PDA

View Full Version : Earthlink Users- Any Suggestions?

darkewolf
10-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Hi all- I was hoping that some of the earthlink.net subscribers out there could help me out with a problem that I'm having.
I cant get the contents of My Favorites (IE Bookmarks) to show up in IE, or in windows, from the start menu. Have any of y'all had this problem before, and how did ya get it fixed, if you did?
I've got a VERY strong feeling that it's the earthlink software that is blocking it, since I had a problem similar to it the very first time that I installed their stuff. The first time, I solved it by upgrading IE, but that didnt seem to work this time. Any ideas?

-Genesis-
10-19-2003, 01:29 PM
Wait a min??????? Is this not a kazaa lite forum??? What is earthlink eneway?? :unsure:

cosmic doobie
10-19-2003, 02:59 PM
earth link :huh:
didn't they threaten random nut the other week :angry:

Mivaro
10-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by cosmic doobie@19 October 2003 - 15:59
earth link  :huh:
didn't they threaten random nut the other week  :angry:
That's Earthstation...
I think he means Earthlink webmail (http://webmail.earthlink.net/)

nostalgia
10-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Why post your question 3 times?? :blink:

edit: 12:39 + 12:43 and now this one

MUSLEMAN
10-19-2003, 05:12 PM
you need to be signed on earthlink or open your favorites under documents and settings>user name>application data>earthlink>earthlink username> here one of the files has your favorites not sure what it is called could be favorites http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/thumbs.gif

ultimatejester
10-19-2003, 05:44 PM
rite click System bar/properties/advanced/start menu settings/DISPLAY FAVOURITES

This is for Windows 2000, i think xp'z is slighty different

edit: wat does this topic have to do with kazaa lite :blink: :blink:

Mr. Blunt
10-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Wow, some people don't know about Earthlink (http://www.earthlink.net)? It's just another ISP.

Hi all- I was hoping that some of the earthlink.net subscribers out there could help me out with a problem that I'm having.
I cant get the contents of My Favorites (IE Bookmarks) to show up in IE, or in windows, from the start menu. Have any of y'all had this problem before, and how did ya get it fixed, if you did?
I've got a VERY strong feeling that it's the earthlink software that is blocking it, since I had a problem similar to it the very first time that I installed their stuff. The first time, I solved it by upgrading IE, but that didnt seem to work this time. Any ideas?

Are you using TotalAccess 2004? If so, you have to be signed into the Task Panel to have your favorites showed up. They will only be displayed in IE not other Windows. This is so only YOU can see your favorites. When you signout, the favorites are switched back to the defaults.

Does that solve your question?

ultimatejester
10-19-2003, 07:48 PM
can ne1 explain to me wat does IE bookmarks have to do with Earthlink

darkewolf
10-19-2003, 10:48 PM
replying in order of the posts to the thread-

Mivaro- yes, that damn bar that they installed so that I can connect to the net over their service. If ya dont install it, ya cant connect.

Nostalgia- On one of those dupe posts, I apologized for that. Stupid Opera is throwing a kiniption fit over loading these message boards, and when I click to add the post, the screen locks. Even tho it transmits, it gives me an error message saying that it didnt. I've learned to work past it (I THINK...) tho, so no more of that from me :)

MM- I gotta stop reading your more technical posts when I'm so damn tired ;) I'll check it out when I get back up, but after what Mr. Blunt posted...I think I'm screwed.

Ultimate Jester, I'll try that too....when I get back up. and to your later question- Earthlink is becoming invasive as HELL!!! GRRRRRRRRRR If they keep up with it, they gonna have a monster like AOhell 6.0+
Thanx both of yas! :D

Mr. Blunt- yep...that answers my question. I appreciate you knowing that 4 is like that...but it's bad news to me. I'm used to installing 3, which you can bypass that shit, so I told 4 not to import my faves. Looks like a reinstall, back to three....and that prolly means that I'm gonna have to reinstall my router. Sheesh...I'm tired of reinstalling stuff after this FOURTH format, plus the fdisk on top of it. Oh well...nuff whining wolf! Thanks for letting me know the source of at least Part of my woes!

Hopefully, these things that Jester and MM are telling me to try, will work! Thanks VERY much guys- having to open my favorites folder, and opening a bookmark from there isnt too hard, but it gets old...fast.

Mr. Blunt
10-20-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by darkewolf@19 October 2003 - 15:48
Mivaro- yes, that damn bar that they installed so that I can connect to the net over their service. If ya dont install it, ya cant connect.

Actually, you don't have to install TotalAccess 2004 to connect to Earthlink. When I signed up, they gave me a page with all the details to connect to Earthlink manually.

Are you using Earthlink's Dial-Up service or their high speed service?

You can configure your computer to connect without the software by visiting Earthlink's support page.

Here's a walkthrew on how to set up your computer: http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/...e/8419.psc.html (http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/walkthroughs/other/landingpage/8419.psc.html)

http://support.earthlink.net

darkewolf
10-20-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Blunt@20 October 2003 - 01:29
Actually, you don't have to install TotalAccess 2004 to connect to Earthlink. When I signed up, they gave me a page with all the details to connect to Earthlink manually.

Are you using Earthlink's Dial-Up service or their high speed service?

You can configure your computer to connect without the software by visiting Earthlink's support page.
Mr. Blunt, are you using their dialup service for conn? I couldnt find any configuration instructions on their site for cable, which is what I've got; just for the DUN. I did go ahead and email support about the issue tho, asking if they knew any resolution to the issue.

Jester- those options for the windows task bar arent available to my win98se machine.

MM- were you talking about documents thru the start menu? If so, those arent available under my O/S either.

Sorry for forgetting to mention that this is a 98 machine, I tend to forget that the majority of users are on whister (XP) now.

This is Very Seriously ODD: I clicked the FAVORITES button (instead of going through the menu bar like I usually do) and all of them showed up in the sidebox in the IE window, and now they will appear in the menu bar too. But, they still wont show up in the windows start menu. Really fricken odd. Spirits, but I truly hate invasive software!

Anyways, thanks a LOT for the advice guys! I dunno where my head has been lately. Normally, I woulda just mailed support first to see what they had to say about it....I guess part of it was cause their support is kinda...lacking.
Maybe it's the lack of sleep lately, that's caused me to somehow regress all the way back to "newbie comp user" that dont know how to do anything.
But like I said, thanks for trying to help, you guys. And sorry that I'm being a stoopid chit lately! (I'm working on finding the cause of those symptoms too! :lol:)

MUSLEMAN
10-20-2003, 10:10 AM
well with earthlink you have 2 favorites your favorites when you are sing in at earthlink and

your favorites when you are not signed in at earthlinks they are 2 different lists

you need to enable show of hidden folders to see it but its under your pc user name then under your application data>earth link>and its here

darkewolf
10-20-2003, 01:06 PM
application data?

MUSLEMAN
10-20-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by darkewolf@20 October 2003 - 09:06
application data?
yes do you have show hidden files enabled??

Mr. Blunt
10-21-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+20 October 2003 - 06:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN @ 20 October 2003 - 06:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-darkewolf@20 October 2003 - 09:06
application data?
yes do you have show hidden files enabled?? [/b][/quote]
I don&#39;t think Win98 has a application data folder.

Sorry for forgetting to mention that this is a 98 machine, I tend to forget that the majority of users are on whister (XP) now.

Mr. Blunt
10-21-2003, 12:38 AM
Mr. Blunt, are you using their dialup service for conn? I couldnt find any configuration instructions on their site for cable, which is what I&#39;ve got; just for the DUN. I did go ahead and email support about the issue tho, asking if they knew any resolution to the issue.

Yeah, I&#39;m using their dial-up service for my connection.

I just noticed in my other post, I gave you the wrong link. :P Here&#39;s the page I meant to post. You can choose which connection your trying to set up.

http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/...e/9260.psc.html (http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/walkthroughs/other/landingpage/9260.psc.html)

Edit: Looking threw that page, I think you can&#39;t set up your cable to not use the software. See, with Dial-Up you can create a manual connection. Cable, I think makes you use their software.

ultimatejester
10-21-2003, 01:20 AM
Start the Registry Editor
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER &#092; Software &#092; Microsoft &#092; Windows &#092; CurrentVersion &#092; Policies &#092; Explorer
Right-click an open area in the right pane and select New > DWORD Value
Name it NoFavoritesMenu
Double-click this entry and add the value 0
Exit RegEdit and restart Windows

Lets see if this works. :D

This can also be done using TweakUI

darkewolf
10-24-2003, 04:40 AM
Mr. Blunt- yeah, their DUN can be setup without their software, I wasnt able to find anything about setting up a cable conn without it so I dont think that it can be done. I know, the first day that I got it, the installer forgot to install it from the cd, and it wouldnt connect at all, even tho the modem was working, and everything was connected. it was like the comp knew where the road was, knew that there was triffic on it, but couldnt find the garage door to get the car out there.

Ultimate Jester- windoze crashed out on me again, so I just formated it, and reinstalled with 2003. I&#39;m gonna keep this thread marked tho, because of that regedit key that you posted

thanks for all the tips and advice tho everybody, I really appreciate it&#33; :D