PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question...

fkdup74
10-18-2003, 06:08 PM
ok, heres my dilemna...i got all these extra pics in my desktop, apparently left there from viewing em in 'windows picture and fax viewer' or photoshop, and i dont need em there, but i cant seem to find a way to get rid of em (items in desktop wont right-click for options) i looked through all i could think of for a setting thats tellin my comp to send pics to desktop, but cant find it......
am i overlooking something? :blink: (probably somethin thats a no-brainer?)

pol
10-18-2003, 06:30 PM
i've never heard of that happening myself, are they thumbnails or full pics ? and are you the admin of the computer ? is it just these files you cant right click ?

fkdup74
10-18-2003, 07:05 PM
pretty much yeah to all....i'm admin, only these files wont right click....
theyre in: control panel>display>desktop
these files werent there before, theyre pics i d/l'd off web, sent em to 'my pictures', not desktp.....cant remember em bein in desktop til i viewed em, but wether it was p&f viewer or photoshop i dont remember

pol
10-18-2003, 07:13 PM
theyre in: control panel>display>desktop

do you mean they're ending up as your desktop wallpaper ?

fkdup74
10-18-2003, 07:39 PM
thyere in the list for my desktop wallpaper, theyre not automatically replacing my wallpaper or nothin unless i tell it to, theyre just there withuot my tellin em to be there.......

pol
10-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by FKDUP74@18 October 2003 - 19:39
thyere in the list for my desktop wallpaper, theyre not automatically replacing my wallpaper or nothin unless i tell it to, theyre just there withuot my tellin em to be there.......
for some reason, they might be getting saved here (xp) -

C:\Documents and Settings\-your name-\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft

have a look there and if they are there, then delete them then check the list again - i'm pretty sure it wont be 'picture and fax viewer' and i dont think it would be photoshop either, any other image editor/software you've been using ?

fkdup74
10-18-2003, 07:50 PM
still got paintshop 7, but never viewed these pics in paintshop, gonna check out the files you mentioned and see......
er...its paintshop pro 8, not 7 :D

fkdup74
10-18-2003, 08:09 PM
er...ok....in C:\documents and settings all i got is administrator, owner, and all users and no local settings folder in any of em....did a search on 'local settings' and it gave me results on a few folders that arent there :huh:

pol
10-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by FKDUP74@18 October 2003 - 20:09
er...ok....in C:\documents and settings all i got is administrator, owner, and all users and no local settings folder in any of em....did a search on 'local settings' and it gave me results on a few folders that arent there :huh:
that folder's a hidden one - open a folder, click the 'tools' menu > folder options > tick the box "show hidden files" - that will let you see the 'local settings' folder

sparsely
10-18-2003, 08:21 PM
all pics in your My Pictures folder appear in the Display > Desktop panel by default.
If you don't want them to show up in that dialog, move them to another folder.

pol
10-18-2003, 08:27 PM
all pics in your My Pictures folder appear in the Display > Desktop panel by default.

i've never changed a setting like that on my pc and those pictures dont end up in my desktop display box

@FKDUP74 - has this always happened with the pics from your "My Pictures" folder ?

fkdup74
10-18-2003, 08:32 PM
no, not til recently (and i found the folders you mentioned after 'showing hidden files' :lol: (i knew there was gonna be a no-brainer in this somwhere :lol: )the only image file in the folder was my current desktop
checked all file handling options in photoshop and paintshop, found nothing concerning sending files to desktop, hmmmm.....

pol
10-18-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by FKDUP74@18 October 2003 - 20:32
no, not til recently (and i found the folders you mentioned after 'showing hidden files' :lol:  (i knew there was gonna be a no-brainer in this somwhere :lol: )the only image file in the folder was my current desktop
checked all file handling options in photoshop and paintshop, found nothing concerning sending files to desktop, hmmmm.....

check this location for the picture files you have in the "display" box

C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper

fkdup74
10-18-2003, 10:00 PM
nope, not there either....this is drivin me ape sh*t :lol:
its only a couple of megs max maybe, but if i cant control where a couple of megs here and there go, pretty soon i'll have gigs of extra files :(

pol
10-18-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by FKDUP74@18 October 2003 - 22:00
nope, not there either....this is drivin me ape sh*t :lol:
its only a couple of megs max maybe, but if i cant control where a couple of megs here and there go, pretty soon i'll have gigs of extra files :(

use 'search' on your full computer and search for the filenames of the pics - not just a pic search tho' - 'all files and folders'

fkdup74
10-18-2003, 10:29 PM
nope, sparse nailed it, moved em into another folder, put em in 'my documents' for now, and theyre out of the desktop list.....
thanks sparse, and pol for bein patient and tryin to help me figure this out