PDA

View Full Version : please advice trackers for lossless music

fxpman
01-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi all!

Please advice and thanks in advance :)

b3owulf
01-28-2010, 01:57 PM
If you want only lossless then obvious choice is BTMusic and e***o. However, getting into those trackers may be hard for a newbie, so for a start try getting int Waffles.fm and What.CD, they are 2 biggest privete music trackers around.

fxpman
01-28-2010, 03:00 PM
where i can see e***o review or receive more info about this site?

Funkin'
01-28-2010, 03:55 PM
You could have searched to find out what you needed to know. Besides the trackers b3owulf mentioned, there's also Torrents.ru, Demonoid, and grabbing a Rapidshare account(which are very cheap) and downloading from Avaxhome and various other forums.

anon
01-28-2010, 04:22 PM

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-tracker-reviews-189/t-e-review-389578

Look, they even added a link to the WTO so that it's not hard to find. But I'd start forgetting about E**** if I were you.

Unless you have a special interest in rare stuff, What, Waffles and Torrents.ru should serve you well. The last one even opens signups from 8 to 10am Moscow time.

QPD
01-28-2010, 04:24 PM

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-tracker-reviews-189/t-e-review-389578

Look, they even added a link to the WTO so that it's not hard to find. But I'd start forgetting about E**** if I were you.

Unless you have a special interest in rare stuff, What, Waffles and Torrents.ru should serve you well. The last one even opens signups from 8 to 10am Moscow time.

Don't forget demonoid!

anon
01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Sorry, I never used it to download FLACs but it seems it's a good source. :)

ca_aok
01-28-2010, 05:42 PM
What.CD has rarer stuff than Pedro's/E, and sites like Torrents.ru and Demonoid have rarer stuff still.

Unless you have a desire to upload your own material, and enjoy full scans (often 600dpi or greater) you don't really need the lossless trackers. What.CD had 85,000 torrents with a 100% log and cue last time I checked (it's now harder to check since browse.php is limited to 1000 results to reduce server load). Waffles (WI approved rips with log+cue), Pedro's, and E have 97,000 torrents combined (this also takes into account vinyl rips on the two lossless sites so the actual numbers would be a bit lower).

Of course torrents.ru and demonoid have much more (especially classical music) but you'll need to learn to read EAC and XLD logs on your own, and check for transcodes or inconsistencies in the files. There's a program that lets you check FLACs against their accurate rip data for that CD (I think it's called CueTools) that might come in handy, and it's not too hard to learn what to look for in an EAC log. Pay attention to the options at the top of a few perfect rips, keep the drive offset page bookmarked, and check for suspicious positions, or read/sync errors in each track.

Tv Controls you
01-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi all!

Please advice and thanks in advance :)

Waffles is a great choice.

E***o is impossible to get into and only offers lossless files.

Waffles on the other hand offers all kinds of formats (including a wide selection of flac)
Flac btw (if you didn't know) is a lossless format

Not only do they have a ton of flac's but some have been approved by the waffle iron :P. (meaning they have been checked for 99.9% consistency and cue and log files correct)

*don't get me wrong, for I am an audiophile myself, I would love to join E****o but its just not practical to believe your going to get in.

Tokeman
01-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Had pedros for a while, but what.cd has been satisfying my (flac) needs for some time now. The selection is very good, and I highly recommend it.

ca_aok
01-28-2010, 06:58 PM
E***o is impossible to get into

*don't get me wrong, for I am an audiophile myself, I would love to join E****o but its just not practical to believe your going to get in.
Tell that to the new people who join each day :whistling

The refrain is quite old but true... Get yourself noticed at Pedro's by uploading a ton and you'll have a much better chance. I know they like people who upload stuff that's not strictly Rock/Jazz/Metal since those are the primary genres uploaded on both sites.

I find the main advantage is if you like vinyl rips or SACD rips, the people on the lossless trackers actually tend to know what they're doing. Vinyl rips on the bigger sites are generally done with terrible equipment ($100 USB turntables lol) and by people who don't understand the software they're using. The other advantage as I said earlier is most torrents have full artwork. Otherwise, you'll be just fine with What or Waffles.

Oh and you tend to get more torrent comments and thank yous on your uploads, but ironically I find most of the people seeking these trackers never seem to upload their own material once invited. So for most people it doesn't matter. Really the greatest satisfaction is sharing your own music with a small group of people who appreciate it, so if you don't plan on uploading I don't really see the appeal.

AdrianPhoto
01-28-2010, 07:18 PM
To be honest, I've been listening to music I download for about 6 years, and on my headphones and my 2.1 Creative speakers I really can't tell the diff between 192 Mp3 and FLAC P.S: @ca_aok, Franz Schubert - Sonata in A minor D.845: II, one of my favs.

th0r
01-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Get yourself noticed at Pedro's by uploading a ton and you'll have a much better chance.Or if you're really lucky, someone will consider your interest and send you a PM.

Vinyl rips on the bigger sites are generally done with terrible equipment ($100 USB turntables lol) and by people who don't understand the software they're using.Hey, my $100 USB turntable that I bought at Urban Outfitters may not be the best, but damn your eyes if it isn't trendy!

Oh and you tend to get more torrent comments and thank yous on your uploads, but ironically I find most of the people seeking these trackers never seem to upload their own material once invited. . . . Really the greatest satisfaction is sharing your own music with a small group of people who appreciate it, . . .You can't upload your own torrents from the get-go anyways (on one of the lossless trackers, at least); it takes experience and sharing before you can even be considered for that position. But I agree, most, if not all, torrents uploaded there have a generous number of compliments; your own torrent uploads will definitely be appreciated anyways, sooner or later, if you do decide to pursue doing that.

apextwin146
01-29-2010, 06:41 AM
To be honest, I've been listening to music I download for about 6 years, and on my headphones and my 2.1 Creative speakers I really can't tell the diff between 192 Mp3 and FLAC P.S: @ca_aok, Franz Schubert - Sonata in A minor D.845: II, one of my favs.
Head over to head-fi.org .. Decide and Get some decent audio gear .. then compare these things ..

Presto
01-29-2010, 11:46 AM

There isn't any audible difference unless you have an über expensive professional equipment.. and even then I wouldn't be sure if there is actually any difference. Mostly it's the expectatons (caused by the hype) that make it seem to sound better. Hence FLAC is useless - a waste of HDD. Well, actually, I do understand some people, who collect FLAC for archiving their music.

However, I think the case with most FLAC listeners/collectors is that they aren't actually sure themselves why they prefer FLAC to V0. It's just that someone from somewhere said that it's so much better.

n00bz0r
01-29-2010, 12:24 PM

There isn't any audible difference unless you have an über expensive professional equipment.. and even then I wouldn't be sure if there is actually any difference. Mostly it's the expectatons (caused by the hype) that make it seem to sound better. Hence FLAC is useless - a waste of HDD. Well, actually, I do understand some people, who collect FLAC for archiving their music.

However, I think the case with most FLAC listeners/collectors is that they aren't actually sure themselves why they prefer FLAC to V0. It's just that someone from somewhere said that it's so much better.

Carl Orff - Carmina Burana (1968)\01 - O Fortuna

grab it in flac and V0.
Play it on your favorite media player, but remember to turn the volume UP.
Get back and edit your post once you have done that. :01:

ca_aok
01-29-2010, 01:14 PM

grab it in flac and V0.
Unless you have expensive equipment, probably he's right mate ;) You aren't gonna hear anything at all on typical computer speakers or iPod earbuds. At least half (and that's being conservative) of the people who download FLAC couldn't ABX it against V0 MP3 to save their lives, it's either a placebo effect or they have other reasons to use the format such as archival purposes.

If you're one of the lucky few that has good enough ears and good enough equipment, good for you, but telling someone to download an arbitrary track and guaranteeing they'll hear the difference is silly. It's generally easier to tell with a track you know well anyway since you're already aware of most of the subtleties.

n00bz0r
01-29-2010, 01:43 PM

grab it in flac and V0.
Unless you have expensive equipment, probably he's right mate ;) You aren't gonna hear anything at all on typical computer speakers or iPod earbuds. At least half (and that's being conservative) of the people who download FLAC couldn't ABX it against V0 MP3 to save their lives, it's either a placebo effect or they have other reasons to use the format such as archival purposes.

If you're one of the lucky few that has good enough ears and good enough equipment, good for you, but telling someone to download an arbitrary track and guaranteeing they'll hear the difference is silly. It's generally easier to tell with a track you know well anyway since you're already aware of most of the subtleties.

Guess you are right about the latter part, and the required setup. But its one of those tracks which people listen so many times (mutilated versions are often used as background scores in movies). One can feel the difference between the V0 and FLAC without actually trying too hard on a fairly decent setup.