PDA

View Full Version : problem downloading .torrents

ktown
02-12-2010, 05:45 AM
this whole year ive been downloading torrents through my college dorms internet connection but recently ive been having a lot of problems with downloading torrents. If i can get a .torrent file, it works just fine when i open it with Transmission but the problem is actually downloading the .torrent file. I think the university put up some sort of block. any advise to get around that?

m477h3w
02-12-2010, 06:06 AM
maybe a proxy? or instead of just clicking on the torrent link try right-clicking it and save-as so that you have a choice. might work for you

Tv Controls you
02-12-2010, 06:07 AM
What does it say when you attempt to download a file, or does it just refuse to make any progress downloading?

Some Options you have if torrenting is blocked:
1) Remote desktop a machine at your home connection and download whatever you want and ftp it over to your machine at college.
2) Purchase a seedbox (can be a cheap one for around $15) and download what ever your looking for, then ftp it to your machine at college.
3) Purchase your own personal internet for your dorm room. (I would suggest this anyway as the college admin's have access to what ever you look at on the internet)
4) Most anonymous option...Remote vpn with your own internet connection running to your dorm.

If your looking to spend absolutely no money, and don't plan on hosting a machine on your home internet connection... I would advise alternative file-sharing methods.

Rapidshare, megaupload, and hotfile sharing sites. (such as www.warez-bb.org)

*To use any rapidshare site you will most likely end up wanting to buy a premium rapidshare account costing around 6.99 euros. (but by all means not mandatory)

cinephilia
02-12-2010, 09:39 AM
just save it as a .txt

anon
02-12-2010, 04:59 PM
maybe a proxy?

Trackers tend not to like proxies.

If you're able to save the .torrent as a .txt file or download it over SSL, do that.

Tv Controls you
02-12-2010, 05:58 PM
just save it as a .txt

I miss read his post, I thought he was having problems actually downloading the file, which is when the college isn't messing around lol.

Demonoid would be a good option for you. Its a private tracker (well sort of) and lets you download either .txt or .torrent.

Although I would still recomend buying your own internet connection as the college can monitor what you do, which is BS

anon
02-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Demonoid would be a good option for you. Its a private tracker (well sort of) and lets you download either .txt or .torrent.

TorrentBytes lets you download .torrents over SSL, which should also bypass the block. And I think most if not all Gazelle trackers let you get them as text files, too.

TraLaLa
02-12-2010, 06:32 PM
ask a friend not from college to give you the torrent :P
what cinephilia said should work

anon
02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
ask a friend not from college to give you the torrent :P

Using your own account of course, which can lead to problems if your friend also has an account on the site.

anonymous0711
02-12-2010, 07:02 PM
honestly man downloading from a college dorm is just a generally bad. I know at my school if they catch you they just strip you of

your internet priviledges and wont let you access their network the first time you are caught. I also have a friend in another school

who is actually the head of the dept in charge of catching people doing stuff like that and they have a similar process.

In other words most schools check for this stuff and can get you in major trouble for doing it so i'd suggest stopping until you get

out of the dorm. Honestly can you think of a better way to get caught pirating than doing it on a network that is constantly

monitored (if its an accredited university) by an entity funded with the states money. Are you trying to get caught or did you just

not think it through very well?

ca_aok
02-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Easily accomplished by either using the save torrents as text/zip files (available on several sites), or by using SSL, which is also available on several sites.

If you download a torrent as a text file, be sure to rename it to .torrent. If you download it as a zip file, simply extract the .torrent file :)

TraLaLa
02-12-2010, 08:51 PM
you dont have to rename the txt file,you can use the "Add Torrent " option and select the txt file

anon
02-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Depends on the client. Most should recognize it's a .torrent file regardless of the extension, yes. But you won't be able to find it in the "Add torrent" dialog unless you look for "*.txt".

Tv Controls you
02-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Depends on the client. Most should recognize it's a .torrent file regardless of the extension, yes. But you won't be able to find it in the "Add torrent" dialog unless you look for "*.txt".

Just click all files at the bottom of the browse menu, instead of .torrent files.

anon
02-12-2010, 09:23 PM
That can work as well unless you download .torrents to "My Documents" and the folder has 17000+ files, as it's my case. :lol:

Tv Controls you
02-12-2010, 09:29 PM
That can work as well unless you download .torrents to "My Documents" and the folder has 17000+ files, as it's my case. :lol:

lol you have to get some organization going on :01:

anon
02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
lol you have to get some organization going on :01:

I use the "details" view and sort them by modification date if that counts. :unsure:

I remember I had a separate folder where all downloads would go, but after doing a random Windows reinstall four years ago and finishing to set Opera up, I resumed downloading the rest of the apps I needed. Having forgotten to change the download directory, it defaulted to "My Documents". I saved the file and said "I'll change it later".

Have yet to do it. :lol:

anonymous0711
02-13-2010, 01:00 AM
haha way to go... its ok im sure the rest of us would have done the same! laziness is just so much easier than attempting to be productive

ktown
02-15-2010, 01:15 AM
saving as a .txt worked perfect, thanks XD

anonymous0711
02-15-2010, 09:41 AM
dude id still suggest not downloading too much on your schools network. Idk what school you go to and dont want to ask because we obviously arent friends and im not a creeper but as i said before most schools monitor their network very closely
If you are going to do it id suggest doing it later at night when the IT depts are closed and so they cant actually actively catch you doing it(i.e. catch you red handed)
either way GL bro and congrats on figuring out the fix to your problem

anon
02-15-2010, 05:15 PM
anonymous0711 is right. Some schools are relaxed about this, but others are much stricter. And even if the "IT depts are closed", they could have an automatic system watching who's eating loads of bandwidth, which is basically what happens while torrenting, and cut you off. Never think you're smarter than the guys administrating the network.

I'm glad my school doesn't care about P2P. :lol:

anonymous0711
02-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah i've got a good friend whose job other than telling people what to do is catching people doing stuff like this. I didnt get the basic ideas cuz i didnt care to look that far into it but the basic idea was dont do it because when you are on the schools network they can see anything and everything you have and/or will do while on that network
O well at least you arent dumb enough to have like limewire or kazaa up and running while on the school network lol
Anyways best of luck man and happy hunting(or in this case pirating)

puckface
02-16-2010, 04:23 AM
You're only viable alternative on a college campus (take it from me) is a vpn. $20/month aint gonna kill you, but getting caught doing dumb shit will cost you way more than that.

beansis
02-16-2010, 04:58 AM
You're only viable alternative on a college campus (take it from me) is a vpn. $20/month aint gonna kill you, but getting caught doing dumb shit will cost you way more than that.

You could also probably find a cheaper vpn, or prescribe to usenet. I've personally developed quite the addiction . . .:drool:

anon
02-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Even if he uses a VPN, the IT guys can notice the sudden great amount of bandwidth being used by a single computer.

jimmyg123
02-17-2010, 12:03 AM
yea, I think you should put a hold on your sites until you get back from dorm life they control alot.