PDA

View Full Version : Media Studies Project

Proper Bo
10-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Can any of you creative folk out there give me some ideas, I have to make the opening sequence for a thriller film. (I was thinking along the lines of maybe a suspense/thriller but any style thriller is fine ;) )
It has to be original (in other words, nee copying!) and last two minutes. I'm stuck on how to get started with my script (I think once I get going though I'll be okay), I have absolutley no idea for setting or anything at all so any ideas would be appreciated :)

P.s Please bear in mind that I'm a poor student with only the college's basic equipment for editing and my own pc etc. so I don't have a big budget (ie nothing) :D

Proper Bo
10-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Think this is an acceptable topic to post in movieworld maybe?

bigboab
10-18-2003, 03:21 PM
How about this older guy who falls in love with a younger 'person' on the Internet. He is spurned by the younger person, despite his continued advances and his apparent removal of some of his clothes. The younger person is sent into exile by the big bad wolf, who shall remain nameless, and is never heard from again. The older person extends his plea from the Internet to the radio waves of the world. Still without response. The older person becomes bereft with grief and even resorts to illicit liaisons with other people to try and overcome his problem. The big bad wolf threatens to kill a 'Very,very close' friend of the younger person if he ever encounters him again. To be continued......

Edited to check that any similarity to anyone living or dead has not occurred in this preface.

Proper Bo
10-18-2003, 03:23 PM
hmmmmmm.....no :P

but hey, at least you put some effort in :lol:

J'Pol
10-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by bigboab@18 October 2003 - 16:21
How about this older guy who falls in love with a younger 'person' on the Internet. He is spurned by the younger person, despite his continued advances and his apparent removal of some of his clothes. The younger person is sent into exile by the big bad wolf, who shall remain nameless, and is never heard from again. The older person extends his plea from the Internet to the radio waves of the world. Still without response. The older person becomes bereft with grief and even resorts to illicit liaisons with other people to try and overcome his problem. The big bad wolf threatens to kill a 'Very,very close' friend of the younger person if he ever encounters him again. To be continued......

Edited to check that any similarity to anyone living or dead has not occurred in this preface.
Too ridiculous mate. It has to be at least a wee bit believable.

bigboab
10-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Oh well! Nap zzzzzzzzzzzz

J'Pol
10-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Palestinian nut jon threatens to kill young Scottish computer programmer and has someone on stand-bye to attack him and his family.

Turns out the wrong person has been identified and the hit man kills him and his family

Heroic Middle aged detective who does not carry a gun, but works on brain power alone goes undercover on the internet to identify the mystery Palestinian.

Eventually he has to go to the middle east to ....

Proper Bo
10-18-2003, 03:29 PM
:lol: all that in a two minute opening sequence!

J'Pol
10-18-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Proper Bo, I tell thee@18 October 2003 - 16:29
:lol: all that in a two minute opening sequence!
That's the outline - you do the opening sequence.

It could be just pictures of computer screens - forums on screen- messsages appearing.

Give the idea of ideas spreading aroud the world, different forums, different screens, different angles.

Quick jump from shot to shot to give the impression of speed and immediacy.

Cheap to do as well.

monkfi5h
10-18-2003, 03:34 PM
Just have someone 'die' (excuse to pour red things on them for blood) and then a movie trailer type of events to follow

clocker
10-18-2003, 03:35 PM
"A botched genital enhancement procedure leads a grief stricken, spurned lover to a terrible rampage"

Page 2.

J'Pol
10-18-2003, 03:35 PM
Film the message being typed onto the screen.

Then show it being looked at by lots of different people.

Proper Bo
10-18-2003, 03:37 PM
just to clear up here....
I only need to do 2 minutes, it doesn't need any story to follow the opening sequence so i think if i did Jpaul's idea it wouldn't work too well ;)

clocker
10-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by JPaul@18 October 2003 - 08:35
Film the message being typed onto the screen.

Then show it being looked at by lots of different people.
Gripping JPaul.

Two minutes of the same message being read by a parade of people.

Maybe the Coen brothers could make it work...

Can we work a wood chipper in there somehow?

clocker
10-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Proper Bo, I tell thee@18 October 2003 - 08:37
just to clear up here....
I only need to do 2 minutes, it doesn't need any story to follow the opening sequence so i think if i did Jpaul's idea it wouldn't work too well ;)
Even with the woodchipper?

Proper Bo
10-18-2003, 03:40 PM
can i start a charity collection to be able to afford a woodchipper rental?

3rd gen noob
10-18-2003, 03:40 PM
what about if you film a clock ticking for 2 minutes
then every second, you splice in an image (could be 60 different people, scenes, whatever)

(p.s. i know there's 120 secs in 2 mins, what i mean is an image for one second, then the clock for 1 second etc...)

stupid idea, i know, but JPaul's clock got me thinking...

Proper Bo
10-18-2003, 03:43 PM
hmmm I like a clock-ish idea, makes making the soundtrack a hell of a lot easier :D

clocker
10-18-2003, 03:44 PM
Did I not already donate a "clock-ish" idea?

3rd gen noob
10-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by clocker@18 October 2003 - 15:44
Did I not already donate a "clock-ish" idea?
sorry, i didn't read the whole topic before i posted

Mr. Mulder
10-18-2003, 03:51 PM
If moneys a problem then you should do something clever and out of sequence (Memento style ;) )

Mr. Mulder
10-18-2003, 03:54 PM
If moneys a problem then you should do something clever and out of sequence (Memento style  ;)  )

Just realized that made no sense, by Memento style I ment people sitting around talking, saying clever stuff about things that haven't happened, if you can't dazzle them, confuse them ;)

Proper Bo
10-18-2003, 03:55 PM
well you certainly did that :P

clocker
10-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Why not turn in the first two minutes of Gigli?

Nobody saw that.

Proper Bo
10-18-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by clocker@18 October 2003 - 16:55

Nobody saw that.
:lol:

J'Pol
10-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by clocker@18 October 2003 - 16:55

Nobody saw that.
Nobody saw the first two minutes :blink:

Was there a problem with the final print or something.

Oh and I meant different messages arse, one thing leading to another. The story growing and spreading at the same time. The juxtaposition of different interpretations of the original message.

Hey I could make it last 2 minutes, just getting the audience to understand 1 of j2's posts. We would have to cut to Mirriam occasionally tho'.

clocker
10-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by JPaul@18 October 2003 - 09:00

Hey I could make it last 2 minutes, just getting the audience to understand 1 of j2's posts. We would have to cut to Mirriam occasionally tho'.
Nothing like verbosity to keep 'em enthralled.

Works for Bill O'Reilly.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

Bill O'Reilly.....woodchipper.....

Hmmmm.

J'Pol
10-18-2003, 04:08 PM
Can the written word be verbose ?

J'Pol
10-18-2003, 04:10 PM
BO - QUICK CANCEL THE WOODCHIPPER (http://www.naplesnews.com/03/10/florida/e17301a.htm)

clocker
10-18-2003, 04:10 PM
I thought we were working in a visual medium here...

Spider_dude
10-18-2003, 06:08 PM
how about someone finds dinosaur dna in really old tree gum, but rather than trying to bring back dinosaurs, instead opts to just eat the gum. which gives him super powers and he becomes Dinosaur_dude. Dino dude goes on to get an arch nemesis, tree leaf man, who likes stealing from the poor to give to the poorer. but they were both friends at school and have to join upm again to fight the evil dr.demento who is demented and a mentalist. it can the cut to a shot of them in the pub getting pished and trying to pull the barmaid who was actually a transveestite and they can think awww well who cares, and that will never ever happen again ...ohh the memories will someone please stop the pain????

clocker
10-18-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@18 October 2003 - 11:08
how about someone finds dinosaur dna in really old tree gum, but rather than trying to bring back dinosaurs, instead opts to just eat the gum. which gives him super powers and he becomes Dinosaur_dude. Dino dude goes on to get an arch nemesis, tree leaf man, who likes stealing from the poor to give to the poorer. but they were both friends at school and have to join upm again to fight the evil dr.demento who is demented and a mentalist. it can the cut to a shot of them in the pub getting pished and trying to pull the barmaid who was actually a transveestite and they can think awww well who cares, and that will never ever happen again ...ohh the memories will someone please stop the pain????
And what do you envision for the second minute?

bigboab
10-18-2003, 07:48 PM
May I suggest Noob that you employ Clocker as continuity assistant. He knows all about the two minutes and he has more hands on his time. :P