PDA

View Full Version : Share With Users You Know?

Burnman
10-19-2003, 05:24 AM
Is there a way to share with people you know eg. If a friend has a file in his download folder is there a way to get directed to his file if he is online?

TheFilePirater
10-19-2003, 05:28 AM
wellness....
theres 3 options

you can get his IP and TRY to jump to his supernode and get the file.. which is kinda hard conserding that theres 3million ppl always online

get a ftp server, like bpftp and run it (not recommend for first timers)

use a chat program such as msn, aim, icq or wat not to trade the file

doctah
10-19-2003, 06:02 AM
I wish there was a way to:

1. run as a supernode/server
2. require users to have a unique user name and password to connect to your supernode
3. have a way for the server to authenicate those users

...and then have everything work the same way (I think) kazaa works now.

Reason:
There is a website I visit where a lot of people make their own music. Everyone ends up making www.soundclick.com pages to host them. If we, as a group, could use the kazaa lite program, but stay in our own community - we could take advantage of passing our files to each other without dealing with the BS that is soundclick or dmusic or whoever else. As a small community of peple that share a single interest in each other's music, it would be nice to section away from the other 3 million people while keeping the interface and multi-source download features.

...but anyway --- could you setup a VPN to download swap files with someone over the internet? I never figured out how to get through my hardware firewall.

MaceWindy
10-19-2003, 06:05 AM
IRC worked well for me... and seemed to allow more direct connections, and faster speeds than messenger services or FTPs.

You can just set up an irc channel on a random server, and give your group the details, each person can set up their own "file server" for easy browsing of files. Plus, as a side feature, you'd also be able to chat in the channel with eachother, while downloading.

DasScoot
10-19-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by doctah@19 October 2003 - 06:02
I wish there was a way to:

1. run as a supernode/server
2. require users to have a unique user name and password to connect to your supernode
3. have a way for the server to authenicate those users

...and then have everything work the same way (I think) kazaa works now.

Reason:
There is a website I visit where a lot of people make their own music. Everyone ends up making www.soundclick.com pages to host them. If we, as a group, could use the kazaa lite program, but stay in our own community - we could take advantage of passing our files to each other without dealing with the BS that is soundclick or dmusic or whoever else. As a small community of peple that share a single interest in each other's music, it would be nice to section away from the other 3 million people while keeping the interface and multi-source download features.

...but anyway --- could you setup a VPN to download swap files with someone over the internet? I never figured out how to get through my hardware firewall.
I think you might want to look into DC++.

doctah
10-19-2003, 05:04 PM
^^yeah...

I wish Hotline was still being developed. That was "groovy" :D

Desert_Eagle
10-19-2003, 08:23 PM
If you want to get it DIRECTLY from your friend, both of you guys should use mIRC (http://www.mirc.com), DC++ (http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/), or KDX (http://www.haxial.com/products/kdx/index2.html).

hooch iam
10-20-2003, 06:34 AM
;) why not just put it on a datta disk and mail it to each other?