PDA

View Full Version : Sennheiser vs Sony

2slick4u
02-03-2010, 02:47 AM
i'm looking to buy a new set of headphones and theses are 2 brands tha i'm looking at . So my question is wich brand and model would you purchase my spending limit is 100$.Here is what i like Sennheiser HD280 Pro and Sony MDR-V700DJ but i hope i can get some feedback from users wich product would you buy

Artemis
02-03-2010, 03:27 AM
Sennheiser are a music industry standard, Sony make earphones amonst other things, for me there is no competition Sennheiser all the way.
( Although I also really like Skull Candy ).

Skiz
02-03-2010, 04:16 AM
I've owned one pair of Sennheisers.... for about a week. I bought some of their more expensive earbuds (around $60). I returned them they were so awful.

Is there any reason you're limiting yourself to just these two brands?

1000possibleclaws
02-03-2010, 04:38 AM
I got a pair of skullcandy earbuds. They've broken over a dozen time through the course of 2 years, but I bought the Bestbuy $10 psp, so I can bring them in for 2 years and get free replacements.

If you're a kind of person who's always on the move, it's worth the few extra bucks to get a service plan for headphones or earbuds.

I also have Sony headphones similar to yours and I have not had any qualms with them, although I've snapped a pair once by falling on them.

Artemis
02-03-2010, 04:56 AM
I got a pair of skullcandy earbuds. They've broken over a dozen time through the course of 2 years, but I bought the Bestbuy $10 psp, so I can bring them in for 2 years and get free replacements.

If you're a kind of person who's always on the move, it's worth the few extra bucks to get a service plan for headphones or earbuds.

I also have Sony headphones similar to yours and I have not had any qualms with them, although I've snapped a pair once by falling on them.

My household has 3 pairs of Skull Candy Smokin Buds that get used frequently, one set by a pre-teen who isn't exactly gentle, with none of them spitting the dummy once. I do agree with what you say about getting a service plan though they are one piece of electronics that are prone to damage.
My personal preference is not for Sony headphones, but then they are an intensely personal and subjective purchase, you are better to try out different brands/models to find what you enjoy.
That being said, my main mobile headphones now are Nokia BH-503's .

beansis
02-03-2010, 06:40 AM
search around on the headfi forums, you'll get all your answers and more . . .

2slick4u
02-03-2010, 11:38 AM
really there is no limit to brands i'm just looking to spend 100$ and get something good, besically quality of SOUND so i can watch movies and use it with my ipod best bang for my buck

j2k4
02-04-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm always gonna go with Sennheisers for accuracy - they're more a 'reference' type of product, and once I got beyond the Cerwin-Vega! stage of my life (I still have two sets in the basement), I began to appreciate them more.

Sonys can be quite nice, but I find them a bit colored below 100Hz, with a slightly pronounced mid-bass hump.

As Artemis says, it's a subjective choice, and I like bass more than most, but I prefer to add it by choice, rather than the manufacturer's fiat.

Having said all that, I own four sets of Sennheisers, but I am currently evaluating a set of Shure SE210 sound-isolating earbuds (an in-ear model, with passive, rather than active, isolation) that are mighty nice.*

*I just bought them to use with my new 16G Nano.

Detale
02-04-2010, 01:41 AM
I own 3 pairs of Sennheisers 2 wireless and they are some of the best purchases I have made.

2slick4u
02-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Ok i decided to go Shure SRH840 , i should get them in 2 days paid 144$ so will write back a new comments and i did go over my limit the Shure SRH440 were 92$ and theses ig ot for 144$ so i think i made a right choice.Please all comments are welcome

julja357
02-06-2010, 03:52 AM
I would recommend Shure SRH840 First off, these sound great. While it may not be a fair comparison, they sound much better than my Sennheiser HD555.But was skeptical of sound quality of closed cans, especially at this price, but SQ is at least as good as, maybe slightly better than, my Grado SR125s. And some people will not like the curly cord

n00bz0r
02-06-2010, 04:24 AM
sennheiser >> sony. period.

julja357
02-06-2010, 04:27 AM
sennheiser >> sony. period.

Thank you for comments

Detale
02-06-2010, 04:42 AM
Why are you thanking him?? At the op, please tell us what you decided bud, Thanks.

2slick4u
02-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Ok i decided to pick Shure SRH840 after doing a 2 day research ,i read a lot of good things about them headphone so as soon as get it i will test them and post some reviews my second option was Shens HD380 but price was higher so SHURE it is, lets hope they will play gr8 sound.I always liked sony but they didn't last me that long 2500hrs of playing they sounded like shit so i din't go with sony