PDA

View Full Version : Google Launches 'Twitter Killer' for Gmail

Rart
02-12-2010, 12:30 AM
http://media.bestofmicro.com/google,H-K-219656-1.gifGoogle Launches 'Twitter Killer' for Gmail
February 10, 2010

" Google has made a huge splash with the launch of a new social networking tool for Gmail, Google Buzz.

Not to be confused with Yahoo! Buzz, Google Buzz is a tool much like Twitter that allows you to share links, pictures and videos with all your Gtalk contacts. Positioned inside your Gmail account (if you have it, it will be listed among 'inbox,' 'outbox,' 'sent mail,' etc.), Buzz is essentially Google's attempt to take on Twitter and to a smaller extent, Facebook. It automatically sets you up to follow only the people you email and chat to frequently, but it also gives you the option to post your updates on private or public.

There's also the ability to connect to other sites you use, like Picasa, Flickr, Twitter and your RSS feed.

Automatically pulling images from links you post, it does seem to be a bit more fleshed out than Twitter, however, there doesn't seem to be a character limit, which could make things very cluttered after a while. Another thing that could make everything a little crowded is the fact that it sends notification of any feedback to your mail. Likes, comments and all the rest appear in your inbox.

Similar to Twitter's "retweet" function, Buzz will sometimes show you updates from people you're not following because a mutual friend has reposted that update. Say my brother recommends a post from someone in his office (we'll call him John Doe); this post will show up as an update from John Doe and clicking the 'Recommended' hyperlink will show you why it's appearing in my stream.

Check out the video below for more. If you're already playing around with it, let us know what you think.

yi50KlsCBio "

:source: Source: Google Launches 'Twitter Killer' for Gmail (http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Google-Buzz-Twitter-Social-Networking,news-5787.html):view: Homepage: Tom's Guide (http://www.tomsguide.com)

SMB
02-12-2010, 04:48 AM
It's opening up doors for business and for the older crowd that probably wouldn't be caught dead using twitter.

I think file sharing functions may be brewing. Like what twitter has available with their file share functions.

anonymous0711
02-12-2010, 08:30 AM
google is the wal mart of the internet lol the bigger it gets the farther it pushes into the areas that other sites(or in wal marts case stores) are doing and with its recognizable name eventually it will take over

Darth Sushi
02-12-2010, 08:36 AM
The term 'Twitter Killer' sounds too much like 'iPhone Killer.' I doubt the current incarnation is a killer anything yet.

iLOVENZB
02-12-2010, 12:29 PM
The term 'Twitter Killer' sounds too much like 'iPhone Killer.' I doubt the current incarnation is a killer anything yet.

Google can pwn Twitter I can assure you :lol:

HonorGuard
02-15-2010, 06:01 AM

Google can pwn Twitter I can assure you :lol:

I sense much truth in this

ritusingh
02-16-2010, 07:29 AM
hi ............... this tool is very use full for gmail user ,they can share their links by just one click.