PDA

View Full Version : How to do a proper Giveaway

Cabalo
01-30-2010, 04:54 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/picture.php?albumid=285&pictureid=29884

Introduction

As many of you know, inviting a member to a site is believing he will become a good addition, and add value to the community he will join. Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen.

Keep in mind that many sites make you accountable for your invitees actions. It means if you invite a bad user, you will also be in trouble.
The sites also recommend you to invite people you know or trust. If it happened only that way, probably most of us here would never have been invited to most trackers in the first place. And trackers would have difficulties to grow.

So, when inviting someone to a community you enjoy, you are doing both you and the site a favour by thoroughly checking that person's background. As far as BT goes, there's nothing more pleasing than inviting someone to a tracker and see him actively using it and taking part of the community.

Some considerations you should have when inviting someone

Speedtests: when you ask for a speedtest, what little you can extract from it is the user's location. Good users don't necessarily need good speedtests. Users caught sending you speedtests which don't correspond to their ISP will immediately receive an infraction. They are lying to you and to the whole community at FST.
A nearly foul proof method to know the speedtest is real is using slim150's guide (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-how-to-show-a-video-screencast-of-your-speedtest-no-download-required-397399). If the applying member can't follow such easy steps, he certainly isn't worth inviting.

Ratio Proofs: these can be copied from other giveaways, edited on photoshop, etc. But they are an invaluable tool to help you pick a good member. To use them effectively, you should ask the user to send you via PM an unedited screenshot of the sites he belongs to. Then, assure it belongs to him and not someone else, by asking him to send you the direct link to his profile. If you need further assurance, you can ask him to PM you at that site. If the user refuses to do so, why should you trust him, if he doesn't trust you? Trust goes both ways. Also, avoid asking for screenshots of sites which usually are open signup. Go for the ones which require invites.

Private Messages: some users will avoid asking for invites in threads. This usually means they may have something to hide, as most time other FST members report situations that happened in the past with such member, which would ruin their chances. When this happens, and if you want to know additional details from that member, report the PM he sent you with this http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/buttons/report.gif button on the top right. Staff will then thoroughly check him here and at several other boards for potential troubles he could bring on to you.

Background check: whenever possible, take a look at the member's past posts, as they will usually reveal a bit more on his personality. Members who come and apply for every single thread are usually collectors and most probably won't give much use to the account you are planning to give them.

Application: always ask for a paragraph or two describing the reasons why the member would like to join the site. Many times you will find they are doing it for the wrong reasons, or don't have the slightest clue of what the site is about.

Banned countries: This thread (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/381232-BANNED-or-Restricted-countries-from-Trackers-(look-here-before-inviting-someone)) has a fairly accurate list of which countries are banned at certain trackers. Don't ever invite a member from a non allowed country. Even if they try to sweet talk you saying they will access it from a seedbox. It's dishonest. And remember the user won't have a seedbox forever and sooner or later he will disclose his real country. Feel free to ask the staff here if any doubt arises in your mind.

Ask the staff: We can help you with some information about the user in question. Read this thread (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invite-giveaways-and-requests-90/t-restoring-the-confidence-at-the-invites-section-377973) with more info on the subject.

Conclusion
Remember, by taking responsibility in picking someone to invite to a site, you are helping yourself and the community by inviting a potentially good member.
Help yourself and help your sites. Take precautions.

l33tpirata13
01-30-2010, 05:39 AM
great post!!!! this wouldve helped me a bunch a little while back ago.

anon
01-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Cabalo, I'd click the "great post" button under your post if there was one.

This should make life easier for some people.

QPD
01-30-2010, 05:09 PM
+1

waeldiab
01-30-2010, 05:46 PM
as usual great thread from 'Cabalo'

karachidude
01-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for this brilliant post cabalo

AdrianPhoto
01-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Excellent Thread

LubTheStaringCat
01-31-2010, 12:03 AM
An excellent thread Cabalo, as well a giveaway's this can be use when requesting as well.

Extremesmsm
02-01-2010, 01:09 AM
thank you CABALLO it is a great thread and guide that will guide me through the giveaway section , keep it coming

db_la_23
02-01-2010, 02:21 AM
good job mate.

tippertime
02-01-2010, 03:35 PM
excellent guide

zonta
02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
awesome thread thanks.

Cabalo
03-06-2010, 03:52 AM
added slim150's guide to get a proper speedtest.

DanglingChap
03-12-2010, 02:15 AM
thanks for these tips .. :)

Speedo
03-19-2010, 09:02 AM
I liked it. Way to go Rambo!

BullRock
03-29-2010, 10:55 AM
yes nice information .. it is very useful to me ..

thanks a lot ..!!

pakito
04-11-2010, 08:16 PM
It is very good written

addon619
05-22-2010, 10:35 AM
now i know what to do.........

senegal
07-30-2010, 09:29 PM
This tutorial could be improved, certainly.

MiNiMAL
08-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Good work Cabalo !

nicekat
08-13-2010, 05:16 PM
good job keep it up !!

kbcurtis
11-23-2010, 02:59 AM
I think I know that, it's time for giveaway!

SniperXX
05-03-2011, 08:16 PM
I was always nervous about sending out invites, got burned once with someone who didn't even use it. This post gives me some good guidelines to help find some people to invite, thanks!

reddy
05-09-2011, 11:00 PM
how to create a direct link to the profile in a torrent community?

anon
05-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Visit your profile on the tracker, click on your address bar, highlight all the text, right-click -> Copy. Then you paste it somewhere.

reddy
05-09-2011, 11:14 PM
hi anon ..i have a doubt ..i did just the way u said ....but when i logout from the tracker and put the profile link on thhe address bar..it doesnt direct to the profile ,instead it asks to login again...and if that happens how could someone counter check my profile with the link i provide them

anon
05-10-2011, 12:51 AM
He has to be a member on that tracker, obviously.

rastafara
11-01-2011, 04:21 PM
good job, very helpful!

anon
02-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Cabalo: I've just noticed the link in the "Banned countries" section leads to the archived discussion, rather than the sticky containing the list of banned countries. That should probably be fixed to point to my thread in this subforum.

Cabalo
02-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Link to the thread?

anon
02-03-2012, 05:54 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/381232-BANNED-or-Restricted-countries-from-Trackers-(look-here-before-inviting-someone)

mustafabakar
07-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks I'll prepare my giveaway topic based on your guide :)

dion09529
10-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Banned countries: This thread (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/381232-BANNED-or-Restricted-countries-from-Trackers-(look-here-before-inviting-someone)) has a fairly accurate list of which countries are banned at certain trackers. Don't ever invite a member from a non allowed country. Even if they try to sweet talk you saying they will access it from a seedbox. It's dishonest. And remember the user won't have a seedbox forever and sooner or later he will disclose his real country. Feel free to ask the staff here if any doubt arises in your mind.

But if I want to check a FST staffer, to whom will I ask the question? :lookaroun

storQ75
09-23-2016, 08:30 PM
thanks for the tips, we have to be very careful because it has trackers who do not want to know if you are a good user If you invite a crook you will be banned also with him then and good follow strictly their tips.
Again thank you for alerting everyone.

Understand
01-13-2018, 05:08 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/381232-BANNED-or-Restricted-countries-from-Trackers-(look-here-before-inviting-someone)

hi Thanks info

anon
01-13-2018, 07:16 PM
You're welcome. I keep that thread updated as I come across new information.