PDA

View Full Version : A Poll Of Sorts...

opivykid
10-17-2003, 09:18 PM
ok ill cover 2 points before I start...
1) Im aware that tis have probably been done before, but in my supreme hatred of XP, and the search feature bringing me to a "page cannot be displayed", so calm

2) I wanted to do a poll, but i got "You cannot start a poll", and i was going to use the search, but please read above...

ok now on to the question, out of all the damn Windows OS's, what do you think is the best? Im going with 98, as I love it, and have had the most success with it, but Id apreciate your opinion. Also, lets keep to Windows here, as that will keep this on track. Thanks!

Marius24
10-17-2003, 09:21 PM
i prefer XP than any other OS :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

XP FOR LIFE :P

[B][O][T]
Only moderators and admins can start polls.

BOT

*´¯`·.¸¸.»Çô©ö»
XP....less work more fun....my opinion having had 98, 2000 and now on XP.....If you like getting deep into your pc i would say 98. :D

muchspl2
10-17-2003, 09:33 PM
I don't understand your complaint of xp
is it a search page from a website or the search for your computer, are you talking about doing a search in the ie browser for stuff on your computer?

Cygnuz-Y
10-17-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by opivykid@17 October 2003 - 21:18
ok ill cover 2 points before I start...
1) Im aware that tis have probably been done before, but in my supreme hatred of XP, and the search feature bringing me to a "page cannot be displayed", so calm

2) I wanted to do a poll, but i got "You cannot start a poll", and i was going to use the search, but please read above...

ok now on to the question, out of all the damn Windows OS's, what do you think is the best? Im going with 98, as I love it, and have had the most success with it, but Id apreciate your opinion. Also, lets keep to Windows here, as that will keep this on track. Thanks!
I preffer 98 too <_<

But i had to stop using it because the new drivers for GFX cards come only for XP :(

zapjb
10-17-2003, 09:39 PM
XP is 10x more stable & 50% faster than 98se for me.

uNz[i]
10-17-2003, 10:51 PM
At first, I was very reluctant to upgrade to XP from 98SE.

But as I play LAN games with my mates, I was eventually forced to move to XP just so I could browse the network when we had a gaming session.
They could see my comp on the network, but I couldnt see thiers.

It took a few weeks to get used to, but now I definately prefer XP to 98... the stability alone makes up for the initial quibbles... and I haven&#39;t seen a BSOD for months now. :D

*´¯`·.¸¸.»Çô©ö»
10-17-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Justsomeguy@17 October 2003 - 22:51

But as I play LAN games with my mates, I was eventually forced to move to XP just so I could browse the network when we had a gaming session.

It took a few weeks to get used to, but now I definately prefer XP to 98... the stability alone makes up for the initial quibbles... and I haven&#39;t seen a BSOD for months now. :D
Thats what i meant, it&#39;s more fun. :lol:

ultimatejester
10-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Mik3ll
10-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by *´¯`·.¸¸.»Çô©ö»+17 October 2003 - 22:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (*´¯`·.¸¸.»Çô©ö» @ 17 October 2003 - 22:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Justsomeguy@17 October 2003 - 22:51

Thats what i meant, it&#39;s more fun. :lol: [/b][/quote]
thats probably why my brothers XP computer cant see my ME, and my brothers 98 games on LAN.

I dont know what I prefer right now, most likely 2000 because its at my school and its fast even when it has mcafee, which slowes down a systems performence a lot

clocker
10-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Im going with 98, as I love it, and have had the most success with it, but Id apreciate your opinion. Also, lets keep to Windows here, as that will keep this on track. Thanks&#33;

Gee, how unfortunate for you that MS no longer supports Win98...

opivykid
10-19-2003, 05:44 AM
My hatred of XP goes as follows = its too damn flashy. Its like they tried to make it all nice, but failed misserably because its ease of use its NOTHING compared to 98. 98 was ugly and easy and good, Xp is flashy and shitty. You say XP is more reliable? I&#39;ve had it for less than 2 days now, and 3 times its just shit itself and completely turned off (yes I have norton anti-virus 2003 = no viruses). 98 never ever did that, the worst 98 did was just have a program "stop responding" once and a while, while XP has done that 5 times now. I compare XP to the computer game "Age Of Wonders". The first one was great, it wasnt flashy and hyped, it just stuck with the basics, and was a really great game. Now here comes AOW 2. Wow does it suck. Its more/less the same as the other one, but it just looks like they tried so hard to make it all flashy and beautiful and shit, and it just went horribly wrong at the end. Now my opinions may be (probably are) way off, so dont get pissed at me because I hate XP with a passion, its just how I feel. Also, just to make sure, can anyone get me a link to dl the newest version of macafee(sp?), as I have always liked that better than Norton. Thanks for reading/responding.

nikita69
10-19-2003, 05:49 AM

sparsely
10-19-2003, 05:53 AM
Oh.
Now I understand.
You suck.

:lol:

Seriously though, before you upgraded to XP did you check the HCL? do you know if the apps/games you are running are XP
compatible? Have you tried running them in compatibility modes?
Did you know that one of the easiest things about XP is turning off the "Shiny, Shitty interface" ?

Dealing with networking, troubleshooting, repair, etc. everyday...of all the OS&#39;s, XP is the one I&#39;d rather work with. 2000&#39;s fine also...
xp just has a few things about it that I like better.

and
Originally posted by UltimateJester

running a server OS as your everyday desktop PC?
Maybe your friends think it&#39;s cool, but it just sounds ridiculous.

opivykid
10-19-2003, 05:55 AM
Alrighty then, could you please tell me how to turn of the interface then? Would be very apreciated.

sparsely
10-19-2003, 05:59 AM
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Themes Tab > &#39;Windows Classic&#39; in the drop-down menu.

To turn off menu fades, slides, and other resource-stealing crappy FX, go to Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > Performance Settings... > Adjust as you wish.

abu_has_the_power
10-19-2003, 06:05 AM
win 98 is fine. it&#39;s somewat stable, and compatible with everything. but xp has :
1. looks cooler
2. more stable
3. latest "working" os (meaning excluding longhorn)
4. most people use it
5. too lazy to type

opivykid
10-19-2003, 06:14 AM
Hmm, its better, now if it was as reliable, it would be helpful.... I dont suppose you have a tip for that.......

also, again, if anyone has the sig thing to the newest version of macafee(sp?) anti-virus, it would be appreciated

dingoBaby
10-19-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by opivykid@19 October 2003 - 02:14
Hmm, its better, now if it was as reliable, it would be helpful.... I dont suppose you have a tip for that.......

also, again, if anyone has the sig thing to the newest version of macafee(sp?) anti-virus, it would be appreciated
Its very reliable for me. What kind of machine are you using? XP doesn&#39;t get along with older processers, although I have it loaded on an old laptop (300 mhz celeron with 64 MB RAM) and it is stable. Not at all fast but stable. It works great on my 2.5 gHz P4 box.

sparsely
10-19-2003, 07:07 AM
yeah...it would be nice to know which applications are generating errors for you, or what&#39;s going on when you get them.

You can also check the Event Log to find out what&#39;s causing hangs, it can often tell you specifically what&#39;s wrong, also submitting
error reports can help. If it&#39;s a device driver or something like that, it&#39;ll usually tell you.

(Event Viewer: Right-click &#39;My Computer&#39; > Manage > Event Viewer > Applications)