PDA

View Full Version : Pirating raising software prices

Tv Controls you
02-05-2010, 08:11 PM
I got on the topic of filesharing with my boss earlier today, to find out he was completely anti-piracy.

-My little story on what made me post this

I said I was on a filesharing forum (fst) and he said "oh ya I use www.snapfiles.com" . Not knowing what it was I was like "Oh does that use rapidshare or what?", he replied "no you download right off their site"
I was thinking wow this may be a nice site so I went on and searched photoshop to find no results. I said "this doesn't even have photoshop on it", and then he replies "you need to pay for that".
He then asked if the site I used had it and I said yes I use thepiratebay ...
he then said
"its assholes like you that raise the cost of programs"

I didn't say a thing as he was so angry that I could tell I shouldn't have responded unless I wanted to lose my job lol.

I don't see how piracy lowers the price and how using freeware is that much different.
If you use freeware your still not buying the payed program, and also I'm sure you probably don't intend to buy it.
Also to compete with piracy you would think companies would lower prices in order to make it seem more affordable.

Example: kaspersky sale on antivirus for a year for $30, reduced from 60 or whatever it usually is.

/discuss

That1Guy
02-05-2010, 08:41 PM
If you would have bought photoshop than he has a point since adobe is losing money from u pirating it. But the millions and millions some industries claim they are losing is BS. I would bet most people download a whole lot more than they would have bought.

The real question is, why are you telling your boss you are pirating?

Edit: yeah companies should lower prices to compete maybe (i think I heard that MS is selling office dirt cheap somewhere in Asia for this exact reason). But I think he is saying companies end up raising prices in order to make up for the fortunes lost to pirates :P. But tbh, I cant remember hearing of that ever happening so its probably just BS.

Tv Controls you
02-05-2010, 08:47 PM
The real question is, why are you telling your boss you are pirating?

Lol the way he talked about this snapfiles website sounded just like a warez-bb style site lol.

That1Guy
02-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Oops. that would suck :lol:

lysine
02-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Lol the way he talked about this snapfiles website sounded just like a warez-bb style site lol.

most of the time it's better to say nothing at all in a work setting. especially when you don't know what you're talking about.

Not to mention the institution we work at uses the same windows xp code for every machine, which is illegal I'm sure.

perhaps they have a VLK...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_license_key

Tv Controls you
02-05-2010, 09:38 PM
most of the time it's better to say nothing at all in a work setting. especially when you don't know what you're talking about.

Not to mention the institution we work at uses the same windows xp code for every machine, which is illegal I'm sure.

perhaps they have a VLK...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_license_key

I wanted to discuss piracy's effects on the cost of software and freeware vs. pirated software, not how I should act at work lol

anon
02-05-2010, 10:20 PM
"its assholes like you that raise the cost of programs"

Sure, but try telling that to someone from my country that needs Photoshop, for example. He has to multiply the price in dollars by 4. :dry:

Slickerey
02-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Sure, but try telling that to someone from my country that needs Photoshop, for example. He has to multiply the price in dollars by 4. :dry:
A bitter comeback. :lol:

I wonder why your boss would hate pirates. I bet he would be happy if he knew about torrents like we did. :naughty:

Tv Controls you
02-06-2010, 12:35 AM
A bitter comeback. :lol:

I wonder why your boss would hate pirates. I bet he would be happy if he knew about torrents like we did. :naughty:

What do you mean knows about torrents like we do? with a naughty smiley lol?

ca_aok
02-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Pirating software is probably the one subsection of piracy where they're actually losing money I would have spent, simply because I often need expensive software for school or work and I'd rather not spend the money. I do pay for operating systems and games I want to play online though.

I find that often freeware programs work just as well or better than their paid alternatives, the problem is sifting through the garbage software to find the gems. Obviously this doesn't really apply to say, CAD programs, but for simple stuff like a DVD ripper or a CD burning program this is certainly true. Personally I'm a fan of the shareware system, and if it's simply a one time cost for the software I'm more inclined to actually donate them the shareware money.

I also feel like this is the one sector of industry where prices are unbelievably marked up. I'm not that inclined to spend hundreds of dollars for an Adobe program for example.

Night0wl
02-06-2010, 01:37 AM
Pirating software is probably the one subsection of piracy where they're actually losing money I would have spent, simply because I often need expensive software for school or work and I'd rather not spend the money. I do pay for operating systems and games I want to play online though.

I find that often freeware programs work just as well or better than their paid alternatives, the problem is sifting through the garbage software to find the gems. Obviously this doesn't really apply to say, CAD programs, but for simple stuff like a DVD ripper or a CD burning program this is certainly true. Personally I'm a fan of the shareware system, and if it's simply a one time cost for the software I'm more inclined to actually donate them the shareware money.

I also feel like this is the one sector of industry where prices are unbelievably marked up. I'm not that inclined to spend hundreds of dollars for an Adobe program for example.

This is why I say they are making money rather than losing money. I've been playing around a bit with AutoCAD lately. Obviously I am not paying the +$8000 pricetag on it. But let's say I really get into it and start charging for designing houses, buildings etc. I would have no way to do that, without people asking questions, so I would have to buy it i.e. Autodesk makes money from "piracy"

The same applies to programs like PhotoShop at a 10th of the cost.

Rart
02-06-2010, 03:11 AM
I personally think that in the end, software giants won't really be affected that much by the pirating of software. Personally, before I had discovered private download sites, applications and software would be the thing I would download the least because since everything is in the manner of .exe programs, it was nearly impossible to tell whether something was virus free or not. And while we may think private torrenting may be quite successful, percentage wise we're probably a very small minority.

Although I really doubt, even if software pirating was far more common, that it would have any effect if at all on software prices. These prices nearly all seem to be dictated by the companies - even very obscure programs that you can't find on trackers have skyrocketing prices. I think this is mainly because of the market they appeal to - they can afford to charge high prices. The more specialized and complex a program is, the smaller of a market there is supplying it, which means less competition overall. In higher, complex engineering/design/whatever programs, there always seems to be the one de facto "standard" program that many people generally recognize as the most acceptable application, resulting in very little competition and monopolistic companies that can afford to set such high prices.

colbert
02-10-2010, 03:22 AM
You could frame your boss and put stolen software on his computer :P

iLOVENZB
02-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Tell him it's asshole like Steve Jobs who milk prices from customers who are willing to pay $XXX.XX for a OS thats ripped off *BSD. Also tell him it was because of CORE that I even dreamed of purchasing NERO.

Filesharing pros/cons are differnet to each user. Obviously I'm for piracy in some sense. Large corporations see it as a profit loss, Small corporations see it as a good publicity.

I think Eminem said it best?

Yo.. I listen to your demo tape and act like I don't like it
(Aww that shit is wack!)
Six months later you hear your lyrics on my shit
(What?? That's my shit!)
People don't buy shit no more they just dub it
That's why I'm still broke and had the number one club hit (Yup, uh huh)
But they love it when you make your business public
so fuck it, I've got herpes while we on the subject (uh-huh)
And if I told you I had AIDS y'all would play it
cause you stupid motherfuckers think I'm playin when I say it
-- Well, I do take pills, don't do speed
Don't do crack (uh-uhh) don't do coke, I do smoke weed (uh-huh)
Don't do smack, I do do shrooms, do drink beer (yup)
I just wanna make a few things clear
My baby mama's not dead (uh-uhh) she's still alive and bitchin (yup)
And I don't have herpes, my dick's just itchin
It's not syphilis, and as for being AIDS infestedA good developer would read reviews about leaks and then change it according to the users needs, not what they THINK they need. One example would be X-Men Origins: Wolverine; the leak didn't get good reviews - not because of the lack of CGI (dumbasses who don't know a wp = unfinished product) but because the plot was weak.

The leak was one month before the cinematical release, I went and saw it to see if anything had changed, but nothing had - except for the additional cgi being improved :P.

TraLaLa
02-10-2010, 08:22 AM
your boss have to use " legal software " it has to look good in papers right ;) he must have license for the software,its been controlled from time to time at least in my country, you have no choice you have to pay.
Pirating may be raising prices but its also the best way to " inform " people interested, i dont know haw many people pay for software / movie / game but i for sure want to tested first at full potential :P, could try demo / freeware / shareware mode but its more fun when we could have the same thing for free and if we love it maybe will buy it and thats a big maybe

iLOVENZB
02-10-2010, 08:42 AM
^^^ Yep the way I see it, if I like it I'll buy it.

I won't pay for a Demo so I don't see why I should pay for a 'Full' demo. If I like it I do buy it, it may not be in the same month but I do make the effort to pay for it.

I remember paying over $40 for The Dark Knight (Special Edt) and now it's worth not even half that.

ceo54
02-10-2010, 04:17 PM
well where i live can be considered middle of desert we dont have choice to buy stuff coz we dont have E-bnking here yet but we certainly have bittorrent and warez-bb if we need something i mean anything we dont have the choice to be POPE our only option is piracy coz its only Avail there
and this is just not about wares also includes dvds cds and whatever is out there so price rising or falling no concern
i remember how i had to fight world war to be able to purchase legal music from russia we dont even have music here lol