PDA

View Full Version : Torrenting - Is the end getting closer ?

mievmo
02-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Last year we suddenly all received the news of large sites and important source of our information suddenly closed. Over the years, the fight against sharing/BT in world got stronger and more aggressive, so what does that mean? Are we approaching the end of an era Torrents? What do you think?

TP635
02-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Yes. Nothing last forever, but as sure as BT death is nearing, some form of p2p will take over.

karachidude
02-09-2010, 02:05 AM
no its not dying in the near future,10's of sites opening each day,but maybe in some countires torrenting would be made harder,but there are always ways around it.i think

snagit
02-09-2010, 02:15 AM
If torrenting ever ended, I think I'd cry (seriously). :cry:

Zac090
02-09-2010, 02:26 AM
no its not dying in the near future,10's of sites opening each day

:yup:

Cabalo
02-09-2010, 03:17 AM
It will surely be the hottest target in the coming years, for a fair number of reasons.
From taking up much of the available bandwidth of the ISPs, with so much centralized contents (making it easy to cut the dragon's head), from petty fights between the owners of those sites who thrive sharing everyone's information, being extremely easy to join any tracker (two of the ones that closed last year were supposed to be secretive).

I've used pretty much every available filesharing protocol and followed their "scene", and if there's one I wouldn't miss is bt. (well, I would miss it. For the lulz it provided).

Tv Controls you
02-09-2010, 03:39 AM
It will surely be the hottest target in the coming years, for a fair number of reasons.
From taking up much of the available bandwidth of the ISPs, with so much centralized contents (making it easy to cut the dragon's head), from petty fights between the owners of those sites who thrive sharing everyone's information, being extremely easy to join any tracker (two of the ones that closed last year were supposed to be secretive).

I've used pretty much every available filesharing protocol and followed their "scene", and if there's one I wouldn't miss is bt. (well, I would miss it. For the lulz it provided).

Don't you use BT for almost all of your downloads?

I use all BT torrent sites myself and warez-bb once in a blue moon. I would die with BT I think lol.

...Anywho back on the topic of BT going down.. The only way they will ever stop BT is if they just start taking tons of people to court.
You shut one site down.... We move to the next one... this will happen forever (not to sound unsympathetic because I have great respect for sites that get shut down)

Cabalo
02-09-2010, 03:45 AM

I use all BT torrent sites myself and warez-bb once in a blue moon. I would die with BT I think lol.

No I no longer do. I barely use bt nowadays.
Blame it on FST. It showed me the darkest corners of that world. If you took a look at the report section, you would agree with me without a blink.

...Anywho back on the topic of BT going down.. The only way they will ever stop BT is if they just start taking tons of people to court.

No. BT takes a heavy toll on the ISPs infrastructures. Hence all the conversation about traffic shaping and download limits. And it doesn't stop growing.
If it will collapse, it will be due to the ISPs closing the tap.

kallieb
02-09-2010, 03:50 AM
Piracy will not go away, that much I'm certain of. Different means may arise, because the drive to pirate will always remain stronger than the drive to wipe us out. We are far more motivated to get our stuff for free, than the handful of file-cops are to catch/burn individual file sharers.

What works in our favour is that the ease or difficulty of torrenting depends a great deal on where you're from.

Im fortunate that my country doesn't try to impose the death penalty on BT users.

Gotta love it :) Viva la Pirates !!!

Tv Controls you
02-09-2010, 03:51 AM

No I no longer do. I barely use bt nowadays.
Blame it on FST. It showed me the darkest corners of that world. If you took a look at the report section, you would agree with me without a blink.

What do you use now adays then?

There are bad people where every you go, although I have no idea what kind of stuff you are seeing in the report section that deters you from BT.

Its the fastest method of filesharing and pretty underground on most sites.

Cabalo
02-09-2010, 04:10 AM
1. What do you use now adays then?

2. There are bad people where every you go, although I have no idea what kind of stuff you are seeing in the report section that deters you from BT.

3. Its the fastest method of filesharing and pretty underground on most sites.

1. I use newsgroups and rapidshare. bt in less than 5% of my needs.

2. FST reflects the good and the bad in bt. Though it's a forum not only for BT, 90%+ of the reports are bt related.
Everything circles around an unspoken economy. The "donations" for an invite; trading sites because some are harder to get into than others (basic economical principle); invites being sold left and right (many times to help pay an invite for an harder to get into site); people scamming each other and trading for the sole purpose of curiosity; most sites being ran by kids who have total disrespect for individual's privacy (see the infamous BT general thread); power hungry kids who use sites just for bragging rights, making them as bad as the traders they so much hate; forums about bt which are private (forum and private in the same sentence :unsure:) and where invites are pushed around like candy, with the trackers knowledge; pseudo-leet communities who think they run bt because the members are selected and have to follow rules of conduit everywhere, so they won't ruin everyone else's chances to join those same rare trackers; the seedbox business which thrives because everyone wants to achieve those high ranks in certain communities which will lead them to think they are good members and then can apply for even more sites (or trade those invites they get along the road); the amount of ass kissers who declared themselves anti-traders because it was a cool trend, when in the end all they want is to please some staffers who are then supposed to "trust" them; did I already mention the staff wars among trackers; users trying to catch other users trading just to show off so they can get invited somewhere else, and so on.

3. No it isn't. :noes: Newsgroups own it anytime, same happens with rapidshare accounts (though these can sometimes depend on the peering).

Tv Controls you
02-09-2010, 04:21 AM
I thought you were like 100% BT man lol, sort of just blew my mind.

I agree with all the points you have listed in #2, as I have experienced it all just by being in the general Bt section for over 3 months.
I never used newsgroups ever so I can't compare, but I know torrents are alot faster than rapidshare for me.

I myself dislike BT when tracker staff is immature or power hungry. Especially when they are so full of themselves they forget why they initially made the site... to share files.

RexNex
02-09-2010, 04:36 AM
1. What do you use now adays then?

2. There are bad people where every you go, although I have no idea what kind of stuff you are seeing in the report section that deters you from BT.

3. Its the fastest method of filesharing and pretty underground on most sites.

3. No it isn't. :noes: Newsgroups own it anytime, same happens with rapidshare accounts (though these can sometimes depend on the peering).

Don't know what BT sites you are on but newsgroups won't max out a gbit connection, a good BT site will. Not to mention newsgroups pretimes are generally slower than a fast BT tracker as well.

Cabalo
02-09-2010, 04:41 AM
I thought you were like 100% BT man lol, sort of just blew my mind.

I agree with all the points you have listed in #2, as I have experienced it all just by being in the general Bt section for over 3 months.
I never used newsgroups ever so I can't compare, but I know torrents are alot faster than rapidshare for me.

I'm not detached of bt at all. I just see it from a different perspective. One that doesn't please many of those who I have mentioned at #2, which represent 90% of the bt population I've met. :ermm:
I still try my best to make FST (and therefore, the bt community which communicates with this place) a forum where some can actually learn something. It's like fighting with windmills at times, but it's a responsibility of anyone who cares.

That doesn't mean I use that protocol too often. I was dumb enough to have rented seedboxes in the past and donated to sites who were not worthy. I spent my fair amount of time involved deep in that "bt economy".
I just took a breath and thought: what the fuck is this? Is this any worth? My time and my money? No.

FST on the other hand, serves a different purpose. I "donate" my time to this place, and it's well worth it. This forum made me laugh more times than I can remember. It's pure entertainment being a member here. :)

Don't know what BT sites you are on but newsgroups won't max out a gbit connection, a good BT site will. Not to mention newsgroups pretimes are generally slower than a fast BT tracker as well.

Do you have a home gigabit connection? I thought so...
Try downloading any .torrent over a couple months old and then compare.
I'm sure any file I download from newsgroups will maximize my home line. With bt that doesn't happen. Therefore, as a end user, newsgroups is way faster than bt. Simple logic. Everything else are bt economics which are ridiculous.

thizzkid
02-09-2010, 05:26 AM
newsgroups are inferior to BT....

BT wont stop, and you that dont want to "donate" your time and money in BT and instead waste your time with newsgroups will regret it in time to come.

Not everybody is sucked up in this so called "dark BT economy" well it is if you are part of it yourself, there will always be users/admins etc.. with bad intentions.... But the good or shall is say "normal" people will always outway the bad... If you emerge yourself in the bad parts of BT then too bad for you because your ruining it for yourself...

BT is great, all the people ive met are really cool down-to-earth people.

There is always a market for something, if there is a demand there will be a supplier, when and if isp's start blocking BT then a new one will emerge that doesnt...

BT wont die it will get stronger as time goes on.

apextwin146
02-09-2010, 06:45 AM

keep talking trash .. you can only say one thing is inferior after making a comparision and i dont see you doing that .. r we supposed to believe it just cuz u say so?
Your title is quite a relevant precursor to your posts i say

The_Martinator
02-09-2010, 06:49 AM

BT wont stop, and you that dont want to "donate" your time and money in BT and instead waste your time with newsgroups will regret it in time to come.

Not everybody is sucked up in this so called "dark BT economy" well it is if you are part of it yourself, there will always be users/admins etc.. with bad intentions.... But the good or shall is say "normal" people will always outway the bad... If you emerge yourself in the bad parts of BT then too bad for you because your ruining it for yourself...

BT is great, all the people ive met are really cool down-to-earth people.

There is always a market for something, if there is a demand there will be a supplier, when and if isp's start blocking BT then a new one will emerge that doesnt...

BT wont die it will get stronger as time goes on.

BT fanboi? :lol:

This reminds me of the old Sega-Nintendo wars (allthough I was very young I read about them later).

thizzkid
02-09-2010, 07:04 AM
keep talking trash ..

Im shaking in my boots

.. r we supposed to believe it just cuz u say so?

First of all who is "we"...

Anyways.., you or "yall" can believe what i say if you like. , im just trying to figure out how I could make somebody "believe" that BT is superior to newgroups as if such a thing can be a fact, it is my opinion...

newsgroup fanboi?

BT fanboi? :lol:

You can say that...

b3owulf
02-09-2010, 07:24 AM
2. FST reflects the good and the bad in bt. <...>
Great post. As one man said, this forum is the only true representation of BT community, and this community is full of shit. BT is not only being destroyed by outside (ISP caps and limits, courts, etc), but from inside too, by it's own community. IDK how it's gonna last, nobody knows, but the fact is that BT as we see it nowadays is diyng steadily. What will be next? Maybe BT will reorganize, maybe newsgroups will take its place... We'll see.

thizzkid
02-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Great post. As one man said, this forum is the only true representation of BT community, and this community is full of shit.

Im sorry, but i can not For the life of me figure out how this forum is a dead on representation of BT as a whole?...

And the reference to BT being full of shit??
Where do you guys get this??
I dont get this AT ALL, my experience in BT.
Ofc if have came ocross my share of scammers/cheaters etc...
But thats only natural in any group of anything there will be a bad apple...

If its so full of shit why are you even posting a BT thread??

but the fact is that BT as we see it nowadays is diyng steadily.

Orly? I see it getting stronger all the time, anything thrown at BT, BT surpasses, for example two prominent trackers died around the same time, and what happened??

Trackers around the net welcomed them with open arms...

b3owulf
02-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Im sorry, but i can not For the life of me figure out how this forum is a dead on representation of BT as a whole?...

And the reference to BT being full of shit??
Where do you guys get this??
I dont get this AT ALL, my experience in BT.
Ofc if have came ocross my share of scammers/cheaters etc...
But thats only natural in any group of anything there will be a bad apple...

If its so full of shit why are you even posting a BT thread??

but the fact is that BT as we see it nowadays is diyng steadily.

Orly? I see it getting stronger all the time, anything thrown at BT, BT surpasses, for example two prominent trackers died around the same time, and what happened??

Trackers around the net welcomed them with open arms...
Cabalo already explained everything, see his post. And as for representations of community, heh :) This forum is the oldest one dedicated to filesharing. You wanna tell me about TPS and tR? They are too small. TPS is filed by hypocrites and collectors. tR.. I can't say a lot about it. Anyway, all the action is going here.

As for your 2nd statement, if only someone wanted he could take down any major tracker, it's easy. The only problem is within the law system. Scene trackers with Scene axx and auto-bot can fall easily since they do host files on their servers (SURPRISE!).

You must be blind not to see everything.

apextwin146
02-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Im shaking in my boots

Look Old skool style Sarcasm .. You would expect people to be a bit more original but kids these days :(

.. r we supposed to believe it just cuz u say so?

First of all who is "we"...

"We" comprises of the informed/aware p2p users that just dont believe in something cuz some keyboard hugging twat said so

newsgroup fanboi?

Again your logical reasoning amazes me .. just cuz i rate Newsgroup higher than BT i must be a Newsgroup fanboi cuz there arnt any other p2p/file sharing protocols that exist

thizzkid
02-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Anyway, all the action is going here.

This made me LOL so hard its really not even funny any more.... :dry:

EDIT: no its still funny

As for your 2nd statement, if only someone wanted he could take down any major tracker, it's easy. The only problem is within the law system. Scene trackers with Scene axx and auto-bot can fall easily since they do host files on their servers (SURPRISE!).

You must be blind not to see everything.

Well buddy you see, you yourself must be blind, because this is the beauty of BT, we do not need servers, and why? Because we as BT users are sharing files from one computer to the next, we dont rely on servers, if axx went down then it would be newsgroups that would die instantaneously, ill let you ponder on that... :whistling

kukushka
02-09-2010, 09:41 AM
we already saw tpb being ip blocked at some traffic hub in NL or how does it called... right now there's no chain reaction with this ip blocking but when it'll start, bt will die very quickly

thizzkid
02-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Look Old skool style Sarcasm .. You would expect people to be a bit more original but kids these days :(

Well ima old school kinda guy..

"We" comprises of the informed/aware p2p users that just dont believe in something cuz some keyboard hugging twat said so

Hmm ill quote myself on this one.

"Anyways.., you or "yall" can believe what i say if you like.....It is MY OPINION"

Again your logical reasoning amazes me .. just cuz i rate Newsgroup higher than BT i must be a Newsgroup fanboi

It was just a question... (you can tell by the question mark at the end ;))

cuz there arnt any other p2p/file sharing protocols that exist

Well none worth mentioning...:whistling

apextwin146
02-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Well ima kinda gay..

i knw it

Hmm ill quote myself on this one.

"Anyways.., you or "yall" can believe what i say if you like.....It is MY ONION"
You have a right to opinon whereas we have a right to ignore baseless opinon .. You want to be heard and noticed support your opinion with some facts just dont randomly spew out shit cuz you have a keyboard and internet access ..

Again your logical reasoning amazes me .. just cuz i rate Newsgroup higher than BT i must be a Newsgroup fanboi

It was just a question... (you can tell by the question mark at the end ;))

cuz there arnt any other p2p/file sharing protocols that exist

Well none worth mentioning...:whistling
DumbASs it was one single statement
"just cuz i rate Newsgroup higher than BT i must be a Newsgroup fanboi cuz there arnt any other p2p/file sharing protocols that exist"
Re read it again slowly till it makes sense

thizzkid
02-09-2010, 10:45 AM
apextwin146 I wish i was as cool as you...

^^ This post made my fucking day, thanks b3owulf...

Please disable my account

apextwin146
02-09-2010, 10:55 AM

^^ This post made my fucking day, thanks thizzkid...

Funkin'
02-09-2010, 11:20 AM

I don't see how a method that was here long before BT came about, and I'm sure will be around long after BT dies(not only that, but is faster and more secure), is "inferior". The only downfall of Usenet is that you have to actually pay for a good provider. But that one single little con by far outweighs all the many cons of BT, in my opinion. But everyone has their own views...

QPD
02-09-2010, 01:30 PM
We have to move the servers to India, or Afganisthan!

P2PDog
02-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't know if torrenting is headed for death, but I do think that it's in a very steep downward spiral. I used to believe that the traders/cheaters/sellers/collectors were the problem with BT, but in reality, they're just a symptom of a broken system that encourages and allows them to do those things.

BT is supposed to be about sharing files, and having a bit of fun socializing while doing it. A LOT of people seem to have forgotten that.

IdolEyes787
02-09-2010, 02:07 PM
apextwin146 I wish i was as cool as you...

^^ This post made my fucking day, thanks b3owulf...

In an attempt to meet senseless with sense..... if you don't like the board just stop using your account.
It's not like you're Nelson Mandela and making a political statement or anything.:unsure:

l33tpirata13
02-09-2010, 02:14 PM
No. BT takes a heavy toll on the ISPs infrastructures. Hence all the conversation about traffic shaping and download limits. And it doesn't stop growing.

here in the states, isp's have tried on many occasions to step up security to stop the "tapping" into their lines. Hasnt worked yet, im still here. Even in the areas newly implemented, security measures have been compromised within days.

A
02-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I use Rapidshare a lot.90%.Rest 10% I use 2 trackers What.CD and Animebyt.es.Sadly both need seedbox meh.Also if Karagara didnt have such a hard to seed system,I also would have used that too.Thinking of getting into Newsgroups since It makes much more sense than rapidshare.Giganews or Astraweb?Any suggestions?
Also the newly launched BTN looks promising.Ratio less trackers are always an attraction.hehe.

That doesn't mean I use that protocol too often. I was dumb enough to have rented seedboxes in the past and donated to sites who were not worthy. I spent my fair amount of time involved deep in that "bt economy".
I just took a breath and thought: what the fuck is this? Is this any worth? My time and my money? No.
+1

w00t another top Troll for FST,thizzkid :D.
hope you dont quote that :lol:

ca_aok
02-09-2010, 03:49 PM

here in the states, isp's have tried on many occasions to step up security to stop the "tapping" into their lines. Hasnt worked yet, im still here. Even in the areas newly implemented, security measures have been compromised within days.
Actually it worked fine, it was called "sandvine". Luckily that was declared unethical by the FCC and Comcast were forced to stop.

Tokeman
02-09-2010, 05:08 PM
BT will be around until all the countries agree to outlaw the sites, and webhosts just stop allowing them to exist. Even then, sites could still be put up under the guise of a mail site or any site with a member logon. BT will be around for many years to come, not much anyone can do about it in the short term.

Quarterquack
02-09-2010, 05:37 PM
This thread is the perfect example of what's wrong with the BT World.

1) Up from the top, thizzkid is 100% right in everything he said, I just don't understand why people think it's so cool nowadays to hate on a protocol that's been on the drawing boards before they were born. The problem is, bittorrent, according to recent statistics, could account for upto 55% of all INTERNET TRAFFIC. Just hating something based one side of it is ridiculous. All communities/protocols have their ups and their downs, and half the people that "prefer" a different protocol are yet to experience its negative side as well.

There's not that many efficient, fast and community based protocols out there. I've been file sharing for as long as I remember, but I also know enough law to never get into a court over it.

Topsites? It's just paying for leech spots, newsgroups are better, at least they don't record your IP. Newsgroups? Expensive crap. I mean, no offense, I understand some people's fascination with it, but if you're going to pay to file SHARE, you have the wrong picture. Go to the store and buy it. Learn how to take the DRM off yourself, or even contact the company to remove it for you and offer you a license. Not that hard, a lot of companies I've worked at have obtained DRM-Free licensing on media and even protection-less industry grade programs.

DC Hubs? mIRC-based groups? There's a reason those two are nearly obsolete. They're slow, they're bogged down, they're unreliable, and politics play a more precarious part than even the most power hungry torrent website admins. I can't even remember how many times I had to follow my favorite DC community around because we kept getting hacked/shut down.

Whether you like it or not, Bittorrent is the only reliable AND optionally free protocol out there. If you're a friendly person, a million ratio-free, laid back tracker staff will take you in anywhere you want.

2) The community. When ScT shut down, within thirty minutes of the 48 hour announcement there were hundreds of people on the IRC trading. Personally? I don't see anything wrong with trading. Except, when it's done with the intention of gaining something. That's unfortunately where the bad community comes in. What I know is that trading only kills trackers because it's an endless cycle. Accounts on BitMeTV for example are traded 3-4 times, and then the cycle keeps going on. None of the people use it, they just use it as a stepping stone. And that's the issue, the hierarchy is what's killing the protocol. I remember being called an idealist on BCG when I insulted someone by saying that because he doesn't seed back on public trackers, he's killing torrenting, and I meant every word of it. There's no point to being on torrents if all someone will do is leech, go back to DCHubs for that. People automatically assume that "lower level trackers" are disposable, and constantly strive to get into the higher levels. That is hurting the protocol, and the community as a whole.

3) The people who constantly want BT to die. I mean GOD, if you hate the damn thing so much, stop browsing dang forums related to it. This applies to nearly everyone in this thread. If BT accounts for less than 5% of your downloads, fine, but your forum activity should also resemble that figure. The people on private trackers that keep screaming "This tracker is going to die" then why the fuck are you even there? It's simple you're there because you think it's entertaining watching something strive to succeed.

I guess my main point is the community is killing BT. All the silly rules, all the ridiculous hierarchical systems in place, all the lamers that want it to die without understanding how much the world would end up losing on such a successful protocol.

FST is the bigger picture. FST is a proper representation. Many a times I meet someone absolutely polite and pleasant on a "high level tracker" and they end up explaining how influential they are on FST. This place does serve an ego of its own, and the beauty is, people here are unafraid of showing it off, because they're hidden behind a random pseudonym. As the old quote goes, "Give a man a mask, and he will tell you who he is." The same applies here at FST, hidden behind proxies, behind random aliases, everyone behaves as themselves, and shows off their true e-penis, this place shows exactly what's killing BT. It's the people that want it to die, it's the same people who are trading, it's the same people who don't understand what file SHARING is, and are in it for as long as the boat is sailing, but will bail out given the chance.

I realize I might have seemed hostile, but none of what I said is meant to be offensive.

antrax34130
02-09-2010, 05:47 PM
"Topsites? It's just paying for leech spots" False...

Quarterquack
02-09-2010, 05:58 PM
It is true. What other ways to get into topsites are there? Being part of a group and working your bum off, while risking your safety? Starting a network with donations to get it going and hope you're successful? Donating hardware that costs money? Being a source? Being a leak?

Please, everything has its merits and it's weak points, no system is perfect, neither is BT. But to WANT BT to die without realizing what it is is sheer stupidity.

By the way, if BT ever dies, kiss the best top-sites goodbye. They are after all funded by "top site" donations, most of the time.

antrax34130
02-09-2010, 06:00 PM
there are friend status (no need to pay) ....and you talk about crappy topsites not "true topsites"

if BT ever dies, kiss the best top-sites goodbye.
:lol::lol::lol:

Quarterquack
02-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Friend status is possibly the only reason topsites end up dying. Idiots leave their friends who are security risks on the topsites. Connections, members of groups that died, they all shouldn't be there. And yet they are, they get exposed because they don't hide themselves well, and the whole site topples over.

And Im talking about topsites with top affils, who do you think pays for the best topsites out there? Torrenting communities. For example when TV-Land died, everything came down to a halt. When Loop died, same thing happened. Actually, EVERYONE noticed it when Loop died. The season finale of Dexter wasn't anywhere for a good 4 hours, because not many other topsites had enough affils/racers to get it around as it does, normally.

EDIT: You actually think a topsite that has a 120TB repository is paid for and maintained by the affils on it? Nearly the whole scene is P2P affiliated, and if you're going to be a hypocrite and say I'm wrong, ask yourself what YOU are doing here.

A
02-10-2010, 06:39 AM
The problem is, bittorrent, according to recent statistics, could account for upto 55% of all INTERNET TRAFFIC
Yea right,in that about 5% is the real traffic,rest are buffers which no one use.Seriously does anyone use the SCC packs apart from making buffer?

Newsgroups? Expensive crap. I mean, no offense, I understand some people's fascination with it, but if you're going to pay to file SHARE,
Pay 11$ and get everything you want or pay 40$ for a decent seedbox for a month and keep all the private trackers alive which you use less than 10% of the actual buffer you make.
Also the old torrents which are dead.Newsgroups or Rapidshare has no such problem.
Have you ever bought a seedbox to buffer you accounts? Have you ever Donated to a site to immune yourself from inactivity,or for getting invites or for getting buffers?Then you are paying to leech.

soulreaper
02-10-2010, 09:42 AM
I think the more important question is that if BT does end,what protocol would replace it? But to answer the question ,I don't think it'll end unless ISPs all over the world clamp down on torrenting.

Eargasm
02-10-2010, 09:53 AM
I like all the specialty BT sites, back in the days of FTP and Newsgroups you couldn't depend on the quality and quantity of weird shit. Now it's abundant. Plus browsing various media is easier via BT sites... sometimes I just wanna find a new movie, that is +action +comedy from year 2010 that has more than 300 seeders, or something like that.

Quarterquack
02-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Yea right,in that about 5% is the real traffic,rest are buffers which no one use.Seriously does anyone use the SCC packs apart from making buffer?

Newsgroups? Expensive crap. I mean, no offense, I understand some people's fascination with it, but if you're going to pay to file SHARE,
Pay 11$ and get everything you want or pay 40$ for a decent seedbox for a month and keep all the private trackers alive which you use less than 10% of the actual buffer you make.
Also the old torrents which are dead.Newsgroups or Rapidshare has no such problem.
Have you ever bought a seedbox to buffer you accounts? Have you ever Donated to a site to immune yourself from inactivity,or for getting invites or for getting buffers?Then you are paying to leech.

Valid points, however allow me to disagree. Yes, I do use the SCC packs whether you believe me or not. I have the alias S01-S05 pack bookmarked, and I've been unable to find such a pack anywhere else. I'm waiting to download it once I free up some hard drive space. So to answer your questions, SCC's archive section is freeleech which means that besides building a buffer, it's a great repository for full seasons etc. For example, I don't waste my time watching seasons of shows, I wait for the show to end, then download the full season and watch it through on a fun weekend. I've known a lot of people that do the same. SCC is a great resource for that, and due to its pretimes it's also usually one of the first to have that kind of pack up, while other trackers are still trying to put up the last episode on the tracker first.

Let me reiterate about torrents. They are optionally free. No one really forces anyone to pay for torrenting. Not unless you're on some pseudo-topsite wannabe tracker. There are people out there who have never spent a dime on torrenting, and yet are ratio immune on even the highest quality/most difficult to seed trackers because they're VIPs, with nothing but community involvement to warrant their position.

I don't donate because I want invites, heck, I'm perfectly happy never inviting a single soul to any tracker. I donate because I enjoy my time on a tracker, and am appreciative of what they are doing/risking. Most of the time, I end up asking the tracker staff to strip me of any extra features that I get.

Now let me also explain why I feel my donations are due. Where else but on BitMe could I find a torrent that encompasses four years' worth of Law School notes? Where else but on HDBits could I find (when they start) the complete winter olympics capped in HDTV, for when I can't do it myself?

If you think "leeching" from the Scene is the only thing possible through trackers, then you will remain stuck on the fact that you're paying for it. Genuinely, some of the material found on private trackers is never found anywhere else, and I'm perfectly content feeling that I've "paid" in return for the favor of hosting the data.

soulreaper
02-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Let me reiterate about torrents. They are optionally free. No one really forces anyone to pay for torrenting. Not unless you're on some pseudo-topsite wannabe tracker. There are people out there who have never spent a dime on torrenting, and yet are ratio immune on even the highest quality/most difficult to seed trackers because they're VIPs, with nothing but community involvement to warrant their position.

If you think "leeching" from the Scene is the only thing possible through trackers, then you will remain stuck on the fact that you're paying for it. Genuinely, some of the material found on private trackers is never found anywhere else, and I'm perfectly content feeling that I've "paid" in return for the favor of hosting the data.

Completely echoed my thoughts there. Thx :)

Tokeman
02-10-2010, 03:36 PM

I've personally never paid for a seedbox, or donated to a tracker. Newsgroups also have retention, meaning after a period of time, guess what, no file, so the problem does exist on newsgroups. I dont even want to get into rapidshare and their limits. Torrents exist as long as there are seeders, and there are plenty of files over a year old at most my trackers, many still well seeded.

pnmgomes
02-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Last year we suddenly all received the news of large sites and important source of our information suddenly closed. Over the years, the fight against sharing/BT in world got stronger and more aggressive, so what does that mean? Are we approaching the end of an era Torrents? What do you think?

Yep ... everything including BT will end December 21st, 2012 :ghey:

SMB
02-11-2010, 02:19 AM
private sharing may just come back into the picture. simple file sharing solutions like zapr(www.zapr.com).. etc.

kostnkost
02-15-2010, 03:47 AM
I can't see newsgroups taking over as the next platform for downloads. I probably represent the average user out there. I do not know everything, but know enough to get by and download what I need. I believe this is why Napster did so well back in my days and is why Torrents do well as well. Ease of use.

I do not see torrenting ending so soon.

gamesover
02-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm not going to read this whole thread but i will say imo there's no way the end is near for torrenting. BT will just continue to evolve and move in interesting directions. I predict we will get at least one or two great new trackers this year. People say its too hard for new trackers to succeed. Yeah if they offer nothing new and the people running them have no idea what they are doing.

There are still a few cool niches left if the people building these new trackers know what they are doing and are creative enough to really think outside the box. If you think you've seen all the innovations trackers have to offer, just wait and sometime this year you may be shocked ;)

Rart
02-17-2010, 12:59 AM
I've personally never paid for a seedbox, or donated to a tracker. Newsgroups also have retention, meaning after a period of time, guess what, no file, so the problem does exist on newsgroups. I dont even want to get into rapidshare and their limits. Torrents exist as long as there are seeders, and there are plenty of files over a year old at most my trackers, many still well seeded.

Judging from threads like this:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-newsgroups-79/t-the-end-of-retention-limitations-390273

It's becoming clear that retention, at least for most of the major providers, is becoming more or less irrelevant when considering providers due to the fact that the potential storage available is growing faster than what's being uploaded to usenet.

Even if retention is a factor for your provider, within the 300-400 day span of retention a file is easily uploaded multiple times to usenet. I've yet to a see a file that I've searched for that has only been uploaded one time. Because of that, there are many older files available on usenet that due to being 2,3,4 or even more years old, would download at a crawl on BT sites due to the very small amount of seeders still remaining on the file, while you can download the file from your provider at your maximum connection speed. In that regard, I feel like BT's "retention" (if you can call it that) is actually worse than that of newsgroups.

Then again, one of the most obvious things BT has going for it, unless you're a seedbox whore paying an exorbitant fee to create a buffer, is the fact that it's free, meaning that other, more expensive methods of filesharing won't be overtaking it anytime soon.

Cabalo
02-17-2010, 02:51 AM
My post wasn't meant to create a war between NG and BT.
It's pretty clear to everybody that newsgroups are a superior form of filesharing than BT, for many reasons pointed out at this thread.
BT is no longer the community/protocol I knew. And I explained why, the economics behind it destroyed its original feeling.
I can tell you for example that the first tracker ever in my country was a spin off created by many people who were at a newsgroups related forum, and who decided to create a tracker just for fun, as a community. It became huge with time, and then came the economics I talked about. Conclusion: it closed.

If bt will die or not, I hope so, only if this means a new, easily reachable by the masses and superior protocol is meanwhile created. We all want evolution. Until then it will struggle with its problems, like all other protocols had in the past.

This is positive. Innovation is what makes the world go around.

gamesover
02-17-2010, 06:22 AM
If bt will die or not, I hope so, only if this means a new, easily reachable by the masses and superior protocol is meanwhile created. We all want evolution. Until then it will struggle with its problems, like all other protocols had in the past.

This is positive. Innovation is what makes the world go around.

But if BT died we would lose trackers like HDbits, musicvids, blackcats, KG, TT, BTmusic, DB9, and Norbits(dvdr's). Those are just some examples of specialty trackers that offer amazing content. Could you find most of their content on usenet?

And what about the forums at trackers like FSC, potuk, ftn, and E. If you look past the bad apples there are some tight knit communities to join in on. IDK if usenet offers the same sense of community. Maybe it does but i havent seen many usenet forums.

And what about the people who cant afford usenet, or arent even old enough to get a credit card to order it. i have met many people cant even afford rapidshare and thats only like 10 bucks a month.

Its good to have options. As an example, I like to use some trackers for some things. For other things, I use rapidshare or megaupload or emule. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, and if i lost one of them there would be a big void.

Lovestoned
02-17-2010, 10:14 AM
But if BT died we would lose trackers like HDbits, musicvids, blackcats, KG, TT, BTmusic, DB9, and Norbits(dvdr's). Those are just some examples of specialty trackers that offer amazing content. Could you find most of their content on usenet?

And what about the forums at trackers like FSC, potuk, ftn, and E. If you look past the bad apples there are some tight knit communities to join in on. IDK if usenet offers the same sense of community. Maybe it does but i havent seen many usenet forums.

And what about the people who cant afford usenet, or arent even old enough to get a credit card to order it. i have met many people cant even afford rapidshare and thats only like 10 bucks a month.

Its good to have options. As an example, I like to use some trackers for some things. For other things, I use rapidshare or megaupload or emule. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, and if i lost one of them there would be a big void.

Those groups exclusively releasing their releases on HDBits (IDK if they're still doing that, it's been months) would be bringing their content to the masses through other viable ways. If I'm not wrong, musicvids/TT also has mostly scene content too. Most people at Pedro's also usually upload music from the 20th century only.

Those "tightly-knit" communities that you speak of would be faux if they couldn't gather everybody to an IRC chan or something.

I can tell you in one look that 2 of the trackers you consider them to be "tightly-knit" has actually less than a handful of new posts everyday in their general chat threads.

pretend
02-17-2010, 11:06 AM
If I'm not wrong, musicvids/TT also has mostly scene content too.
True for TT, but MV have mostly non-scene content. I guess MV is one of very few trackers that can't be replaced, or would need too much time to get even close to it.

Lovestoned
02-18-2010, 01:51 PM
If I'm not wrong, musicvids/TT also has mostly scene content too.
True for TT, but MV have mostly non-scene content. I guess MV is one of very few trackers that can't be replaced, or would need too much time to get even close to it.

Really? But could you kindly take a look at whether people are snatching the scene content more or the non-scene? I can tell you most of them are just there for the e-penis, seeing that not many are actually interested in music videos.

pretend
02-18-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm not going to advocate other members needs, I'm downloading non-scene. VOB selection is much bigger than scene there.
My point is, MV torrent quantity and exclusivity is too hard to substitute, I thought it's pretty clear :ermm:

Quarterquack
02-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Pretend is correct. I made a similar cry earlier on in this thread. Some torrent trackers offer material unavailable everywhere else. HDBits and Bitme come into mind from my experience, and clearly MV fits the quota.

Asking for torrenting to end is asking for a SOURCE not a simple distribution service to end.

TLwhore
02-19-2010, 12:51 PM
In my opinion its the likes of new groups and rapidshare that are not just killing BT in general but the whole pirate commuinty. Why the anti-pirates groups aint going after these sites is beyond me. These are the true pay to leech sites, not BT trackers. I havent been to any BT site that has forced me to pay for something, yeah sure you get some that send you a PM about a donation every 5 mins but you dont have to donate. True I do donate to some sites, not just money but time and also my high bandwidth to help keeps torrents running at full speed.
Long live the private trackers I say. There are some great sites out there with great communities, hell there is some sites I have never even downloaded from but still go there just for the great fun that goes on.

simon22
02-19-2010, 01:21 PM
By far, torrenting is the easiest and perhaps best way to share files. BT will survive until something better comes along. There is no talk of trackers to just go away and disappear. You can see new trackers opening up very often and some last for a long time. The other problem is that NG has the worst reputation for illegal content such as child abuse etc.. There is also more competition in the BT community which keeps the whole thing alive.

sez
02-19-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't think torrenting is anywhere near the end.I can barely count 3 sites that have gone down as a result of some anti-P2P agency in recent time.

The faces are definitely going to change but BT shall/will<---artemis?:unsure: always be here.You know some people have been doing this for the longest time and just need that final excuse to call it a day.The demise of FTWR and fort knox was that excuse for some of those who had been through it all and only did it for the community and largely considered most of the other sites ridiculous or run by tards.

So its not BT dying,its just people being replaced.Am sure stoi loves BCG but at one point or the other,things will get old and he'll either play it the feeling way or pass it on to somebody else.

Its good some columbia geek invented SIP.That,newsgroup and one click hosts just make the transition easier...I feel.

robbee
02-20-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't think torrenting will ever end in the near future. While public trackers got a big blow in 2009, private trackers have never been bigger. More and more private trackers are popping up every day.

superjojo
02-20-2010, 04:34 PM
I think that torrenting won't end in the near future.
But nevertheless I agree with others that if this era would end,
then something better will come along.

anon
02-20-2010, 05:13 PM
More and more private trackers are popping up every day.

Not all of them stay up for long, unfortunately.

nobody2100
02-20-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't think torrenting will ever end in the near future. While public trackers got a big blow in 2009, private trackers have never been bigger. More and more private trackers are popping up every day.
I totally agree... I also noticed a trend towards private trackers after the big public ones got hit. This somehow excludes the majority of ppl though... So i'm not sure if this is a good development for the Filesharing community. Of course it's a great thing once you are in one of those private trackers and everyone is seeding and you get the most insane DL speeds but I find some too exclusive and hard to get in. When I read more and more about ppl selling invites to private trackers it just makes me sad.
I found Winny, Share and PerfectDark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_Dark_%28P2P%29) some very interesting concepts for Filesharing and hope it catches on also outside of Japan/Asia.

pretend
02-20-2010, 06:58 PM
I found Winny, Share and PerfectDark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_Dark_%28P2P%29) some very interesting concepts for Filesharing and hope it catches on also outside of Japan/Asia.

Using them seems to me beyond the regular filesharing experience, I couldn't even get them up and running. Maybe I'm stupid :pinch:

Anyway BT is by far one of the most advanced and prolific p2p technologies. Don't misjudge it by recent popularity decrease, it caused by authorities pressure in first place and has nothing to do with its design. Maybe it's gonna be surpassed by more advanced technology, but first someone should invent it :happy: I don't see it coming too soon.

nobody2100
02-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Using them seems to me beyond the regular filesharing experience, I couldn't even get them up and running. Maybe I'm stupid :pinch:

Getting PerfectDark to work used to be a pain in the ass. Especially if you wanted English menus. The newest version supports English natively though. So it's as simple as: Extract -> make settings in the wizard -> add some nodes and you're done ;D
I very much like the idea of anonymous file sharing. Pure leeching is impossible as you have to host at least 40GB in a unity folder and have a minimum upload speed set to 100KB/s.

anon
02-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Pure leeching is impossible as you have to host at least 40GB in a unity folder and have a minimum upload speed set to 100KB/s.

Nothing is unbeatable...

I have read the 100kB/s minimum makes sense in Japan, which is where Perfect Dark comes from, since they have high-speed connections there.