PDA

View Full Version : Too many incomplete files?

taniquetil
02-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Hey, I'm using the Binverse client, and I notice that on very large .nzbs (like, HD movies and video games) where the .rar files are larger (like >40MBs), I'm often getting situations where every .rar files I download is incomplete.

When there are so many incomplete files it's impossible to repair them using Quickpar. Am I doing something wrong or is this just something that happens with larger files that I have to learn to live with?

mesaman
02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
They should be perfect.

ericab
02-08-2010, 04:37 AM
what provider are you with taniquetil

taniquetil
02-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm using Binverse

I think you have to use their service if you use their software.

mesaman
02-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Binverse resells news-service.com

taniquetil
02-08-2010, 04:45 PM
I see. I've been on Usenet for a while as a lurker but I haven't delved too deeply into the technical aspects.

Anyway, is there any word as to why I can't seem to complete large .rar files? If I'm downloading smaller things, like TV Shows and smaller movies, i can get almost 100% completion on .rars, and sometimes don't even need to using PAR files to repair, but when they are larger .rars, I get almost 100% incomplete files.

MultiForce
02-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Is there any log in that program? It should at least tell you if the parts are missing on the sever or something.

Try another client (Grabit, Alt.Binz or whatever) and the same NZB.
Sign up for a trial @ Giganews or some other place and test the same NZB there (I dunno if you can use that Binvers client there).

Morpheus
02-09-2010, 02:22 AM
It could just be a retention problem. That is to say, Binverse doesn't have the files completed on their servers. How old is the NZB file in question?

taniquetil
02-11-2010, 04:11 AM
Well, I just finished downloading a video game with 78 .rar files of 98 MB each.

Every single one of them is incomplete. Also, when I use QuickPar to analyze the files, every .rar file is 97% complete, meaning it is only missing one data block.

What's going on?

mesaman
02-11-2010, 09:42 PM
What MultiForce said... you'll need to use a program that can make a session log, then analyze it for errors.

Also, don't let any antivirus see the undecoded yEnc data as it comes in.

SonsOfLiberty
02-15-2010, 04:08 AM
Well, I just finished downloading a video game with 78 .rar files of 98 MB each.

Every single one of them is incomplete. Also, when I use QuickPar to analyze the files, every .rar file is 97% complete, meaning it is only missing one data block.

What's going on?

Go to a NZB search engine, like NZBIndex and/or Binsearch, and search the files you downloaded and see if it's got "red" below the release name at all, red means it's INC, if it shows it's incomplete there, means it's incomplete...but if it shows complete, it might be missing blocks on your server, just get a cheap "fill account" for like $5 and see if it's still incomplete. It depends on how old they are too....the age range There's more factors going into this though, but if it happens on "every" download, you may want to contact your providers support/help site.

I personally use NewsLeecher and never pay attention to INC's, it auto repairs and extracts, and downloads pars auto if needed...

slaughterads
02-25-2010, 10:57 PM
It could just be a retention problem

you are conflating retention and completion

taniquetil
03-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Wow, I just had a really strange solution to the problem that probably doesn't make any sense.

I downloaded a game (around 7 GB) from alt.binaries.x and got every one of the 90 .rar files incomplete, about 75 of them only missing one data block.

I then downloaded the same file from alt.binaries.boneless and got most of the files incomplete and was able to repair the entire post using QuickPar.

What just happened?

c0ld
03-14-2010, 08:38 PM
I'd have thought that most downloaders would check for missing parts in cross posted groups automagically. What are you using?

taniquetil
03-14-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm using Binverse.

cola
03-16-2010, 07:12 PM
I'd have thought that most downloaders would check for missing parts in cross posted groups automagically. What are you using?

If you're using an NZB, theres no reason since all the messages will have the same message-IDs regardless of which groups they were crossposted in.