PDA

View Full Version : Crap/inconsistant speeds

Mazdaspeed6
02-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Im using Powerusenets unlimited plan (NON ssl) and newsleecher registered as my reader. All was great for a few months, i was getting full speed from my 8 mb connection until a few days ago. im only getting about 400 kb max and its spiking to that and erratic. BUT i also have another pc connected to same network and it runs at full speed. Obviously it a computer problem but i have updated all drivers,changed from wifi to cable,disbaled firewall/AV with no change. any ideas? btw the problem pc is win 7 x64 and the working pc in server 2003 x86

Beck38
02-03-2010, 03:31 PM
A quick check (< 1 min) shows that 'powerusenet' is a Giganews reseller.

From my perspective (west coast of the US), path goes through 'Limelight Networks', which is a major backbone provider. You might first do a trace-route from your location and see what your routing is to get to the end point.

But most probably your problem is in your router, which you don't mention. Do you have a router in your TA (terminal adapter), as an adjunct device (between your TA and your network), and which device (or both) have hardware firewalls, and which (or both) have port or IP based traffic 'rules' and such.

Mazdaspeed6
02-03-2010, 10:03 PM
I should have mentioned its a simple home network environment i have a cable modem attached to a netgear 802.11g router. No there are no hardware firewalls. i have reset the router to defaults as wel as the modem. I have already asked my ISP and they do not throttle traffic. im sure its with that one pc but dnt know whats changed on it

Beck38
02-04-2010, 12:24 AM
I think you might be a bit out of touch with the 'cable modem' and the netgear, as I'll bet both have hardware firewalls ('stateful inspection') 'turned on' by default. Most 'modern' products have it, and also have QOS parts that may or may not be active.

But cable companies are also, well, I wouldn't trust what they say further than I can heave a 747. You might try hooking straight up to the cable modem direcly, bypassing the netgear, and see if that changes anything.

Mazdaspeed6
02-04-2010, 10:33 PM
hmm, well just tried dl a file today with no changes made and its hitting s consistant 815 KB/s wierd

Beck38
02-04-2010, 10:57 PM
hmm, well just tried dl a file today with no changes made and its hitting s consistant 815 KB/s wierd

I'd put my money on mr. cableco, possibly 'playing around' with router settings, or maybe just a slight wobble in their network.

Lots of these folks, both cable, telco, you name it, don't have any decent router techs anymore (too d*m* expensive!). Back 10 years ago, a Cisco Certified person (even the lower levels), who did nothing but, was easily pulling down 100-120K a year. *poof* they're gone.

If I had access to a tier 1 node, I'd probably see a half-dozen system failures a day now. I'd have died from laughing long time ago. It's a wonder some times it all works as good as it does....

slaughterads
02-25-2010, 10:46 PM
simple home network environment i have a cable modem attached to a netgear 802.11g router.

you might want to clarify "attached to" language

.11g

Is your workstation on a WIRED connection or a wireLESS connection -- essentially problematic.

No there are no hardware firewalls.

did you mean no hardware firewall appliances?

SPI has already been addressed.

is "TCP/IP filtering" disabled in advanced TCP/IP settings? (for your LAN adapter)

Since netgear 802.11g router is far too broad I won't guess what other settings you might have misconfigured- or not corrected from abominable defaults.

i have reset the router to defaults

precisely how? and please include a model number this time.

as wel as the modem.

please include a model number this time.

I have already asked my ISP and they do not throttle traffic.

what does DSLreports say about your ISP?

im sure its with that one pc but dnt know whats changed on

ultra-broadband requires making appropriate OS changes. "The way it came" is not sufficient to handle ultra fast speeds.

why have you not opted to use EXCLUSIVELY SSL connections to/from your usenet provider???

more details would enable helpful responses

therefore "the problem pc is win 7 x64" is not enough information about your workstation.