PDA

View Full Version : Password hell

colonblow87
02-02-2010, 02:46 AM
What is with the proliferation of password maligned binaries? This is driving me crazy and I want to severely hurt the people who post this crap!

ericab
02-02-2010, 03:06 AM
it's either the Dutch;

or companies like MediaSentry, MediaDefender
i assume its the ladder.
they have you open a URL; now they have your IP; IP's can be traced to providers; after a while time they have a nice little database of providers whom will at some time in the future will be further pressured to enforce stricter data caps, throttling, and will be further ammo is their (US Gov, ACTA, MPAA, RIAA etc..) stocks to legitimize 3-Strikes laws.

BIG BROTHER *IS* WATCHING. :ermm:

brilman
02-02-2010, 04:34 AM
:blink: well guess that answered the question!

:D

Cabalo
02-02-2010, 04:34 AM
It's true. More often than not it happens to me when I grab stuff I searched from auto indexers, or using newsleech's supersearch.
Just download the nzb's from trusted sites, and if you happen to download a passworded one, don't click the URL that shows up there.

That's how I do.

Beck38
02-02-2010, 05:10 AM
These are by far mostly trying to 'drive' people to some web site or some such. It's gotten so bad that there are sites 'dedicated' to spreading the passwords around, once someone has grabbed them.

Newzbin has been pretty good as well spreading them.

But there are lots of folks out there that use passwords for other reasons, usually due to very slow upload speeds and trying to keep folks from screaming 'where is this???' all the time, and list it at the end of the posting.

Skiz
02-02-2010, 06:00 AM
it's either the Dutch;

or companies like MediaSentry, MediaDefender
i assume its the ladder.
they have you open a URL; now they have your IP; IP's can be traced to providers; after a while time they have a nice little database of providers whom will at some time in the future will be further pressured to enforce stricter data caps, throttling, and will be further ammo is their (US Gov, ACTA, MPAA, RIAA etc..) stocks to legitimize 3-Strikes laws.

BIG BROTHER *IS* WATCHING. :ermm:

Surely you mean latter.

ericab
02-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Surely you mean latter.

Surely :shifty:

I wasn't aware we were grammar Nazis here though...

iLOVENZB
02-02-2010, 09:14 AM
http://tinyurl.com/y9h7qba
:shutup:

SonsOfLiberty
02-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Passworded files are for unscrubpulious people trying to make money off surveys.

Here's a thread with some links that "index" passwords for ya and a few tips on how to avoid these in the thread as well.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-newsgroups-79/t-are-we-allowed-to-request-rar-passwords-here-388471

PsYFuR
02-07-2010, 05:31 PM
90% of the tv shows I downloaded last week were passworded, so I feel your pain. So my brother in law suggested I use this site over nzb search engines

unoriginal
02-08-2010, 03:16 AM
merlins portal is also a decent choice because they refuse to list any nzb's that are password protected.

cooldude75ph
02-09-2010, 11:41 AM
90% of the tv shows I downloaded last week were passworded, so I feel your pain. So my brother in law suggested I use this site over nzb search engines

Today, 2 out of 4 tv shows I always watch were passworded. Had to download them again. So irritating.

Schrutastic
02-09-2010, 04:24 PM
The only files I've downloaded with passwords were those that I knew the password for from the source itself. Just stick to legitimate nzb sites and it isn't a problem.

iLOVENZB
02-10-2010, 07:44 AM
The only files I've downloaded with passwords were those that I knew the password for from the source itself. Just stick to legitimate nzb sites and it isn't a problem.

I hope you're not referring to FST's NZB index?

SoL is the one who usually posts the passworded nzb's but he supplies the password too :shutup:

slaughterads
02-25-2010, 11:05 PM
arcane names and encrypted content ensures only the target audience can retrieve it

goons pick easy targets. high grade crypto is not such.

Beck38
02-26-2010, 12:40 AM
What is with the proliferation of password maligned binaries? This is driving me crazy and I want to severely hurt the people who post this crap!

Although it seems the bulk of folks on this board are euros, the fact of life in the U.S. is that internet speeds are....

s...l...o...w

The FCC has determined that 'high speed' internet means...
(hold on to your seat)

200Kb/s download, with <50kb/s upload.

That covers about 95+% of the U.S. consumers. Only a thin 'edge of the wedge' has higher speeds available to them at ANY cost.

In my particular area, there does exist FIOS (at speeds up to 50Mb/20Mb at $120+/month) but only to some 15,000 households in an area of over 250,000+ households, over about 2000sq. miles. And, this is the only FIOS within some 250+ miles in any direction.

So, the biggest reason I see is extremely slow upload speeds. Now I'm sure, that lots of euro folks with obscene speeds use passwords, for all the reasons that have been stated.

But if I had a buck for every screaming leecher that complains that the posting isn't going 'fast' enough for them, I could retire to my McMansion a long time ago.

c0ld
02-26-2010, 01:07 AM

Today, 2 out of 4 tv shows I always watch were passworded. Had to download them again. So irritating.

dear god; 'a.b.teevee@efnet'. how difficult is it?

iLOVENZB
02-26-2010, 08:58 AM

dear god; 'a.b.teevee@efnet'. how difficult is it?

There are fakes being posted using that header. It got so bad that it was mentioned in the topic of one of the altbin chans (i think it was a.b.warez).

c0ld
02-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Not in a.b.teevee and not by [email protected].

ericab
02-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Not in a.b.teevee and not by [email protected].

*yes* in a.b.teevee

c0ld
02-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Link one.

SonsOfLiberty
02-27-2010, 02:06 AM
There saying headers :) Your saying "poster", people don't "look" at the poster, the "p-word poster" never used the same poster name so you could tell, the ID numbers weren't even the same....and fake teevee were always always always POSTED AFTER the "real ones", just look at the age, the oldest one is 99% of the time the real one if not 100%, now that's only TV shows/and ones posted by "teevee". It was with some beef with some user, and another and 'caused a ripple effect through all of the channels.

Whoever was talking about "passworded" TV posts, it's not here, not one single one....as with movies "yes" but we supply pass/and/or upload the "next one"....

See-------------> http://5z8.info/kkk_c4b8s_this-page-will-steal-all-of-your-personal-data

iLOVENZB
02-27-2010, 05:08 AM
^^^I've found that the lamer would usually use the default alias the posting client provides eg JBinup .... for JBinUp (http://www.jbinup.com/en/), or [email protected] for PP.

Kinda sad because now we all have to be suspicious before we leech.

Link one.

Look for these warning posts:

Watch-out Password Required : [15653]-[FULL]-[#a.b.teevee@EFNet]-[ Avatar.2009.DVDSCR.DVDR-VoX ] - [0/1] - "vox-avatar.src.nfo" yEnc

Watch-out Password Required : <kere.ws/illuminatenboard.org> Avatar.2009.DVDSCR.DVDR-VoX - [0/1] - "vox-avatar.src.nfo" yEnc

You can search these posts if you want, just remove the quotation marks from the filename (...[0/1] - "vox-avatar.src.nfo" yEnc...)

Also not all fakes have warning posts about them, some are blatantly obvious that they're fake eg. Them 3kb RAR's when the release should clearly be larger. As SOL has said, there are no passworded nzbs on FST, if there are they're supplied in the thread.

c0ld
02-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Look for these warning posts:

Watch-out Password Required : [15653]-[FULL]-[#a.b.teevee@EFNet]-[ Avatar.2009.DVDSCR.DVDR-VoX ] - [0/1] - "vox-avatar.src.nfo" yEncObviously fake. teevee don't post movies and alt-bin posts movies to a.b.movies.divx not a.b.m.

Watch-out Password Required : <kere.ws/illuminatenboard.org> Avatar.2009.DVDSCR.DVDR-VoX - [0/1] - "vox-avatar.src.nfo" yEnc
They are not as consistent as the efnet groups, but recently they have been pretty good at including the ID and crossposting to ath.

fwiw, newzbin has a password tagging system now. They can excluded from results.

SonsOfLiberty
02-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Obviously fake. teevee don't post movies and alt-bin posts movies to a.b.movies.divx not a.b.m.

They are not as consistent as the efnet groups, but recently they have been pretty good at including the ID and crossposting to ath.

fwiw, newzbin has a password tagging system now. They can excluded from results.

Also, it's not altbin anymore for movies anyway.

it's moovee and posted to moovee.

as with the kere.ws posts it's about the "poster" they don't do the same, binaries4ever has changed there headers as well, becasue it's being done to them as well.

usenet4all has been posting a shit ton of stuff as well and I mean a shit ton, really trying to get people to there site.

c0ld
02-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Also, it's not altbin anymore for movies anyway.

it's moovee and posted to moovee.

Hadn't noticed that tbh, they still appear to be posting to a.b.m.divx though. I expect that'll change soon.

Honestly though, I don't pay them much attention lately as they aren't as quick as some of the other scene posters any more. It used to be that if I want a new release, I'd just go straight to my efnet search, but nowadays they seem to lag several hours behind the pre.

SonsOfLiberty
02-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I think the main guys revolted or some shit, and started a.b.moovee, just like they did with a.b.teevee (used to be a.b.mm) and there pretty quick, just search #a.b.moovee.

Example: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-movie-nzbs-80/t-catch-me-if-you-can-2002-dvdrip-xvid-int-movierush-395430/

jus1haz2
02-01-2014, 03:48 AM
Its nice to be warned about passwords, but some search sites don't mention it. I remember awhile ago I would search the web, holding onto hope the file was real and the password available somewhere online.