PDA

View Full Version : Control over downloaded pieces

tgp
02-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Is it possible to download only the pieces of a certain part of a file? Or at least prioritize them?

I know about the option in utorrent to prioritize the first and last pieces of files but i'm looking for something a bit more advanced.
For example, i would like to be able to download the first half of a file from one tracker and the other half from another tracker at the same time. Or even to use three or more trackers on different sections of the same file. Of course this is in the situation where you can't just add multiple trackers to the same torrent.

Tv Controls you
02-15-2010, 03:29 AM
Why are you trying to do this?

This could be fairly simply with exact rar files, as they are already split into tons of pieces already.

cinephilia
02-15-2010, 04:03 AM
i guess he wants to be able to start watching a film/tv-show while downloading a whole pack instead of grabbing the pack .rar by .rar.

Tv Controls you
02-15-2010, 04:12 AM
i guess he wants to be able to start watching a film/tv-show while downloading a whole pack instead of grabbing the pack .rar by .rar.

I think bitcomet had a movie previewer thing built in so while it was downloading the movie you could watch it.

Bitcomet is trash though and I wouldn't recommend it and it is also banned almost everywhere. :P

cinephilia
02-15-2010, 04:23 AM
but when you download a whole pack, you get the files randomly... except if you tick the .rar's boxes of the film you wanna watch and restart your torrent (with all .rar's boxes ticked) after it's completed.

tgp
02-15-2010, 05:09 AM
I'm not talking about torrents with rar files, i mean torrents with only one file.
I'll sometimes find the same one file (for example a 4GB .iso) on several private sites but with only one or two seeders and very low speeds. You can't add those private trackers all to one torrent because of statistics corruption and different piece sizes. So to make use of all of them you'd want to be able to have them each download a specific part of the file. For this you'd have to control which pieces each tracker downloads, but this is mostly random in utorrent. I don't have much experience with other clients though.

Another use can be with a video file where you want to only download the first part to preview it while downloading.

Tv Controls you
02-15-2010, 05:21 AM
I'm not talking about torrents with rar files, i mean torrents with only one file.
I'll sometimes find the same one file (for example a 4GB .iso) on several private sites but with only one or two seeders and very low speeds. You can't add those private trackers all to one torrent because of statistics corruption and different piece sizes. So to make use of all of them you'd want to be able to have them each download a specific part of the file. For this you'd have to control which pieces each tracker downloads, but this is mostly random in utorrent. I don't have much experience with other clients though.

Another use can be with a video file where you want to only download the first part to preview it while downloading.

Which tracker are you speaking of specifically?
Also whatever your downloading isn't that popular it seems, and their may be a site that suits your needs better.

anon
02-15-2010, 05:36 PM
For example, i would like to be able to download the first half of a file from one tracker and the other half from another tracker at the same time. Or even to use three or more trackers on different sections of the same file. Of course this is in the situation where you can't just add multiple trackers to the same torrent.

Since we're talking about a single file here and sequential downloading is deemed a bad feature in the BitTorrent protocol I don't think you'll be able to do this... at least not in uTorrent.

What tracker are we talking about here, by the way?

tgp
02-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks, i'm talking about trackers in general, no particular one. I just wanted to know if something like this is possible at all in utorrent or other clients. It doesn't have to be sequential, you could determine a certain part of a file to download the pieces from in random order.

anon
02-15-2010, 08:02 PM
I just wanted to know if something like this is possible at all in utorrent or other clients.

The BitTorrent protocol makes peers deliver pieces in a "rarest first" algorithm to ensure the swarm stays healthy. Manually overriding this would disrupt that mechanism. For that reason, you won't find a feature like that in good clients (I don't recall it being in the misbehaving ones, either). Of course, if you have coding knowledge you can grab your favorite open-source one and add it yourself.