebelious l33t Wrath.

(doesnt say please)

Oh yeah, I&#39;m tha man B)

namzuf9
10-18-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by noname12@18 October 2003 - 04:45

Now thats just plain nasty. I bet you stayed up late that night as well&#33;&#33;

noname12
10-18-2003, 04:52 AM
Stay up?? and face the Wrath of my Mummy? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

clocker
10-18-2003, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by noname12@17 October 2003 - 21:45

Oh well its a really cool story, that will make every one think I am ultra l33t and I have a life,

Oh pish, that&#39;s nothing.

I am a serial jaywalker.

None of my pillows or mattresses still have the tags on &#39;em, either.

noname12
10-18-2003, 04:55 AM
I bow to your ultimate l33tness, none can defy your pillow ripping powers.

kAb
10-18-2003, 04:57 AM
talking about this in a topic doesn&#39;t work.

when my abortion topic was closed, i pm&#39;d the mod who closed it and we worked together to create a new abortion topic with rules that anything close to flaming would end the topic.

it worked.

nahan
10-18-2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey+17 October 2003 - 19:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 17 October 2003 - 19:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-soopaman@17 October 2003 - 16:35
I wasn&#39;t offended by Scribblec calling me a "retard", it was only a bit of Football banter.
Perhaps you weren&#39;t offended by it, but there are many who might be. Those who are emotionally or mentally disabled, for instance. What you take to be &#39;only a bit of football banter&#39; may seriously hurt another person.

As I have said, if there is flaming of this sort, we will close threads such as this. We have always worked like this, to avoid anyone being upset by the content on the forum.

I am percieving that you have some sort of personal vendetta against me, Soopaman. If you really do believe that my age or attitude does not qualify me to be in the mod team, please do feel free to PM an administrator or another member of the mod team. [/b][/quote]
Forum - Rules
1. All posts are the property of the poster. Comments and opinions are those of the poster, and do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of this site and its administrators. Posts may be deleted for any reasons the administrators and moderators deem reasonable. Posts may be editted by the administrators and moderators if the post violates the board rules.

So wouldnt the proper course of action be to edit the post and warn the poster ?
The call is yours to make in this case ,but that dosent mean the correct one was made.
That being said I think and many would agree you have made a bad judgement
call.

The Chechen
10-18-2003, 12:24 PM
You should step down as a mod here lamsey my boy.
And shave the patch thats suposed to be between your brows. :lol:

soopaman
10-18-2003, 02:06 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lamsey
10-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by The Chechen@18 October 2003 - 12:24
You should step down as a mod here lamsey my boy.
And shave the patch thats suposed to be between your brows. :lol:
Touché

nahan
10-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by nahan+18 October 2003 - 06:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nahan @ 18 October 2003 - 06:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Lamsey@17 October 2003 - 19:51
<!--QuoteBegin-soopaman@17 October 2003 - 16:35

I am percieving that you have some sort of personal vendetta against me, Soopaman. If you really do believe that my age or attitude does not qualify me to be in the mod team, please do feel free to PM an administrator or another member of the mod team.
Forum - Rules
1. All posts are the property of the poster. Comments and opinions are those of the poster, and do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of this site and its administrators. Posts may be deleted for any reasons the administrators and moderators deem reasonable. Posts may be editted by the administrators and moderators if the post violates the board rules.

So wouldnt the proper course of action be to edit the post and warn the poster ?
The call is yours to make in this case ,but that dosent mean the correct one was made.
That being said I think and many would agree you have made a bad judgement
call. [/b][/quote]
http://www.mach3turbo.com/images/shared/guarantee.jpg
Lamsey (http://www.mach3turbo.com/images/shared/guarantee.jpg)

Lamsey
10-18-2003, 10:48 PM
Wow, you are so clever and witty. I feel crushed, really I do. I don&#39;t know how I can possibly come up with a comeback. How clever of you to point out that my eyebrows join in the middle. I have truly been pwn3d.

[/sarcasm]

kAb
10-19-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@18 October 2003 - 14:48
Wow, you are so clever and witty. I feel crushed, really I do. I don&#39;t know how I can possibly come up with a comeback. How clever of you to point out that my eyebrows join in the middle. I have truly been pwn3d.

[/sarcasm]
it would have been funnier without the [/sarcasm] ;)

but u still got pwned&#33;

all your brow are belong to us&#33;

:huh: :lol:

Razz
10-19-2003, 01:05 AM
its a shame when we live in a world when the ppl without power must compensate for their inadquacies by blaming the ppl with power for thier own problems and arrays of mental states,

for one i have been with this board for a long time and yes i know my post count is not that high and i have been away for a while but i am one of those people who believe that the quality of input is better than the quantity,

in the end if you do not have something valid or insightful to say then do not say it - there was a time when every piece of bandwidth on the forum was precious and we abided by this rule i think that by rights we should keep that up.

In the end i know that many of you may disagree with some of Lamsey&#39;s decisions but it would be impossible for him to please everyone and when he see&#39;s a breach of not only the forum rules but also what would be considered a civilized code of conduct then he has every right nay the duty to stop it because after all that is his role as a Mod on this forum.

Remember posting here is a privilage not a right and giving the mods a hard time is really not the way to show your appreciation of this

uNz[i]
10-19-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by kRAyZZed@19 October 2003 - 10:35
...yes i know my post count is not that high ... but i am one of those people who believe that the quality of input is better than the quantity,

in the end if you do not have something valid or insightful to say then do not say it - there was a time when every piece of bandwidth on the forum was precious and we abided by this rule i think that by rights we should keep that up.
Exactly. You&#39;ve just summed up my forum philosophy perfectly.

scribblec
10-19-2003, 01:13 AM
kk soopaman u aint really a retard (unless u r :P)
i dont think that topic should of closed but lamsey is a cool mod as well as bender
where is bender anyway aint seen him round :(

Razz
10-19-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by scribblec@19 October 2003 - 02:13
kk soopaman u aint really a retard (unless u r :P)
i dont think that topic should of closed but lamsey is a cool mod as well as bender
where is bender anyway aint seen him round :(
Evil General Bender is in hiding after losing the ketchup war :devil:

but yeah once a post starts turning into a tennis match of insults then its time to call it quits and for the umpire to call the game

nahan
10-19-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@18 October 2003 - 23:48

[/sarcasm]
Yeah speaking of good comebacks you did very well for yourself when presented with the very same rules you try to cite.
All you can do is ignore them http://www.veganhardcore.de/phpBB/images/smiles/ohmann.gif.

The Chechen
10-19-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@18 October 2003 - 22:48
I have truly been pwn3d.

Ah so admit you have you is a pawn ,Checkmate.
Now go gets your self a life ,you are so boring that you try to disipine those who dont need it.

llllllllllHawkllllllllll
10-19-2003, 06:51 AM
YES HE&#39;S ABUSIVE AS A MOTHA FUCK, BAN HIS ASS RIGHT AWAY OR I&#39;LL SCREAM CORRUPT MODERATORS/ADMINS AROUND HERE.

nahan
10-19-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by kRAyZZed@19 October 2003 - 02:05
its a shame when we live in a world when the ppl without power must compensate for their inadquacies by blaming the ppl with power for thier own problems and arrays of mental states,

for one i have been with this board for a long time and yes i know my post count is not that high and i have been away for a while but i am one of those people who believe that the quality of input is better than the quantity,

In the end i know that many of you may disagree with some of Lamsey&#39;s decisions but it would be impossible for him to please everyone and when he see&#39;s a breach of not only the forum rules but also what would be considered a civilized code of conduct then he has every right nay the duty to stop it because after all that is his role as a Mod on this forum.

Remember posting here is a privilage not a right and giving the mods a hard time is really not the way to show your appreciation of this
I just dont like the fact that Lamsey tried using the rules to rationalize his decision.
Because if you can read you can see that he was off base ,and an edit should have been the executive order.
What does closing it do ,except disappoint and make people angry, like in this case.
So intent on policing this site he&#39;s lost track of organizing any type of meaningful arguement.

blade1356uk
10-19-2003, 10:58 AM
Free speach for all,if that goes we might as well live in Russia.

J'Pol
10-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by blade1356uk@19 October 2003 - 11:58
Free speach for all,if that goes we might as well live in Russia.
Why ?

blade1356uk
10-19-2003, 11:10 AM
??????????????

J'Pol
10-19-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by blade1356uk@19 October 2003 - 12:10
??????????????
What does your, "we might as well go to Russia" comment mean.

You do know that the Soviet Union no longer exists and that the entire political situation in the region has fundamentally changed.

TheDave
10-19-2003, 11:55 AM
freedom of speech wont feed my children, it just brings out disease and bootleg clothing :unsure: i think thats about russia

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
10-19-2003, 12:00 PM
:angry: Yeah....Lamsey knows how to Abuse his Powers.Just ask all the People who was listening to his Show the other night and what he asked a certain somebody. :angry:

Bastard&#33; :P ..... :lol:

MagicNakor
10-20-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by JPaul+19 October 2003 - 12:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 19 October 2003 - 12:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-blade1356uk@19 October 2003 - 12:10
??????????????

You do know that the Soviet Union no longer exists and that the entire political situation in the region has fundamentally changed. [/b][/quote]
One could argue that the Soviet Union no longer exists because of the help of glasnost and perestroika. ;)

kikflipkid
10-20-2003, 07:18 AM
wow&#33; this forum seems to have so many troubles&#33; and ive only just started posting...

coincidence?

uNz[i]
10-20-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by kikflipkid@20 October 2003 - 16:48
wow&#33; this forum seems to have so many troubles&#33; and ive only just started posting...

coincidence?
Welcome to the forum kikflipkid.

Don&#39;t pay any mind to the apparent troubles, it&#39;s really just another day at the office.
Some members seem to thrive on adversity, thats all... it&#39;s quite normal and healthy.

Cute fishtank btw.

MUSLEMAN
10-20-2003, 09:05 AM
well i for one agree with lamsey&#39;s choise, if we are all adults, then we should

behave like one, losing controll and calling people names is not being an adult

and as far as i know and have seen that is exactly how shit gets started, i mean

those are signs of shit to come so you close it before shit gets started, if you are

going to say you are an adult and please act like one and don&#39;t lose controll like a

kid, if you can&#39;t controll your self and start calling people names and such then

expect to be treated like a kid and your thread closed, its real easy to get pissed

and and go off the handle but it takes a man to stay in control. thats my 2 cents

and as you saying you were not offended supaman, that thread is going to be

viewed by alot of people and if the noobs see that kind of language next time on

their own thread they are going to do the same, this is a forum and we have rules

people can be an adult and set example for the noobs or people will be used to set as an

example themselves

blade1356uk
10-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by JPaul+19 October 2003 - 11:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 19 October 2003 - 11:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-blade1356uk@19 October 2003 - 12:10
??????????????

You do know that the Soviet Union no longer exists and that the entire political situation in the region has fundamentally changed. [/b][/quote]
Has it try telling all the poor souls still Queing for miles for food & the property&#39;s they live in a falling down,if the economy is doing well why is this still going on.

MagicNakor
10-20-2003, 10:35 AM
JPaul said nothing about the economy of Russia.

He said the political situtation has dramatically changed. It has.

liquidacid
10-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Lamsey is just doing his job, and very well at that. He portrays himself as a mature and intelligent person, and coincidentally happens to be 18 years of old. As Musleman said, if others wish to be treated as adults, they should try acting as such.

While flaming can be lighthearted and fun, it can also be offensive to others. Name calling at the expense of those who are mentally handicapped, is both offensive and ignorant, and has no place on this board.