PDA

View Full Version : Best Program For Copying Dvd's

swarnel
10-18-2003, 02:00 AM
Im buying a new computer with a DVD4+RW5 Combo Drive (burn DVD's and cds)
and i was wondering what software would be the best for making exact copies of the dvd's i already own. Im new to this whole dvd copying as well so a program with a good tutorial would be nice.

TheFilePirater
10-18-2003, 02:11 AM
dvd xcopy, you do kno, that to play dvd-r, u have to have a dvd-r player, thats usely were n00bs mess up...

swarnel
10-18-2003, 02:22 AM
lol yeah i have one
will this program save a copy of the dvd to my computer then let me burn it to a dvd-r?

TheFilePirater
10-18-2003, 02:29 AM
um i donno, never used

MUSLEMAN
10-18-2003, 02:35 AM
yes it will save it in temp then ask you to put in the empty dvd and burn to it as far as dvd-r goes you said you are buying a dvd+ burnner make sure that the burnner does both dvd- and dvd+ and you should be ok

swarnel
10-18-2003, 02:39 AM
yes it will save it in temp then ask you to put in the empty dvd and burn to it as far as dvd-r goes you said you are buying a dvd+ burnner make sure that the burnner does both dvd- and dvd+ and you should be ok

thanks musleman

3RA1N1AC
10-18-2003, 06:09 AM
i use DVD Decrypter in "file mode" to rip the DVD's entire contents and remove the region code & macrovision. then if the DVD was smaller than 4.37gb, i just burn it all straight to DVD-R with Nero.

if it's larger than 4.37gb, i delete the extra features and/or use IFO Edit to strip out some of the movie's features like the alternate soundtracks, and then burn with Nero.

i haven't tried other ways, but this has worked well for me, as far as doing 1:1 backups, stripping things out to fit movies onto burned discs, and preserving menus.

swarnel
10-18-2003, 06:33 AM
what do u mean by remove region code? allow it to play in all dvd players?

MUSLEMAN
10-18-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by swarnel@18 October 2003 - 02:33
if you copy it all dvds will play it, region is for dvd drive itself

here is a little info about region (http://hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm)

Adster
10-18-2003, 06:48 AM
I use smart ripper

3RA1N1AC
10-18-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+17 October 2003 - 22:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN &#064; 17 October 2003 - 22:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-swarnel@18 October 2003 - 02:33
if you copy it all dvds will play it, region is for dvd drive itself

here is a little info about region (http://hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm) [/b][/quote]
:huh:

the retail discs and players both have region codes. it&#39;s not just the players.

if you have a region 0 player, it should play most discs, but some discs are designed to halt and show an error message on region 0 players. that&#39;s why it can be useful to remove the region code from the DVD files when you copy them.

and yeah, when you remove the region protection from the DVD files, it doesn&#39;t matter what you play them on.

MUSLEMAN
10-18-2003, 08:38 AM
but if you don&#39;t know what you are doing you can f***up your dvd drive, my advice don&#39;t mess with it untill you need to chances are for your use you won&#39;t need it

3RA1N1AC
10-18-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@18 October 2003 - 00:38
for your use you won&#39;t need it
for my use? i have a region 0 player, i have region 1 2 & 3 discs. i do have good reason for choosing region 0. i&#39;ve flashed firmware on both stand-alone devices and PC hardware (motherboards, CD/DVD-Roms, VGA cards, IDE cards, SCSI cards, ethernet routers). i haven&#39;t f*cked anything up. thanks for your concern, though. ;)

Adster
10-18-2003, 10:08 AM
ok now im confused :blink:

swarnel
10-18-2003, 10:19 AM
im region 4 cuz im australian and i think the dvd drive im getting with the new computer is region 4
well i was told i can set what region it is so can i set the drive to region 0?

also if dvd are so new and advanced why did they even make different regions?

3RA1N1AC
10-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by swarnel@18 October 2003 - 02:19
im region 4 cuz im australian and i think the dvd drive im getting with the new computer is region 4
well i was told i can set what region it is so can i set the drive to region 0?

also if dvd are so new and advanced why did they even make different regions?
region coding was designed to stop people from importing discs from other countries, for example when you just can&#39;t wait to see a movie that&#39;s been released overseas but not in your own country.

many stand-alone players have hidden region-switching options, but for a PC dvd-rom the easiest solution is to leave your drive as region 4 and then use a program like this one-- http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm
it simply intercepts the region info and replaces it with a code that allows you to play foreign discs. if you successfully bypass the region coding, you can buy DVDs from the u.s., europe & asia without any worries about compatibility.

swarnel
10-18-2003, 11:07 AM
many stand-alone players have hidden region-switching options, but for a PC dvd-rom the easiest solution is to leave your drive as region 4 and then use a program like this one-- http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm
it simply intercepts the region info and replaces it with a code that allows you to play foreign discs. if you successfully bypass the region coding, you can buy DVDs from the u.s., europe & asia without any worries about compatibility.

thanks 3RA1N1AC
now i might be able to buy that box set of dvd i want from america