PDA

View Full Version : $10-ish, customseedbox, feral hosting, or what?

quadomatic
02-07-2010, 05:29 AM
Feral Hosting and CustomSeedbox.com both have plans at about $10 (about what I pay for usenet now).

100GB of drive space is something I feel I can deal with. I'm looking at the 2010 plans for customseedbox, and I'm not sure what the RAM thing means:

http://www.customseedbox.com/2010

Does 400MB mean then only 4 active torrents at a time?

Does anyone have other recommendations?

Cabalo
02-07-2010, 05:56 AM
No, 400MB is the available RAM for your "virtual computer".
This is quite low to handle medium to high loads. Don't forget that most torrent clients use ram as a buffer to reduce disk access, and the higher it is, less load goes on the HDDs which are the bottleneck at very high DL speeds. Write cycles are slower than read cycles.
Always keep that in mind.

unoriginal
02-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Feral charges in British pounds. So that 10GBP becomes about $15.50US (or so at today's exchange rates), just something to keep in mind. Plus they just recently introduced upload caps on their plans so if you plan on upping a lot of material you might want to look elsewhere.

quadomatic
02-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Well then should I consider seedcafe.info? That's $15. The HD space is kinda limited though.

unoriginal
02-08-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm currently with Customseedbox on his Tiny plan. I get 75GB and unlimited transfer until the 3TB OVH traffic shaping kicks in on the server. I am looking forward to the new plans buy want to see if the new place he is getting the servers from with traffic shape after a while as well. I only have a few days left in my billing cycle so I am going to move to a different provider for this month.

For now I am signing up with byte sized hosting on their 110GB Lunch Box which is available right now as I write this. At 12euros its a bit more than I wanted to pay but I know a couple people that signed up with them already and are pretty happy. I should be able to give a decent review in a couple days.

oklahomasucks
02-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Feral = 750GB upload
Custom seed box = 5TB.

Feral has good speeds, but the bandwidth cap is the killer.

unoriginal
02-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Customseedbox is reselling OVH/Kimsufi right now so the 3TB limit applies just like all the other places that sell it. The new 5TB plans don't start until next week and from what I read here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1300442&p=48

It looks like we may have to prepay 3 months in advance to get on one of the new servers. Even more reason to let someone else try it out first and see if the performance measures up to what should be expected.

quadomatic
02-09-2010, 03:57 AM
Ick, 3 months in advance? I guess I could just sit on Astraweb till someone says something about how good customseedbox is with the new plans

masdani
02-14-2010, 04:50 AM
go with fastsh.it, and u will be happy like me

:D