PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight usenet client???

whiteboy
02-06-2010, 04:50 PM
So I'm using Newsleecher 3.9 and love all the features. Mainly the fact that it repairs, unrars and deletes rars on its own.

The problem is I'm very used to utorrent and its tiny footprint. I use an old pentium 4 as my "seedbox" really just a home download machine. When I start leeching stuff from usenet that the cpu usage is all over the place. And the old machine has a loud fan.

I dont need anyone to tell me to get a new pc. Im just wondering if any of the other usenet clients are more like utorrent when it comes to the resources they consume.

Cabalo
02-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Try alt.binz. Dunno, I was going to recommend sabnzbd, but it runs some extra processes for the webserver, so it's a matter of trial and error.

whiteboy
02-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Yah gues ill just do some testing.

Alt.binz seems to be a better option. And its doing all newsleecher can do. Speeds even seem more stable but not sure if that is related.

quadomatic
02-06-2010, 10:01 PM
alt.binz

I like sabnzbdplus though.

whiteboy
02-07-2010, 01:14 AM
I cant use sabnzb or whatever its called. I just hate the whole interface and dont want a client that is browser based.

whiteboy
02-07-2010, 04:04 AM
thats new for now...
excuse me??

Skiz
02-17-2010, 05:14 AM
So I'm using Newsleecher 3.9 and love all the features. Mainly the fact that it repairs, unrars and deletes rars on its own.

Alt.Binz does all of that and is a small utility. Give it a shot.

whiteboy
02-23-2010, 02:35 AM

Alt.Binz does all of that and is a small utility. Give it a shot.
Yes I have been using it since I started this thread. I like it a lot!!!

slaughterads
02-25-2010, 10:34 PM
the lightest option is to use a daemon. optionally connect gui (browser or app) from another workstation or locally. "client" isn't the most appropriate term.. I don't really care but you might want refinement to make searching less unproductive

sabNZBd+
and
hellanzb

are well suited. I prefer the maturity- and activity of the former