PDA

View Full Version : What film should win the Academy Award for Best Picture?

IdolEyes787
02-02-2010, 02:46 PM
With the list just announced for 2010 Oscars the independently made Iraq-war drama The Hurt Locker faces off with the most expensive movie of all time, Avatar. Both movies were nominated for nine Academy Awards, including best picture in a newly expanded field of 10, and best director.

Other best picture nominees include Precious - Based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire,Inglourious Basterds,Up in the Air,The Blind Side,District Nine,An Education,The Hurt Locker,Inglourious Basterds,A Serious Man, Up, and Up in the Air.
In the top categories, Up in the Air scored the most nominations with 5, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, as well as Best Actor, George Clooney , and Best Supporting Actress nods for both Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick.

Complete list of all the nominees here (http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/82/nominees.html)

(http://ca.eonline.com/uberblog/b165146_complete_list_of_nominations_82nd.html?sid=twitterfeed_redcarpet&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=twitterfeed&utm_campaign=twitterfeed_redcarpet&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)Of note Up, no doubt due to the category expansion , joins Beauty and the Beast as the only animated films ever nominated for Best Picture.

(http://ca.eonline.com/uberblog/b165146_complete_list_of_nominations_82nd.html?sid=twitterfeed_redcarpet&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=twitterfeed&utm_campaign=twitterfeed_redcarpet&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

clocker
02-02-2010, 03:12 PM
The Hurt Locker.

Second choice would be District 9, followed by Up In the Air/Inglorious Basterds (tie).

I haven't seen An Education or Precious yet.

IdolEyes787
02-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Yeah I voted Hurt Locker too.Not the best rounded movie but tells the story it has to tell extremely well .Most of the others are quality but lack ambition.
Avatar has ambition but not in the way I mean it.

I haven't seen Precious either.I figure if I wanted to watch pathetic fat people youtube requires a much shorter investment of my time.

megabyteme
02-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I find it kinda interesting that The Hurt Locker, Up in the Air, and A Serious Man all contain the primary messages of futility, monotony, and things out of our control. Signs of the times, maybe?

pffm
02-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Still haven't seen them all but from what I saw, really liked The Hurt Locker and Inglourious Basterds.
I found District 9 a bit overrated but still a good movie. As for Avatar, I haven't yet had the opportunity to see it, so I realy don't know what it's worth... but from what I heard and read, I would say that Avatar will win the best picture award.

mr. nails
02-02-2010, 05:58 PM
what does best picture mean? lol, i'm serious. does it mean what film i liked the most? best acting? most blood? coolest animation? what?

IdolEyes787
02-02-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm thinking and given the categories the various "Best Picture " films are nominated in , the award wins leading up to the Oscars and the fact that it's show business whichever picture between Hurt Locker and Avatar doesn't win Best Director will win Best Picture. .Hopefully and most likely Bigelow for director ( first woman woot ) and Avatar ( somewhat understandably ) for best picture.
Oh course the films could split the vote and Up in the Air sneak in there( people always like to say something like that but hardly ever happens) ,the rest are in the "just happy to be there " category.
Also Up wins Best Animated so that's it's reward and if Sandra Bullock managed a miracle and beats Streep it is the surest lock that you can go to bed early if you are waiting up for it to see if it wins Best Picture ( Same with Waltz - surest winner and IB and to a lesser degree Clooney - as in previous years - and Up in the Air)

what does best picture mean? lol, i'm serious. does it mean what film i liked the most? best acting? most blood? coolest animation? what?

If you are talking personally Best Picture can mean whatever you want it to although best usually means "the finest"
Btw favorite and best are rarely the same.If it were probably a lot of people would say ZombieLand was the best movie of the year .

tarrkovsky
02-03-2010, 12:49 AM
a serious man should win, but avatar WILL win. :(

mr. nails
02-03-2010, 10:08 PM
so i ended up voting for Avatar. unlike sum of the ppl here i really liked Avatar. i also like others in the poll as well, but the environment pulled me in more in Avatar i guess.

in order of preference:

1. Avatar
2. Hurt Locker
3. IB
4. Up
5. D9
6. Serious Man (worst CB films yet)

sez
02-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Oscar voters don't like science fiction,matter of fact none has ever won an oscar.It will really be interesting to see what they'll do now given the choice of substance and money again,my personal preference would be hurt locker followed by the blind side although critics would say,it was a rather weightless flick.

I really don't see how avatar would beat the hurt locker.They'll probably try to make a statement this year as well(sandy's blind side is officially the highest grossing flick by a female lead and then you have bigelow another woman.)

Plus the hurt locker feels like that iraqi story to get behind without worrying about political correctness.Either way its gonna be interesting to see how all this plays away.

IdolEyes787
02-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Sandra Bullock is also the only person to ever be nominated for both an Oscar ( The Blind Side ) and a Razzie ( All about Steve) in the same year.
Personally she's one of those people , like Robin Williams , that no matter what they do I still can't take seriously as an actor.

darc
02-06-2010, 05:10 AM
Surprisingly, I though Inglorious Bastards was the best movie I've seen out of all of these. I usually don't care too much for Tarantino's stuff but it was a really good movie.

The_Martinator
02-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Of those I've only seen D9. And liked it. But I'm not gonna vote. :P

Keep on discussing, though. Me likey.

Kysar
02-07-2010, 02:59 AM
The Hurt Locker.

Second choice would be District 9, followed by Up In the Air/Inglorious Basterds (tie).

I haven't seen An Education or Precious yet.

My exact votes.

brightsid
02-10-2010, 08:37 PM
I've enjoyed watching Avatar in 3d, Inglourious Basterds is an interesting Tarantino's film the first after a few years, D9 is an original type of film, and Hurt Locker has a lot to say but,

it's one of these years that the best movie is definitely a "foreign" language film. Haneke's White Ribbon has my vote. Last time I remember something similar was back in the 1999 awards

inf3
02-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Avatar gets my vote, it was wicked

yoco
02-13-2010, 05:56 PM
I vote The Hurt Locker, Avatar should not win this!

Gazian
02-15-2010, 01:47 AM

PlaystationMan
02-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Inglorious Basterds....because of the song *Un Amico* :D

Speedo
02-17-2010, 11:12 PM
I didn't like the ending of Inglorious Basterds. Give them a fighting chance instead of a jewdream. Fuck this movie.

Movie of the year I think is up.

But where is the holocaust you might say? And why aren't it dead yet I will answer.

PoKeMoN
02-19-2010, 11:24 AM

IdolEyes787
02-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Actually with the new "preferential vote " format ( ranking choices 1-10 instead of a single vote for the winner ) ,ten nominees and no overwhelming favorite it is quite conceivable ,maybe even likely that a darkhorse like Inglorious Basterds will come up the middle and win.

Be interesting to see how this little poll would change if everyone ranked the films 1-10.

senegal
02-19-2010, 05:49 PM

QPD
02-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Avatar should win...They put a lot of work in it. And the 3D is awesome!

l33tpirata13
02-19-2010, 07:20 PM
man, i looooooooooved Hurt locker, suspense and action galore. Precious probably wont win, but man, was it real. Monique will win definately win something. Up in the Air was good too, it felt "current" take from that what you will. Now as far as avatar, ive seen the movie and its decent retelling of Malinche, but i wont make my decision until i see avatar tomorrow on IMAX 3D. Then ill make a choice.;)

some1
02-20-2010, 12:20 AM
the best movie everything in it is perfect i really like is so much

eklavya
02-20-2010, 02:27 PM
why District 9 has 2 vote i know avatar is the best one ever and i vote for his but District 9 is one of the best movie to and his gonna take the seconde place im strongler recomended to you folks you not gonna waiste your times

l33tpirata13
02-21-2010, 04:15 PM
ok if i had my choice, id pick Hurt Locker. Yeah Avatar was really nice in IMAX 3D but im more of a story guy, and that one has been retold way too many times. Many think its a retelling of Pocahontas, but that is a retelling of Malinche. Anyway, putting special effects aside, I would DEFINATELY pick HURT LOCKER.

Zac090
02-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Avatar is a great movie,I hope it wins :)

sez
03-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Well so avatar 12,hurt locker 7.Lets see if tradition is going to be maintained or whether big money 3D will change all that.

IdolEyes787
03-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Take my word for it no one wants to see Cameron give that "I'm king of the world " speech again.

fedora
03-07-2010, 11:03 PM

IdolEyes787
03-08-2010, 12:37 AM
So that's clearly one vote against Avatar being any good.

l33tpirata13
03-08-2010, 01:35 PM
man, i looooooooooved Hurt locker, suspense and action galore. Precious probably wont win, but man, was it real. Monique will win definately win something. Up in the Air was good too, it felt "current" take from that what you will. Now as far as avatar, ive seen the movie and its decent retelling of Malinche, but i wont make my decision until i see avatar tomorrow on IMAX 3D. Then ill make a choice.;)

ok if i had my choice, id pick Hurt Locker. Yeah Avatar was really nice in IMAX 3D but im more of a story guy, and that one has been retold way too many times. Many think its a retelling of Pocahontas, but that is a retelling of Malinche. Anyway, putting special effects aside, I would DEFINATELY pick HURT LOCKER.

Time for me to go to Vegas.

IdolEyes787
03-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Mo'Nique said in her acceptance speech she didn't campaign because she thought the award should be given based on performance instead of politics.
She then proceeded to thank Hattie McDaniel . :unsure:

Sharkman2
03-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Yes the hurt locker was very good. I remember finding that movie on the internet almost a half a year before it was released in the theaters.

l33tpirata13
03-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Mo'Nique said in her acceptance speech she didn't campaign because she thought the award should be given based on performance instead of politics.
She then proceeded to thank Hattie McDaniel . :unsure:

yeah i rolled my eyes at that one too. Did you see Samuel Jackson's face after her speech? He was like oooooooooooook.

ThorMAN
03-15-2010, 06:41 AM
I saw The Hurt Locker a year ago, but i prefer Avatar.

VideoPower
03-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Inglorious Basterds