PDA

View Full Version : The New Improvements of uTorrent 2.0 (Final)

ceo54
02-12-2010, 06:47 PM
The dev team at utorrent.com has proclaimed the release of a new final uTorrent 2.0 version. It is the first stable (non-RC, non-beta) release from the time of uTorrent v2.0 development which began again in August. The most popular BitTorrent client in the world has suffered some important changes; including UDP tracker support & auto-uTP, transfer cap settings, an enhanced setup guide, new shiny skin and bandwidth management.

http://i50.tinypic.com/do5eg5.png

“Setup Guide” is improved now
If you know good the uTorrent’s Speed Guide (uTorrent > Preferences > Speed Guide), of 2.0 version, now it’s called the "Setup Guide". It has been reconstructed for being much easier for users and it includes a built-in speed test as well. More prime installations were made and it mechanically scales settings for high-upload connections, in addition to keeping automatic port mapping by default

http://i47.tinypic.com/kchrf7.png

uTP/UDP Settings are available
Earlier RC and beta uTorrent 2.0 versions have this set on by default, however for the previous final v1.8.5 users would need to manually available uTP/UDP tracker support., Both incoming & outgoing (TCP/uTP) connections in uTorrent 2.0 are now available. By these means the bt.transp_disposition value is automatically put to the most favorable "15". More information about values of these protocols may be seen at this link.

http://i45.tinypic.com/xm9002.png

Transfer Cap Settings
Now there is a new "Transfer Cap" tab in uTorrent 2.0. This uTorrent’s forums extract says about it, "the settings of transfer cap were attached for various customers who have ISP-mandated caps on how much data they can upload /download per month. At the present time you are able to track the usage in MB and organize µTorrent to stop torrenting if the limit is exceeded. At this time, you can arrange the data cap, the time interval and whether it should stop based just on upload, download, or both."

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ahcspt.png

As well the new trait "Enable Bandwidth Management" is included as found in Preferences > BitTorrent. If you desire to view the Transfer Cap as a graph, you just should click the Speed tab in the main interface of uTorrent and choose "Transfer Cap" from the dropdown menu:
http://i48.tinypic.com/3322fes.png

Tv Controls you
02-12-2010, 06:58 PM
That transfer cap could be extremely useful for all other fellow comcast users.

I'm going to cap my torrent machine at 200gb a month so they don't shut down my service lol.
I usually just keep track by keeping rough estimates. I have been doing most of my seeding off my seedbox recently anyway though...

Cabalo
02-12-2010, 07:03 PM
DUmeter is da shit, to keep control of your traffic.

DeffNZ
02-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Still using 1.6.1 lol

KevinGarnet
02-12-2010, 08:13 PM
looking good.. is it be better than older version we'll see. I think adding more options is better for people who know something in IT but for those who not mhm i really don't know.

anon
02-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I think adding more options is better for people who know something in IT but for those who not mhm i really don't know.

Just read the help file or keep your hands off them :lol:

ExtraDry
02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
UT2 has to many flaws for for private trackers,great for public types
UTP seems to favor seed to it own and other clients are lucky to connect to it.This for the fairness of sharing and keeping a ratio on a private site will cause issues.Isp will love this client as it will be able to traffic bandwidth if need in high end isp loads.
Big thumbs down for me

anon
02-12-2010, 08:26 PM
UTP seems to favor seed to it own and other clients are lucky to connect to it.This for the fairness of sharing and keeping a ratio on a private site will cause issues.

Someone quoted a BitMeTV announcement stating the same in my board - care to show some evidence of that?

HMthePM
02-12-2010, 08:52 PM
DUmeter is da shit, to keep control of your traffic.

True. Worked for me for years.

ExtraDry
02-12-2010, 08:54 PM
UTP seems to favor seed to it own and other clients are lucky to connect to it.This for the fairness of sharing and keeping a ratio on a private site will cause issues.

Someone quoted a BitMeTV announcement stating the same in my board - care to show some evidence of that?

Come on anon-sbi this could be good for you, instead of utorrent add on's(won't be need) going to be a great need to other client add on's to boast their share rate.Sure you are firon haven't teamed up :lol:

anon
02-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Come on anon-sbi this could be good for you

And I have found no evidence of uTP (which has been there since uTorrent 1.8) giving faster peers priority myself, that's why I'm asking.

Rart
02-12-2010, 09:28 PM
The least you could do is cite the source when you copy and paste something :dry:

Source:

http://extratorrent.com/article/245/the+new+improvements+of+utorrent+2+final.html

Also, One thing I was curious of:

I remember reading this article here: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-news-section-95/t-utorrent-20-to-elimininate-the-need-for-isp-throttling-375275/page2 , and in many places UT 2.0 was very poorly received for the many connotations that there would be heavy throttling to accommodate this new fangled "uTP" feature. However, it seems like that has mostly subdued now. Did they change something or alter their plan from what was originally said in that article? I haven't upgraded yet for this reason.

anon
02-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Also, One thing I was curious of:

I remember reading this article here: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-news-section-95/t-utorrent-20-to-elimininate-the-need-for-isp-throttling-375275/page2 , and in many places UT 2.0 was very poorly received for the many connotations that there would be heavy throttling to accommodate this new fangled "uTP" feature. However, it seems like that has mostly subdued now.

TCP traffic is easy to inspect and throttle accordingly because due to its "safe" nature, shaping devices can clearly see when a connection is initiated, the handshake, and "take it from there".

UDP, in turn, is unreliable - you simply start throwing data to the remote host and hope he'll receive it correctly, because there's no error control at the protocol level. (Although it works fine in practice, actually) ISPs can't throttle uTP without also affecting all other UDP network traffic (VoIP, online gaming, etc.). Nobody will want to pay for a provider that won't even let you talk or play games.

Rart
02-13-2010, 02:37 AM
I'm not exactly sure if you understood my post, but I meant throttling from utorrent's side, not the ISP's.

Here was a quote from the article that made many others (and me) wary of this new version:

With uTP, uTorrent (and the Mainline client) will become network aware by throttling itself if congestion in the network is detected. This will have a huge impact on ISP networks according to Simon Morris, BitTorrent’s VP of Product Management. “If uTP is successful it should result in a multi-billion dollar windfall in terms of savings for ISPs,” Morris told TorrentFreak

This means that the new uTorrent will eliminate the need for ISPs to throttle BitTorrent traffic in their networks. Of course, uTorrent users will also be affected by the new protocol. When needed, uTorrent will decrease the upload or download speed to avoid congestion.

According to Morris it’s mainly the upload speed that will be affected. “The throttling that matters most is actually not so much the download but rather the upload – as bandwidth is normally much lower UP than DOWN, the up-link will almost always get congested before the down-link does,” he explained.

Have these issues been addressed in someway that decreased the uproar over 2.0? I don't really see anyone complaining about this anymore.

And as a side note, Morris mentions that it's "only the upload" that will be affected. If the upload is throttled, doesn't that ultimately lead to slower download speeds as well?

ceo54
02-13-2010, 06:02 AM
The least you could do is cite the source when you copy and paste something :dry:

Source:

http://extratorrent.com/article/245/the+new+improvements+of+utorrent+2+final.html

Well Said
i am too stuck at 1.8.1 like many others i wanted to know what u people think abt this before considering An Update

kurdt
02-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Come on anon-sbi this could be good for you

And I have found no evidence of uTP (which has been there since uTorrent 1.8) giving faster peers priority myself, that's why I'm asking.

"uTP has been improved significantly since 1.8.5, with many bugs fixed and performance improvements."

source: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=65482

so it may be a much different UTP than what has been there sine UT 1.8.

iLOVENZB
02-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Too bad heaps of trackers haven't added this client to their white list. IPT, AL and I think TV just to name a few.

anon
02-13-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm not exactly sure if you understood my post, but I meant throttling from utorrent's side, not the ISP's.

... I don't really see anyone complaining about this anymore.

Oh, I see. I did misunderstand you, then. But what you're mentioning about uTorrent is actually a good thing - torrenting traffic will automatically adjust its speeds depending on what the rest of your programs are doing. Meaning you can max out your upload without making surfing lag, for example, even if you haven't limited your upload speed. And when you aren't doing anything else with your PC, the client will know this and maximize uploading.

To give a rough example, say you're seeding a full speed without uTP and want to check your e-mail or browse this forum. They should load very slowly, because your connection works like a "pipe" - lots of upload going one way prevents your download from coming fast. In this case you'd reduce your upload speed limit as you send your mail or read the new threads, and put it back how it was before when you're done. uTP does exactly the same thing, just transparently.

And as a side note, Morris mentions that it's "only the upload" that will be affected. If the upload is throttled, doesn't that ultimately lead to slower download speeds as well?

Maybe so, but the impact shouldn't be noticeable unless you have a very slow upload speed or another application is claiming most of it - and I think you should stop your torrents if you're going to use your upload for something else in the first place.

"uTP has been improved significantly since 1.8.5, with many bugs fixed and performance improvements."

source: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=65482

so it may be a much different UTP than what has been there sine UT 1.8.

You have a point there, but looking at the changelog it's mostly bugfixes and performance improvements. Until someone shows actual proof the new uTP favors high-speed peers, I won't believe it.

ca_aok
02-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Personally I'll stick with 1.8.2 in case some of the rumoured issues are fixed and until it's whitelisted everywhere. There are very few reasons to keep a client as stable as uTorrent up to date when you're simply adding more bugs to the mix.

2jonathan
02-13-2010, 05:33 PM
thanks for the news. Time to update the client then=)

kukushka
02-13-2010, 10:17 PM
oh, smth's been posted here :)

anon
02-13-2010, 10:22 PM
It looks like the development team of uTorrent has implemented a new feature into the 2.0 client that is considered "unethical" by us, as well as many other BT sites. This feature causes uT 2.0 to prefer uT 2.0 over any other client out there

"It looks"? Meaning they aren't even sure what they're saying is true? :huh:

pro267
02-13-2010, 11:43 PM
"It looks" is a figure of speech. Obviously they're sure, otherwise there wouldn't be any discussions with the uT dev team.

anon
02-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Obviously they're sure, otherwise there wouldn't be any discussions with the uT dev team.

Maybe they only suspect v2.0's favoritism behavior exists and are checking it with the uTorrent development team. :unsure:

Personally, I seriously doubt the new version is giving preference to others of its same kind.

AdrianPhoto
02-14-2010, 01:00 AM
I've personally tested uTorrent 2.0, and since 1.8 I've been interested in uTP, and version after version, build after build I see no change in the performance regarding/concerning private trackers in terms of ratio stuff.
I guess I'm gonna stand with anon-sbi on this

ggsir
02-14-2010, 02:04 AM
uTorrent is pretty awesome. have been using this since i started using PT

pro267
02-14-2010, 08:04 AM
God help us with all those uT fanboys.

I wonder whether they would still be such fanboys if they knew about uT history, specifically the callback function the uT dev team has added to uT a couple of years ago (after they were bought by a company associated with the MPAA), causing the client to secretly report all your torrent activity to them, then seeing how the uT dev team reps denied it until the (same) BT community forced them to admit it.

lysine
02-14-2010, 09:41 AM
causing the client to secretly report all your torrent activity to them, then seeing how the uT dev team reps denied it until the (same) BT community forced them to admit it.

lol, please give us a link where that happened. exactly, you're just making up stuff and spreading FUD now...

ExtraDry
02-14-2010, 10:28 AM
causing the client to secretly report all your torrent activity to them, then seeing how the uT dev team reps denied it until the (same) BT community forced them to admit it.

lol, please give us a link where that happened. exactly, you're just making up stuff and spreading FUD now...

That was the case but the mpaa contract is over pretty sure it was a one year deal could be wrong

http://libcom.org/forums/news/utorrent-bought-mpaa

http://gigaom.com/2006/12/12/utorrent-users-upset-over-bittorrent-deal/

Plenty of articles about it

Far as reporting stuff back to mpaa that was not true tests were taken out no leaking data

What was true was utorrent scare tactic's to get everyone to update from there 1.6 and 1.6.1 builds to 1.7.7 and 1.8.* builds, by telling us that there was a exploit in those builds was not true.

IdolEyes787
02-14-2010, 01:08 PM
aha.

"Announcement: Using uTorrent 2.0+ This is a preliminary warning to all our members, who are currently using, or are thinking about switching to uTorrent 2.0 or later. It looks like the development team of uTorrent has implemented a new feature into the 2.0 client that is considered "unethical" by us, as well as many other BT sites. This feature causes uT 2.0 to prefer uT 2.0 over any other client out there, giving users of that client what is considered to be an unfair advantage in seeding. A somewhat similar behavior by another client, BitComet, in the past, had resulted in that client being banned from pretty much every private site in existence.

Communication between representatives of the BT community and the uTorrent development team is undergoing, however at this stage the problem was not resolved yet. As a result, multiple private sites have already banned this client, and many others are likely to follow in the very near future. We are one of the sites who are seriously considering banning usage of this client.

With this announcement, we would like to both inform our members about this possible outcome, encourage those who haven't upgraded yet to refrain from doing so for now, and strongly recommend to those who have already upgraded to downgrade to earlier versions...."

announcement at some tracker
Trackers are going to start discriminating because some people have an unfair advantage in seeding over others. Good one.

Rart
02-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Trackers are going to start discriminating because some people have an unfair advantage in seeding over others. Good one.

Well obviously this isn't something you can pay an exorbitant monthly fee to get out of... :unsure:

AdrianPhoto
02-14-2010, 03:01 PM
I like uTorrent for many things, call me fanboy or whatever

causing the client to secretly report all your torrent activity to themWould you be please tell me the Version and the Build so I can test it..
Now let's see who's gonna run..

Edit: Btw, the deal was announced "December 7, 2006", so that would be between 1.5 - 1.7

anon
02-14-2010, 04:33 PM
I wonder whether they would still be such fanboys if they knew about uT history, specifically the callback function the uT dev team has added to uT a couple of years ago (after they were bought by a company associated with the MPAA), causing the client to secretly report all your torrent activity to them

It's easy to remove them (or at least most of them) by unpacking the executable and using a hex-editor. so I'm still using it :P

ExtraDry
02-14-2010, 08:49 PM
I like uTorrent for many things, call me fanboy or whatever

causing the client to secretly report all your torrent activity to themWould you be please tell me the Version and the Build so I can test it..
Now let's see who's gonna run..

Edit: Btw, the deal was announced "December 7, 2006", so that would be between 1.5 - 1.7

1.7.7 was the first release that the mpaa venture with utorrent was built and didn't phone home any packets.Nor did the 1.8.# builds.

This still was a very dark time in utorrent history,
with many peeps opting for other clients.It was a pity such clients as Halite didn't step up as utorrent would have lost a lot more peeps.

anon-sbi proof of the new ut2 build favoring its own will come to light when uppers when you see ut2 being the upper(only seeder) on a box it will give to other ut2 clients others clients will find it hard to connect to the seeder and other ut2 peers.
Not sure how to give you your proof, but get someone to connect on a linux box rtorrent or transmission under those conditions and see how you go.

anon
02-14-2010, 08:54 PM
This still was a very dark time in utorrent history,
with many peeps opting for other clients.It was a pity such clients as Halite didn't step up as utorrent would have lost a lot more peeps.

Agreed. Halite is the great, fast and lightweight client no one seems to use. :wacko:

anon-sbi proof of the new ut2 build favoring its own will come to light when uppers when you see ut2 being the upper(only seeder) on a box it will give to other ut2 clients others clients will find it hard to connect to the seeder and other ut2 peers.
Not sure how to give you your proof, but get someone to connect on a linux box rtorrent or transmission under those conditions and see how you go.

If you have access to a seedbox running uT 2.0 I guess you could send me an screenshot of a peerlist when uTorrent favors others of its kind. Of course, to be 100% sure I'd need to check it out myself, and I don't have a box :P

pro267
02-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Here are just a couple of points for you:

* uTorrent was purchased by bittorrent.com, a site affiliated with the MPAA. Google it to check for yourself.
* Try installing uT 1.7, enable DHT, and wireshark for bittorrent.com IPs (I suggest: 67.215.242.138-9, 38.114.167.69, 208.72.193.198) to see what's the bootstrap entry point for their mainline DHT tracker implementation.

The above means BitTorrrent.com (read: MPAA) has access to your torrents' info hash, i.e. pretty much a 1:1 correlation between IPs and downloaded torrent files.

Tokeman
02-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Too bad DHT is not allowed on private tracker torrents, so its a non issue for most of us. If your using public trackers and DHT then they can already see everything you do anyway, so who cares.

anoneemuse
02-15-2010, 04:26 PM
sweet , just look at that upload speed

mines a bit slower

anon
02-15-2010, 05:06 PM
* Try installing uT 1.7, enable DHT, and wireshark for bittorrent.com IPs (I suggest: 67.215.242.138-9, 38.114.167.69, 208.72.193.198) to see what's the bootstrap entry point for their mainline DHT tracker implementation.

router.utorrent.com and router.bittorrent.com? Those servers deliver some DHT nodes for you to bootstrap after installing. If concerned, just block those IPs and ask a friend for his dht.dat file.

AdrianPhoto
02-15-2010, 05:08 PM
to see what's the bootstrap entry point for their mainline DHT tracker implementation.
If you don't know how DHT works, then please.. for the love of every god men ever believed in.. Don't write just to sound like you know.

let's look at this:

1- Private tracker, you're safe! DHT disabled
2- Public tracker, your IP & Info hash for files you're downloading are distributed anyway, on any version of uTorrent or any other BitTorrent client.

I suggest reading this
http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentDraftDHTProtocol

anon
02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Actually, he's right... uTorrent contacts that host after installation to get some peers and bootstrap the DHT.

Cabalo
02-15-2010, 05:39 PM
All this uT crap started back at 1.6.1
I also faced it as a scare tactic to force upgrades to the newer versions.
As I read on the webz, there was a lot of coliding views on those same nasty rumours, so I couldn't be arsed and moved on to Vuze until today.

It is heavy, but it easily has more features than any other client I know of.
Utorrent 2.0 isn't seducing me yet, so let's wait until the dust settles to make a valid opinion.

anon
02-15-2010, 05:42 PM
As I read on the webz, there was a lot of coliding views on those same nasty rumours, so I couldn't be arsed and moved on to Vuze until today.

It is heavy, but it easily has more features than any other client I know of.

Took the easy exit, huh :lol:

But I agree. Vuze is a great, very tweakable client. And while it's not a feather like uTorrent when it comes to resource usage, you won't feel it's there with enough RAM and a decent processor.

pro267
02-15-2010, 06:49 PM
to see what's the bootstrap entry point for their mainline DHT tracker implementation.If you don't know how DHT works, then please.. for the love of every god men ever believed in.. Don't write just to sound like you know.
:glagpinch:

let's look at this:

1- Private tracker, you're safe! DHT disabled
2- Public tracker, your IP & Info hash for files you're downloading are distributed anyway, on any version of uTorrent or any other BitTorrent client.

I suggest reading this
http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentDraftDHTProtocol
First, let me answer the claims:

1. No, you're not safe in a private tracker; that's another misconception of people who have no idea what they're talking about. Now, if you would've actually known what you were talking about, you would know that DHT is a client-side protocol that has nothing to do with the tracker being private or not.

The only thing private sites can do is turn on the private flag in torrent files and count on the clients to respect that by turning off DHT, peer exchange and local peer discovery. Once they do, it's totally up to the client to respect (or not) that flag. In fact, the uT version I've specified above did NOT respect the private flag and multicasted info hashes to organization-local addresses. By the way, another client (BitComet) was banned from various private sites for disregarding the privacy bit.

2. While info is available for harvesting on public trackers, it is not fed with a spoon to the MPAA.

Oh, and since you were nice enough to comment on my knowledge of the subject, may I suggest that in the future, you actually try to read that DHT draft before posting mindless spam..

router.utorrent.com and router.bittorrent.com? Those servers deliver some DHT nodes for you to bootstrap after installing. If concerned, just block those IPs and ask a friend for his dht.dat file.
That's one possible solution for people who know about this issue. Most people are not aware of it.

AdrianPhoto
02-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Yummy!! I'm gonna have fun with this!

you would know that DHT is a client-side protocol that has nothing to do with the tracker being private or not.
I couldn't help not to forward that to my friends, oh that quote is gonna make to history books, be happy!

Can you please describe in what scenario/design/schema you'd separate DHT nods to be servers or clients? I really want to hear more about that, you know, to consider DHT as "client-side" protocol.
Please read this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client-side
""Client-side refers to operations that are performed by the client in a client-server relationship in a computer network""

While info is available for harvesting on public trackers, it is not fed with a spoon to the MPAA.
Do you have anything to back those claims?

if concerned, just block those IPs and ask a friend for his dht.dat file.
+1

pro267
02-15-2010, 10:54 PM
I really want to hear more about that, you know, to consider DHT as "client-side" protocol.
Please read this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client-side
""Client-side refers to operations that are performed by the client in a client-server relationship in a computer network"
:facepalm:

That's the best you could do? Try to semantically dispute the usage of the term client-side? And even if you did, what exactly does that quote prove, lmfao, that the action is performed by the clients themselves without involving the server/tracker side? (which is exactly what I said)

You've posted nothing about the facts themselves. Typical.

While info is available for harvesting on public trackers, it is not fed with a spoon to the MPAA.Do you have anything to back those claims?
Learn to read first, then return to the thread above. You'll get all the answers you need.

Why do I even bother anymore.. :dabs:

anon
02-15-2010, 11:59 PM
AdrianPhoto, pro267 is right regarding DHT being a client-side protocol in the sense the tracker as we know it isn't involved. :) (Technically, every DHT node is a tracker, but that's outside the scope of this discussion)

Regarding the MPAA call-homes, you can find info in the first pages of this thread, or by doing a simple Google search.

kurdt
02-16-2010, 09:26 AM
It's easy to remove them (or at least most of them) by unpacking the executable and using a hex-editor. so I'm still using it :P

i'm using uT 1.8.5. Can you (or anyone) give me specific instructions how to make these tweaks (or provide a link where i can learn about this), please.

Here's what i don't understand:

1) I know how to use a hex editor. What are the specific things that need to be removed from the exe?

2)
a)What are the IP ranges for router.utorrent.com and router.bittorrent.com?
b)If I knew them, can I just plug them into a custom peerblock list?

3)
a)What's the purpose of the dht.dat file? and
b)why do you need to get one from a friend?

4) Do you have to do both of these methods, or would one suffice?

thanks

anon
02-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Using a hex-editor is easy. It's like Notepad, but deeper. You can find a good one here:
http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
Note the official uTorrent EXEs are compressed with UPX, so you'll need to download the "uncompressed" builds or unpack them yourself using UPX or QUnpack before you can edit them.

Here's what i don't understand:

1) I know how to use a hex editor. What are the specific things that need to be removed from the exe?

I remove the following things in my mods:

http://www.utorrent.com/report_problem.php
http://update.utorrent.com/checkupdate.php
http://update.utorrent.com/updatestats.php
llsw.download3.utorrent.com
ll.download3.utorrent.com
http://update.utorrent.com/installstats.php
http://download.utorrent.com/offers/tb_ask-1.5.1.0.exe
http://%s/offers/tb_ask-1.5.1.0.exe
http://download.yandex.ru/yandex-pack/utorrent/YandexPackSetup.exe
http://download.yandex.ru/yandex-pack/utorrent/YandexPackSetup-utorrent-20090724.exe
http://search.utorrent.com/search.php?q=%U&e=%U&u=1

You can replace the IPs with 000.000.000.000, and simply fill the rest with null bytes.

2)

a. both use the same IPs: 67.215.242.138, 67.215.242.139
b. yes, you can add them to your PeerBlock blocklist and they should no longer be contacted.

3)

a. the dht.dat file contains the addresses of other peers uTorrent will connect to to form part of the DHT after start-up.
b. the "router.*.com" hosts give you some peers to get you started when you've just installed uTorrent. If you're a bit paranoid, you'll block them, but then you'll be unable to bootstrap (connect) until you get your hands on a dht.dat file - so I recommend asking a friend for his. If your DHT is already working, there's nothing to worry about.

If you're paranoid, you should do both :lol: Personally, I only block the call-homes and don't touch the "router.*.com" addresses. But then again my country is outside the MPAA's reach for the time being.

AdrianPhoto
02-16-2010, 10:45 PM
I apologize to pro267 for my nonsense behavior.

ExtraDry
02-17-2010, 03:37 AM
I can see this going three ways,
1). Some Sites will ban UT2 and allow and encourage earlier models of Utorrent to 1.6
2).Others more likely the bigger sites will allow UT2 and put pressure on other clients to update to UTP or risk banning their clients.
3).Others will allow,who gives a fook allow everything we not here to shape BT future we are here for the cash ;)

Could be a number 4--if we had a coder we'd have a allowed list

Time will tell.

kurdt
02-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Using a hex-editor is easy. It's like Notepad, but deeper. You can find a good one here:
http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
Note the official uTorrent EXEs are compressed with UPX, so you'll need to download the "uncompressed" builds or unpack them yourself using UPX or QUnpack before you can edit them.

I remove the following things in my mods:

http://www.utorrent.com/report_problem.php
http://update.utorrent.com/checkupdate.php
http://update.utorrent.com/updatestats.php
llsw.download3.utorrent.com
ll.download3.utorrent.com
http://update.utorrent.com/installstats.php
http://download.utorrent.com/offers/tb_ask-1.5.1.0.exe
http://%s/offers/tb_ask-1.5.1.0.exe
http://download.yandex.ru/yandex-pack/utorrent/YandexPackSetup.exe
http://download.yandex.ru/yandex-pack/utorrent/YandexPackSetup-utorrent-20090724.exe
http://search.utorrent.com/search.php?q=%U&e=%U&u=1

You can replace the IPs with 000.000.000.000, and simply fill the rest with null bytes.

2)

a. both use the same IPs: 67.215.242.138, 67.215.242.139
b. yes, you can add them to your PeerBlock blocklist and they should no longer be contacted.

3)

a. the dht.dat file contains the addresses of other peers uTorrent will connect to to form part of the DHT after start-up.
b. the "router.*.com" hosts give you some peers to get you started when you've just installed uTorrent. If you're a bit paranoid, you'll block them, but then you'll be unable to bootstrap (connect) until you get your hands on a dht.dat file - so I recommend asking a friend for his. If your DHT is already working, there's nothing to worry about.

If you're paranoid, you should do both :lol: Personally, I only block the call-homes and don't touch the "router.*.com" addresses. But then again my country is outside the MPAA's reach for the time being.

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to post all that info. will editing the exe cause any problems with privates sites that have specific allowed clients? i.e., would it look like a cheater mod to them or an unallowed version?

also, if you only use private sites do you still need that file to initialize the DHT?

cap87
02-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Just out of curiosity, does the latest version work properly with wine (webui included)?

anon
02-17-2010, 05:04 PM
2).Others more likely the bigger sites will allow UT2 and put pressure on other clients to update to UTP or risk banning their clients.

Just to give some info, there are plans for the uTP specification to go open. If that ever happens, every client could potentially support it. What would tracker admins do then, ban all new client versions?

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to post all that info. will editing the exe cause any problems with privates sites that have specific allowed clients? i.e., would it look like a cheater mod to them or an unallowed version?

Changing the things I mentioned (and only those) shouldn't affect the way uTorrent reports itself or your stats to the tracker. Now, if you change anything else other than what I posted, do it at your own risk.

also, if you only use private sites do you still need that file to initialize the DHT?

If you use private sites only, you have no need for DHT. Just disable it.

ExtraDry
02-18-2010, 07:17 AM

wcd and waffles banning Deluge and azureus/vuze, two big players staring the cull.

anon
02-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Under the excuse those clients are used to cheat. A Deluge cheating mod doesn't even exist, and since the Vuze one can spoof most other allowed clients, this won't really stop cheating. :huh:

Ratul
02-18-2010, 04:55 PM
dose the utorrent version 2.0 support video streaming.

anon
02-18-2010, 04:57 PM
If "dose" means "does" and that was a question - I think not, but 2.1 definitely does.

Ratul
02-18-2010, 05:05 PM
^^^^ it was "does" :)