PDA

View Full Version : Is it safer?

KontrAdictioN
02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Sup guys, i got a question..

I'm accessing the internet via my neighbor network and using bittorrent to download stuffs into my laptop. After it done, i disconnected and connected to mine network. I know it is not 100% proof to anything, but is that safer than using your own network? I'm not using peer guardian or anything.

thank you for comment.

db_la_23
02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
its safer to use ur own Conn. then ur neighbors.

theman
02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
sorry i donot understand please more explanation

theGeek
02-04-2010, 02:53 PM
From what I understand you can only use one ip for torrenting (for most private sites). But yeah its safer to dl through yer neighbors network so when the MAFIAA comes after you, they'll get yer neighbors instead.

AdrianPhoto
02-04-2010, 03:45 PM
You know that's illegal, right?
not just illegal but unethical
if you get caught for downloading copyrighted stuff, your neighbor is gonna get screwed

bunny67
02-04-2010, 03:59 PM
thats naughty use your own internet ,whats next go over to his and shag his wife!!!!

ca_aok
02-04-2010, 04:05 PM
That's a complete dick move, I hope you get fucked over for doing that.

cinephilia
02-04-2010, 04:05 PM
nice pic bunny67 :coffee:

bunny67
02-04-2010, 04:08 PM
nice pic bunny67 :coffee:

thank you very much !

DakotaJune
02-04-2010, 04:40 PM
You know that's illegal, right?
not just illegal but unethical
if you get caught for downloading copyrighted stuff, your neighbor is gonna get screwed

Not necessarily. On the very small chance they do come after you, they'll go after your neighbor and won't be able to find any physical evidence (hard drive, DVD"s) to connect him.

Tokeman
02-04-2010, 04:45 PM
I love it, pirates talking about how stealing something's illegal and unethical
Way to be guys.

KontrAdictioN
02-04-2010, 04:47 PM
thanks for all the inputs guys...i just wanted to hear your opinion, that all. You don't have to called me names and stuff....if that totally wrong..then i'm not gonna do again.
appreciated it. Thanks

anon
02-04-2010, 04:59 PM
I agree with the others - it wouldn't be cool to do the pirating yourself and have your neighbor face the consequences (if applicable).

If you're going to use his Wi-Fi for downloading, you could at least use PeerGuardian. Or a VPN, but then it'd be easier to connect to it using your real connection, unless his line is faster than yours.

Also, if you're leeching at full speed, his surfing, etc., will be slower, and thus there'll be a chance he notices what's going on. Not to mention that if both him and you are using private trackers, you'll know what happens when the site detects two different accounts from the same IP.

ca_aok
02-04-2010, 05:36 PM
I love it, pirates talking about how stealing something's illegal and unethical
Way to be guys.
COPYING overpriced files from bloated billion dollar record industries is very different from BREAKING INTO your neighbor's internet connection and then performing illegal activities upon it, especially when the reasoning is that it's safer for you when it could land them in a whole world of trouble.

Tokeman
02-04-2010, 05:45 PM
The neighbor should be fine if he has no material on his computer, obviously he has an unsecured wireless connection.

I'm not defending him breaking into anything, I just find it ironic that (you) people are judging him for it.

You say its OK to steal because they (corperations) have the money and charge too much? A victimless crime so to speak?

Stealing is stealing, and its wrong, period. Theres no grey area here.

ca_aok
02-04-2010, 05:55 PM
http://www.martinchia.com/images/piracy.png

Whether it's wrong or not, you aren't stealing anything bud. If he went over to someone's house and stole some CDs, I'd say it was just as bad.

bunny67
02-04-2010, 05:59 PM
totaly agree with ca_aok

Tokeman
02-04-2010, 06:01 PM
When you copy something, you are taking money away from the people that created it. No way around this. Money is still involved.

Stealing is stealing, it is all wrong. You can be in denial all you want and lie to yourself if it helps you sleep at night, at least I'm honest enough with myself to know what I do is wrong.

cinephilia
02-04-2010, 06:13 PM
'stealing' can be interpreted in so many different ways... things are not just black or white Tokeman.

ca_aok
02-04-2010, 06:17 PM
When you copy something, you are taking money away from the people that created it. No way around this. Money is still involved.

Stealing is stealing, it is all wrong. You can be in denial all you want and lie to yourself if it helps you sleep at night, at least I'm honest enough with myself to know what I do is wrong.
Believe what you want bud, whatever helps you sleep at night. The crime you're committing is copyright infringement, or if you're running a site, perhaps conspiracy to defraud. You'll never find a filesharer being charged with theft. If you're "honest" with yourself, perhaps you should read up on exactly what you're doing.

Also, there's no proof that every copied file is a lost sale, so your logic is erroneous. If they never would have had my money in the first place, nothing is being taken away aside from a kick to their collective egos. And based on the size of my CD and LP collection I'd say I probably contribute a hell of a lot more to those corporations than many who don't pirate ;)

By your logic we should all be out there robbing banks and stealing cars, since hey, it's all theft right? Do you disagree?

'stealing' can be interpreted in so many different ways... things are not just black or white Tokeman.

Tokeman
02-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Ok, In My Opinion, its stealing. Don't really need to debate it. Was just pointing out that it was ironic that people who don't pay for things were judging some one for stealing.
You guys can go about your filesharing now with no guilt.

So, you've never dl'd something that you would have bought if filesharing didn't exist? I find that hard to believe... I can follow that logic for things like photoshop or some huge thing, but movies, music? C'mon.. get real.

ca_aok
02-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Actually no. If I download it and like it, I generally go out and buy it. At last count I had ~300CDs and ~50LPs, in addition to various movies/TV shows on DVD or Bluray. So I'd say I've given those bastards plenty of my money. What I personally think needs to happen is they need to improve upon Spotify's current model for music, which is a great idea (unlimited music streaming for a monthly fee). TV shows are already getting the message by releasing full, ad supported episodes online for free, which I think is a great initiative on their part. The stubborn companies need to react to the realities of the digital age of distribution, and figure out ways to capitalize on downloading. Trying to add more and more DRM to the formats clearly doesn't work (see: sales of PS3 consoles v.s. XBOX360 despite the 360 being crackable, the failure of the SACD to integrate itself into the mainstream, etc).

I can tell you right now if CDs were $2-5 I'd probably never pirate again. Instead, they're often around $20, which is a lot to pay for crap you've never listened to before. Most of this is bloat money devoted to the bonuses of rich executives. They're worried because due to internet distribution, artists no longer need major record labels to make money. Many artists, especially smaller ones, sell their albums themselves through their website, cutting out the middle man. They can use sites like last.fm to advertise, or release their first album to a torrent site as bands often do on What/Waffles to gain a following. The record companies are worried that now that big names like Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails have been eschewing traditional distribution methods, soon they'll be edged out of the music business all together.

McArty
02-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Do your neighbors know? I mean, you could get them in trouble...

AdrianPhoto
02-04-2010, 07:32 PM
It's not about the justification of file sharing, it's about normal ethics
I find what Tokeman has said really strange, for example.. if someone is stealing money, does that mean he doesn't have morals and ethics regarding killing another human?
if you download and, according to you, steal copyrighted material, does that ban you from the right of expressing your morality?
Doing something bad, and balming others for it, are different things..
go ahead, steal , download, do whatever you want.. you might get caught and that will get you in the end, but don't blame other people for it.

Tokeman
02-04-2010, 07:39 PM
That isn't what I meant or said, I was simply comparing (what I considered) stealing to stealing. I just found it ironic that (what I consider) theifs were judging some one for stealing wireless. I also said that I was not defending what was obviously an action that was wrong, morally and legally (IMO), by stealing wireless to torrent. Obviously i have a different opinion on what stealing is, but that aside, is what I meant.
Hope that clears up what I said before.

Edit: I asked a few people in RL about this topic, and weather they saw the irony I did, which was why I made my inital post, it was ironic, and I found it ammusing. They all agreed that it was indeed ironic. So, it seems my point is not getting accross due to the internet I suppose. I mearly posted my initial response due to the irony, nothing more, nothing less.

LubTheStaringCat
02-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Sup guys, i got a question..

I'm accessing the internet via my neighbor network and using bittorrent to download stuffs into my laptop. After it done, i disconnected and connected to mine network. I know it is not 100% proof to anything, but is that safer than using your own network? I'm not using peer guardian or anything.

thank you for comment.

I may be a pirate like many others, but their's a line you don't cross...Call It the pirate code If you like.
But people like you are parasites...Full Stop :sick:

tchiky
02-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Actually no. If I download it and like it, I generally go out and buy it. At last count I had ~300CDs and ~50LPs, in addition to various movies/TV shows on DVD or Bluray. So I'd say I've given those bastards plenty of my money. What I personally think needs to happen is they need to improve upon Spotify's current model for music, which is a great idea (unlimited music streaming for a monthly fee). TV shows are already getting the message by releasing full, ad supported episodes online for free, which I think is a great initiative on their part. The stubborn companies need to react to the realities of the digital age of distribution, and figure out ways to capitalize on downloading. Trying to add more and more DRM to the formats clearly doesn't work (see: sales of PS3 consoles v.s. XBOX360 despite the 360 being crackable, the failure of the SACD to integrate itself into the mainstream, etc).

I can tell you right now if CDs were $2-5 I'd probably never pirate again. Instead, they're often around $20, which is a lot to pay for crap you've never listened to before. Most of this is bloat money devoted to the bonuses of rich executives. They're worried because due to internet distribution, artists no longer need major record labels to make money. Many artists, especially smaller ones, sell their albums themselves through their website, cutting out the middle man. They can use sites like last.fm to advertise, or release their first album to a torrent site as bands often do on What/Waffles to gain a following. The record companies are worried that now that big names like Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails have been eschewing traditional distribution methods, soon they'll be edged out of the music business all together.

Hi!
Spotify is not available in my country...why??
have found tv243.com a great free alternative for online streaming, it shuffles music videos from youtube,vevo...not only yhe songs

anon
02-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Spotify is not available in my country...why??

Licensing restrictions. If you want a good streaming service with no country limitations try Grooveshark. I found it better than Spotify.