PDA

View Full Version : Itunes

GLiO
10-19-2003, 05:10 AM
A few days ago Apple released their Windows version of iTunes. If you don't know what iTunes is, it's a music download program that lets you search for songs and arists, sample the music at CD quality, then buy and download the songs for $.99 each.

I took it upon myself to try it out.

I have been a steady Kazaa user ever since Napster died. I've downloaded hundreds of songs (not at a time, mind you) from Kazaa and burned tons of CDs.

So I download the iTunes software (free from itunes.com) and installed without problems. The first thing I noticed is that it didn't try to install any adware or Internet Explorer favorites. This is always nice. Once the program opened I see the Mac style interface we all know and love/hate.

You have to register a username and password which takes all of a minute. Credit card information is also needed so you can purchase songs.

I wanted to find a song by Eve 6 and I couldn't remeber the name or any lyrics, but thankfully iTunes let's you stream a CD quality 30 second sample, and it's almost instant. Finding the song was easy with this feature. A great relief from Kazaa; where if you don't know the name of song, your stuck downloading a bunch of random songs, some of which may have bad quality or never start.

iTunes only has one version of a song, unless it has explicit lyrics, then they also offer a clean version of the song (another nice feature). And you don't have to worry about the songs having fuzz, clicks, low quality or any of those other annoying things that are common in Kazaa audio files.

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to search for a song and find it, and not have to worry about how many sources or bandwidth it has and which filename is the one you want. I love it.

The only things that bugged me was it is a little slow loading different sections of the program (music store, music library etc). The other is that the files don't have an .mp3 extension and you can't open them in anything but iTunes or Quicktime (which I hear is changing soon).

At $.99 a song, its very affordable. This is great because now you never have to buy an entire CD (for those who still buy CDs) for just a few songs. Once you have the songs, you can freely burn them to a CD, or if you have an iPod, load them on there.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I got a great satisfaction out of knowing that I own the files, fully and legally.

There are so many more features in iTunes like radio and importing your current music library into iTunes, but I don't have time to go into them.

So overall I give iTunes an 8 out of 10. I just thought I'd give everyone an idea of what to expect in the future and what not.

Feel free to post your feedback here.

TheFilePirater
10-19-2003, 05:17 AM
well, i dont trust those sites, b/c why would i waste money on downloading songs, when i could easly get em for free....

2 more things

sounds like spam
sounds like a agent from itunes spamming...

Ariel_001
10-19-2003, 05:25 AM
Can i play those songs in my MP3 player because cause if I have to get "Special" hardwere or softwere to play the songs then it is useless to me. I don`t like proprietary formats. It a pain in the ass especial if you use alternative os

GLiO
10-19-2003, 05:26 AM
You don't trust Apple? One the the largest pioneering companies in the Personal Computing world?

How is it spam? I haven't spammed it anywhere. I've posted it once here.
And you figured me out, I'm a secret agent from iTunes (the company is called Apple, not iTunes, iTunes is a product of Apple).

I pretty sure "agents" from Apple wouldn't spend their time posting in filesharing forums.

To Ariel
I just read a news post on Cnet that said Apple will most likely be making changes allowing you to send it to your MP3 player, and not just an iPod. They also mentioned maybe making the files MP3. The only reason they are using a proprietary format is because they don't want people buying them from iTunes and then going off and sharing them on Kazaa.

Ariel_001
10-19-2003, 05:29 AM
well can they be converted to MP3 format or is it aready MP3 format?

GLiO
10-19-2003, 05:30 AM
They are in a custom .m4p (yes m4p) file format, created for iTunes, that is a protected file format.

Ariel_001
10-19-2003, 05:34 AM
what about burning to CD (AUDIO). Can this be done?

j4y3m
10-19-2003, 05:34 AM
Sounds Like A Good Program But I Have Some Questions!

1.Do You Have To Have A Credit Card Or Do They Accept Swith/Solo
2.Is It An American Only Thing?
3.Have You Scanned Your System For Ad-Ware/Spy-Ware Since Installation?

Ariel_001
10-19-2003, 05:46 AM
I like "playing" around with songs (in an editor) and making mix CDS that i buy and that why i wanted to know if it is not some proprietary format. It`s really too bad that it is the a proprietary format cause i would buy some of the songs there. oh well.... :P

Ariel_001
10-19-2003, 05:53 AM
iTunes only has one version of a song, unless it has explicit lyrics, then they also offer a clean version of the song (another nice feature). And you don't have to worry about the songs having fuzz, clicks, low quality or any of those other annoying things that are common in Kazaa audio files.

there are guides here on finding hi quality mp3`s. search for them and try searching for mp3`s higher them 128 bit rate

imnotanaddict
10-19-2003, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 05:10
A few days ago Apple released their Windows version of iTunes. If you don't know what iTunes is, it's a music download program that lets you search for songs and arists, sample the music at CD quality, then buy and download the songs for $.99 each.

I took it upon myself to try it out.

I have been a steady Kazaa user ever since Napster died. I've downloaded hundreds of songs (not at a time, mind you) from Kazaa and burned tons of CDs.

So I download the iTunes software (free from itunes.com) and installed without problems. The first thing I noticed is that it didn't try to install any adware or Internet Explorer favorites. This is always nice. Once the program opened I see the Mac style interface we all know and love/hate.

You have to register a username and password which takes all of a minute. Credit card information is also needed so you can purchase songs.

I wanted to find a song by Eve 6 and I couldn't remeber the name or any lyrics, but thankfully iTunes let's you stream a CD quality 30 second sample, and it's almost instant. Finding the song was easy with this feature. A great relief from Kazaa; where if you don't know the name of song, your stuck downloading a bunch of random songs, some of which may have bad quality or never start.

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to search for a song and find it, and not have to worry about how many sources or bandwidth it has and which filename is the one you want. I love it.

The only things that bugged me was it is a little slow loading different sections of the program (music store, music library etc). The other is that the files don't have an .mp3 extension and you can't open them in anything but iTunes or Quicktime (which I hear is changing soon).

At $.99 a song, its very affordable. This is great because now you never have to buy an entire CD (for those who still buy CDs) for just a few songs. Once you have the songs, you can freely burn them to a CD, or if you have an iPod, load them on there.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I got a great satisfaction out of knowing that I own the files, fully and legally.

There are so many more features in iTunes like radio and importing your current music library into iTunes, but I don't have time to go into them.

So overall I give iTunes an 8 out of 10. I just thought I'd give everyone an idea of what to expect in the future and what not.

Feel free to post your feedback here.

Oh cool that means you can share them without reprocusions then right? I mean
if you own them fully and legally you can do with them what you like.

.99 a song isnt that close to in many instances the same as cd price? Although granted I see the advantage if you only like 1 o 2 songs on a cd. .99 a song could get expensive if you want an extensive library.

DasScoot
10-19-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by imnotanaddict@19 October 2003 - 06:16

Oh cool that means you can share them without reprocusions then right? I mean
if you own them fully and legally you can do with them what you like.

.99 a song isnt that close to in many instances the same as cd price? Although granted I see the advantage if you only like 1 o 2 songs on a cd. .99 a song could get expensive if you want an extensive library.
You own a copy of the song, you do not own the rights to redistribute them.

Personnally, I&#39;ll buy into this when 2 things happen: they release them in normal mp3 form, and when I have money to spend. <_<

ScotchGuy
10-19-2003, 06:35 AM
It seems nice, but I would never use it.

I&#39;ve never downloaded a fake off of Kazaa, it&#39;s amazing how far common sense will take you. I have found a few songs that were of terrible quality (3 out of 450). Just check the quality before the download and you should be fine.

What turns me off the most about this is that it&#39;s song format is only supported for iPod. That&#39;s just plain stupid, why would I spend &#036;450 for all of my songs and then only be able to listen to them in my nonexistent iPod. Apple&#39;s got quite a deal going for them. Spend a &#036;.99 a song and then spend &#036;300 dollars for the only thing that plays that format.

I&#39;ve spent a total of &#036;0 to listen to 450 songs. Or with Apple I could spend &#036;750, which is the better deal? I think I&#39;ll take my chances with the RIAA.

mogadishu
10-19-2003, 08:12 AM
this is the most pointless program ever created. you hardly save any money.. and u cant have them in mp3.. and u dont get the cd. whats the point. id rather spend 15 on a cd, than 12 on a bunch of mp3s. ... but 15 is too expensive so i just use soulseek.

kenny g
10-19-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 14:10

I don&#39;t know about anyone else here, but I got a great satisfaction out of knowing that I own the files, fully and legally.

I don&#39;t know about anyone else here, but I get a great sense of satisafaction out of knowing that I have obtained the files completely free without paying money to any recording industry scum and therefore knowing that I
have money to spend on other things .

Yes, you may well not be working for apple directly but you certainly stink of a marketeer in action mate. Sorry if I am wrong , like .

Xanex
10-19-2003, 01:35 PM
What I would like to know is what they class as "CD Quality"

if its any less than 192kbps then they can got hell

they can goto hell anyway =)

doubt i can use it im in the UK tho at the rate of 99c a track thats loads cheaper than over here if you convert the currency.

on a side note, kinda amases me and puzzles at the same time that the largest stock exchange in the world, the &#036; is worth less than the £ currently 1.62&#036; to the 1£, any clues on this?

Xan

(fish) (bait) (fire)

kenny g
10-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Xanex@19 October 2003 - 22:35

on a side note, kinda amases me and puzzles at the same time that the largest stock exchange in the world, the &#036; is worth less than the £ currently 1.62&#036; to the 1£, any clues on this?

well , Japan has the world&#39;s second biggest economy and you get 186 yen for your squidney . It is only numbers at the end of the day . It only relates to how they started off . I mean you get 2.2 lbs in a Kilo but it doesn&#39;t mean that things are heavier in metric countries.

echidna
10-19-2003, 02:07 PM
I&#39;m really disappointed to read that apple has made these changes to itunes for windows. On Mac OS itunes keeps files as mp3 or as wav and the primary function of itunes was as a cd ripper and music collection management rather than as a file search/acquisition system.
itunes also burned great audio and mp3 cds

i will probably give it a try because it is so great on mac but as i said i&#39;m disappointed that apple has seen fit to retard itunes like this. what a pisser.
when i first met it itunes was the best cd ripper i&#39;d ever used, it made all of the windows rippers seem like annoying toys, alas.

a couple of clarifying questions...

is it still a good ripper? does it still burn good compilations? do current versions of itunes for mac OS use the proprietary m4p format? is the proprietary format only for songs downloaded from apple or are ripped tracks saved like this too?

cosmic doobie
10-19-2003, 02:08 PM
The corporates are killing music.
iTunes can suck my plums &#33;
99 cents a track - still too expensive&#33;

It&#39;s zero cents on Kazaa Lite :P

Xanex
10-19-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by kenny g+19 October 2003 - 15:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kenny g @ 19 October 2003 - 15:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Xanex@19 October 2003 - 22:35

well , Japan has the world&#39;s second biggest economy and you get 186 yen for your squidney . It is only numbers at the end of the day . It only relates to how they started off . I mean you get 2.2 lbs in a Kilo but it doesn&#39;t mean that things are heavier in metric countries. [/b][/quote]
i mean in the sense a CD is still worth a CD when you boil down to it (not literally).

so if you equate 99c to 1 track thats about 14-16 tracks on a good cd, roughly 15&#036; for a CD, you where as its about £13 for a good cd here (good cd = chart and antichart stuff)

and since its about 1.62&#036; to the £ work it out.

SO all in all, is a CD still worth a CD? go figure. i guess they should just have prices like that fixed or somethin, some cd&#39;s i can get on import cheaper than if i where to buy them here.

oh well just a thought

Xanex
10-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by echidna@19 October 2003 - 15:07
I&#39;m really disappointed to read that apple has made these changes to itunes for windows. On Mac OS itunes keeps files as mp3 or as wav and the primary function of itunes was as a cd ripper and music collection management rather than as a file search/acquisition system.
itunes also burned great audio and mp3 cds

i will probably give it a try because it is so great on mac but as i said i&#39;m disappointed that apple has seen fit to retard itunes like this. what a pisser.
when i first met it itunes was the best cd ripper i&#39;d ever used, it made all of the windows rippers seem like annoying toys, alas.

a couple of clarifying questions...

is it still a good ripper? does it still burn good compilations? do current versions of itunes for mac OS use the proprietary m4p format? is the proprietary format only for songs downloaded from apple or are ripped tracks saved like this too?
since wma and other windows file stuff now have drm to them thus intelligent files i dont think they could do the same to an mp3 file so they make a new m4p file with the phone home stuff to it, sux dont it, its a question of not being able to change the parameters of an existing file system since mp3 was designed to work on as many systems as possible.

m4p bah

echidna
10-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by cosmic doobie@20 October 2003 - 00:08
The corporates are killing music.
iTunes can suck my plums &#33;
99 cents a track - still too expensive&#33;

It&#39;s zero cents on Kazaa Lite :P
but itunes is primarily a ripping and encoding app, not a file sharing platform.
being able to buy music with itunes is an after thought.

i think the point has been missed :: can anyone say if it&#39;s still a good ripper?

cosmic doobie
10-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by echidna@19 October 2003 - 14:27
but itunes is primarily a ripping and encoding app, not a file sharing platform.
being able to buy music with itunes is an after thought.

:unsure:

thanks echidana (zappa ?)
i didn&#39;t realise, I must research more &#33;

kenny g
10-19-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Xanex+19 October 2003 - 23:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Xanex @ 19 October 2003 - 23:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by kenny g@19 October 2003 - 15:05
<!--QuoteBegin-Xanex@19 October 2003 - 22:35

well , Japan has the world&#39;s second biggest economy and you get 186 yen for your squidney . It is only numbers at the end of the day . It only relates to how they started off . I mean you get 2.2 lbs in a Kilo but it doesn&#39;t mean that things are heavier in metric countries.
i mean in the sense a CD is still worth a CD when you boil down to it (not literally).

so if you equate 99c to 1 track thats about 14-16 tracks on a good cd, roughly 15&#036; for a CD, you where as its about £13 for a good cd here (good cd = chart and antichart stuff)

and since its about 1.62&#036; to the £ work it out.

SO all in all, is a CD still worth a CD? go figure. i guess they should just have prices like that fixed or somethin, some cd&#39;s i can get on import cheaper than if i where to buy them here.

oh well just a thought [/b][/quote]
The price of something is related to how much profit someone can screw out of their workers rather then the real value of the item. Loads of things are cheaper in the US then in europe . Thats why so many of them are such fat tubs of lard , you can buy a 1 kg of baskin robbins for about 3 dollars whereas it would cost at least twice as much over in the Uk. Petrol costs them jack so they drive massive SUVs etc etc. They are living at the centre of the US world empire after all so they feel they deserve the fruits of their world domination. Anyways, I am sure as hell noy going to give a penny towards any of their recording or movie industry if I can help it . I have already given up smoking bcause I don&#39;t want to pay money to Scum US companys.

GLiO
10-19-2003, 04:46 PM
&#036;.99 isn&#39;t really that much.
Yes if you do the math, audio CDs hold about 12-16 songs and that would make it about &#036;15 a CD, but on iTunes they give you the option to buy and download the entire CD for only &#036;9.99

I agree that it sucks that the songs are not in mp3 format, but as I said, I heard thats changing soon.

And no, you can&#39;t buy the song and share it, that&#39;s still illegal. If you think &#036;.99 is too much, it&#39;s time to stop mooching off your parents and get a job.

After 128kbps it&#39;s very hard to tell the difference, but the songs from iTunes are at 192kbps.

Kenny, I don&#39;t sound like a marketeer, I sound like a reviewer. If you&#39;ve ever read a magazine or newspaper, your should know what that is.

I&#39;m well aware of how to find high quality songs on Kazaa, I know all about the filters and what to look for. But even if you do find the right quality and high bandwidth, it might not start, and if it does, it usually isn&#39;t downloading at the speed I want it to. With iTunes, a song download takes about 10 seconds.

Echidna
It does burn audio CDs. So far I haven&#39;t seen a CD Ripper, but I haven&#39;t put in an audio CD yet to see. I would think they would give you the choice of putting them in mp3 format. iTunes has only been out for a few days on Windows, so most likely in later versions, new features will come around.
They didn&#39;t just delete the old iTunes and make it purely music buying, you&#39;ll feel at home.

cosmic doobie

the corporates are killing musicYes...your downloading music from music artists for free, making them get less money to make more music in the future....and the corporates are killing music. makes perfect sense.

ScotchGuy
10-19-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 08:46
&#036;.99 isn&#39;t really that much.

FALSE: It just doesn&#39;t seem like that much when you&#39;re looking at is &#036;.99 for a single song. I have 450 MP3&#39;s, there&#39;s no way in hell I would spend &#036;450 for them. That&#39;s just insanity.

sharedholder
10-19-2003, 08:59 PM
This is a filesharing forum Kazaa Lite is a free filesharing program,so why should i pay for a song? <_<

N£MO
10-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by sharedholder@19 October 2003 - 20:59
This is a filesharing forum Kazaa Lite is a free filesharing program,so why should i pay for a song? <_<
Agreed.

Some people just &#39;aint got a clue. :rolleyes:

Switeck
10-19-2003, 09:08 PM
Percent-wise AND absolute dollar-wise, artists get less money from these itunes than they would from CD sales.

I&#39;ve read artists get about &#036;0.09 per itunes download.

GLiO
10-19-2003, 09:46 PM
Switeck, &#036;.09 per song is a whole lot better than &#036;0.00 per song.

ScotchGuy, what if filesharing hadn&#39;t come around, you would&#39;ve spent more than that to get those 450 songs.

sharedholder, why should people make songs? Why don&#39;t they stop? They aren&#39;t making any money from it thanks to you, so why don&#39;t they just stop.

Hell why don&#39;t we wipe out music completely because obviously no one can open their heads to the cold hard fact that they are robbing artists blind. If you like them so much why don&#39;t you support them?

Ok, not everyone in the world downloads music for free, so the artist is still going to make money. But what if everyone starts thinking in that mindset, then what is the artist going to do? Stop making music because they can&#39;t afford their instruments, the recording booth, their agent, and everything else needed to make a song and a CD.

I&#39;m not here to start a giant I&#39;m right your wrong war, I just thought I&#39;d let everyone know about iTunes and what I thought about it.

RoMoFo
10-19-2003, 10:01 PM
The songs you download are in AAC format. You can play them in any audio player which supports AAC, you just need the right codec. I doubt any other portable mp3 players will be able to play them though since Apple paid Dolby big money for the license to it.

AAC files have copy protection so you can&#39;t put them up on Kazaa or burn them to a CD, then rip it into mp3.

The cool thing about AAC is quality. A 128kb song sounds exactly the same as a 192kb mp3 file. So you can save alot of memory if you start to encode in AAC.

I haven&#39;t bought a song yet since iTunes only has major label bands, I am loving it as a jukebox though with the smart playlists.

I can&#39;t see myself paying &#036;.99 a song, but if I&#39;m looking for an album that&#39;s hard to find in the stores (or internet)...and it&#39;s available for &#036;9.99, I&#39;ll buy it from Apple in a second. It doesn&#39;t look like that situation has presented itself yet though...

ScotchGuy
10-20-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 13:46
ScotchGuy, what if filesharing hadn&#39;t come around, you would&#39;ve spent more than that to get those 450 songs.

No I wouldn&#39;t have, if filesharing hadn&#39;t come around then I&#39;d probably have 10 CD&#39;s now, at the most. Most of which would probably be from friends or relatives. I never spent my own money on a CD, ever.

That&#39;s besides the point anyway. The point is filesharing DID come around, so there&#39;s no need to spend &#036;.99 for a song when you can just as well get it for free.

sharedholder
10-20-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 21:46

sharedholder, why should people make songs? Why don&#39;t they stop? They aren&#39;t making any money from it thanks to you, so why don&#39;t they just stop.

Hell why don&#39;t we wipe out music completely because obviously no one can open their heads to the cold hard fact that they are robbing artists blind. If you like them so much why don&#39;t you support them?

Ok, not everyone in the world downloads music for free, so the artist is still going to make money. But what if everyone starts thinking in that mindset, then what is the artist going to do? Stop making music because they can&#39;t afford their instruments, the recording booth, their agent, and everything else needed to make a song and a CD.

I&#39;m not here to start a giant I&#39;m right your wrong war, I just thought I&#39;d let everyone know about iTunes and what I thought about it.
The real artists and when i talking about real artists i&#39;m not talking about Britney or Cristina are making music for passion,pleasure and competition spirit not for money.I don&#39;t even imagine that Wagner, Bach, Bethoween, Mozart,worked for making money.

GLiO
10-20-2003, 01:09 AM
sharedholder, go start making millions of dollars a year, then come tell me that again.

When Wagner, Bach, Bethoween, Mozart lived, there was no way to listen to their music unless you went to a concert of theirs.

Nowadays, once an artist hits the big time, they just say "its about the music, not the money". even if that is true, on the side, its still about the money.

Scotch, another thing is, it&#39;s illegal. And if you think "pffff the RIAA will never find me". They easily can. I have seen Comcasts rooms full of servers dedicated to one thing; find people using file sharing programs. And they aren&#39;t the only ISP doing it.

ScotchGuy
10-20-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 17:09
Scotch, another thing is, it&#39;s illegal. And if you think "pffff the RIAA will never find me". They easily can. I have seen Comcasts rooms full of servers dedicated to one thing; find people using file sharing programs. And they aren&#39;t the only ISP doing it.
Trust me, they have bigger fish to fry. I don&#39;t even use Kazaa Lite anymore, I stopped using it 3 months ago. It stopped working and instead of fixing the error I started using alternatives.

GLiO
10-20-2003, 02:10 AM
I started using alternativesThat doesn&#39;t make it any better.

ScotchGuy
10-20-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 18:10

I started using alternativesThat doesn&#39;t make it any better.
Or does it? :o

It&#39;s better for me, since they have yet to go after those programs.

Switeck
10-20-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 16:46
So you&#39;re saying that in the record label&#39;s switch over to lower-cost distribution methods it&#39;s "OK" for them to screw over the artists so the labels can get an even bigger cut, but we&#39;re guilty as hell when we do free advertising?

Consider too how much artists have to PAY for radio airtime...

echidna
10-20-2003, 02:58 PM
does anyone know if the windoze version is a good ripped for encoding CDs as the mac version was? :: :blink:

Sparkle1984
10-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Glio, why are you here? From all your messages in this topic it seems like you hate K-Lite.

Why on earth would anyone want to use ITunes when we can get anything we want here for free???

cappella(m)
10-20-2003, 09:38 PM
ok ok I&#39;ve heard enough here.. This is really a FILESHARING forum..
To all of the comments I read:

1st - when I would get a job I sure wouldn&#39;t spend this money for some crappy music tracks
2nd - Who really cares if an artist gets millions more or million less ?
And at all... why paying for something when it&#39;s available for free ?? legal or illegal..who bothers.... ? I already pay enough for my internet connection, for my dsl flat.. It&#39;s really not CHEAP.. So now I also have to pay the RIAA or someone esle..NO THANKS.....
like a statement on p2pnet.net "KEEP THE INTERNET FREE"
An artist is just a one person..why should we all care about one person who already has a lot of millions and gets a few millions less ? Isn&#39;t it better if millions of people get it better and save their money which they need for other more nessessary thing than buying cds ????? And yeah..this also..the artist gets just crappy 0,09 cents of this 99 cents..
PEOPLE PAY ENOUGH FOR THE INTERNET...SO KEEP THE REST FREE &#33;&#33;&#33;
We&#39;re here to fight for our digital freedom and not to support the riaa by bying there music on the net or somewhere else.. &#33;&#33;
And I never gonna buy a cd again as I heard that they sued a 12 year old girl...This assholes should burn in hell. ...... :P :P :P :P :P

GLiO
10-20-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by echidna@20 October 2003 - 15:58
does anyone know if the windoze version is a good ripped for encoding CDs as the mac version was? :: :blink:
I ripped some audio CD tracks just fine. Its pretty fast too.

echidna
10-21-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by GLiO+21 October 2003 - 09:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GLiO &#064; 21 October 2003 - 09:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-echidna@20 October 2003 - 15:58
does anyone know if the windoze version is a good ripped for encoding CDs as the mac version was? ::&nbsp; :blink:
I ripped some audio CD tracks just fine. Its pretty fast too.[/b][/quote]
can it save the ripped tracks as mp3? or wav?
[on the mac version you can check two check-boxes in the preferences and upon inserting a cd itunes queries the internet for the track titles and the rips and encodes the disk to the hard-drive and ejects it when it&#39;s done. All while playing the cd without missing a beat [seamless shift from the cd to the encoded files when the cd ejects] :: i thought it was pretty cool

PS :: i completely agree with the notion that paying steve jobs 99¢ per song is a mugs game.

i just rekon that if it is as good a cd ripper and music librarian on windows as it is on mac then you might want to use it in its ripping capacity

DarkReality
10-21-2003, 08:34 AM
GLiO is right. Stealing outright is wrong. If everyone were to download, fewer artists will make music. The record companies will create more cookie-cutter auditioned acts like Britney Spears, N*SYNC, Backstreet Boys, Christina Aquilera, etc., and sign less rock bands. They pay their contracted artists a lot less than they do a band they had to discover. And that&#39;s what they&#39;ll continue to do if filesharing keeps cutting into their profits.

I am also against what the RIAA is doing. They are making billions on music sales. So they lost a few hundred million dollars. We&#39;ve all lost something since 9/11, but you don&#39;t see me suing my ex-employer for laying me off because they were afraid terrorists would blow the place up. (Big tech firms around here laid off several thousand employees in a fear that one of the big firms might get hit... I think Agilent was the most concerned...) The RIAA is trying to blame their losses as a result from the depression we&#39;re all suffering from, on a bunch of kids who want to listen to music. And there should be nothing wrong with listening to music. It&#39;s selling burned CDs that is hurting their business. If you don&#39;t make money on what you&#39;re downloading, what&#39;s the problem? You&#39;re not taking any money from RIAA. You&#39;re just not spending on them, what you did last year. And they&#39;re proving that that constitutes theft, and it&#39;s wrong.

I got iTunes for one thing. QuickTime 6.4. If you try to download the new QuickTime 6.4 by itself, you&#39;re given iTunes. I really don&#39;t care for jukebox software. I have my music arranged how I want it, and Winamp does the job fine for me.

Queball79
10-21-2003, 08:06 PM
Hey personally I LOVE iTunes for windows. I downloaded it and it works like a charm. I didnt register a username or password because i dont plan on buying any music with it. Although it is a perfect source if you want to see top songs and listen to the first 30 seconds of any song, then go right on over to kazaa or bittorrent and download that puppy for free&#33;

itunes does take a couple seconds longer to open up though if you have quit a few songs in there...but i think its way better then Windows Media Player.

sharedholder
10-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Queball79@21 October 2003 - 20:06
Hey personally I LOVE iTunes for windows. I downloaded it and it works like a charm. I didnt register a username or password because i dont plan on buying any music with it. Although it is a perfect source if you want to see top songs and listen to the first 30 seconds of any song, then go right on over to kazaa or bittorrent and download that puppy for free&#33;

itunes does take a couple seconds longer to open up though if you have quit a few songs in there...but i think its way better then Windows Media Player.
You can get also Winamp and listen the all song.

Nightwolf
11-06-2003, 11:16 AM
FYI, their proprietary m4p format is fairly easy to get around. All you have to do is burn it to a CD-RW, then use any ripping software to save it as mp3. And it&#39;s only a matter of time before simplified conversion programs start cropping up.