PDA

View Full Version : what Ms Office for a new retail PC?

worldpease
02-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi guys, my uncle bought a new Hp (Slim) Computer,
it has Windows 7 64bit and, to make the story short, you know how most retail machines get all this useless programs, and the ones that one actually needs, only come in trial versions; in this case, Office 2007 being the case.
So now we are checking what Office Edition he actually needs:

- Ms Office Home & Student 2007: $140 Dlls
- Ms Office Home & Student 2007 OEM: $80 Dlls
- Ms Office 2007 Professional: $460 Dlss
- Ms Office 2007 Standard: $370 Dlls
- Ms Office 2007 Standard Upgrade: $210 Dlls
-Or, does he only have to call Microsoft to get a cheaper deal
and get a key or something?

I usually get any version there is and install it,
but since this is the first PC he's bought... well you get the idea; so I just want to lay out the options for him.
Tnx guys.
-

db_la_23
02-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Ms Office 2007 Professional: is a good choice. well its up to him to get a legal copy r a pirated one. he can get a legal copy if u gets a good deal.

Olmek
02-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I think your uncle can firstly have a try OpenOffice which is a free software
If it's enough for him,he can just use it.
If not,he can check what to require and buy the right version of MS Office.

peat moss
02-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Whats he going to use Office for ? E-mail jokes or he needs the program for work .

I never use a single thing but some obscure Power Point joke my buddies send me . Sooo my point is does he need it ?

worldpease
02-09-2010, 01:49 AM
OpenOffice, yeah I've heard of it but never tried it. I guess as 'Olmek' said, he can give it a go and see if it meets his needs.

And yes 'peat moss' I normally agree with that, I even use word or excel only because they are there, but aside from that.
But as it turns out he actually does use those apps and has come to rely a great deal on them both for work and other stuff.