PDA

View Full Version : Numbered file extensions

drunkenm4ster
02-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Hi,

I know this probably sounds silly but have tried to search for an answer ut getting nowhere. Please could you help.
I have downloaded some software via fst which has file extensions with numbers, The instructions are to use to winrar to extra the data and burn the iso to disc...so far so good.
When I try to open the first sequential numbered file with winrar, and ask it to apply to all files, it only allows me to convert the first numbered file to a rar file. There are a lot of files and would like to know if there is something I am doing wrong. Hope this makes sense!!
Any help and info would be highly appreciated

MultiForce
02-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Hi,

I know this probably sounds silly but have tried to search for an answer ut getting nowhere. Please could you help.
I have downloaded some software via fst which has file extensions with numbers, The instructions are to use to winrar to extra the data and burn the iso to disc...so far so good.
When I try to open the first sequential numbered file with winrar, and ask it to apply to all files, it only allows me to convert the first numbered file to a rar file. There are a lot of files and would like to know if there is something I am doing wrong. Hope this makes sense!!

Is the file extension software.rar.001 or is it software.001 etc.?

tesco
02-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi,

It shouldn't be 'converting' it to rar, it should be extracting the files within it like as if they were .r01 .r02 etc. files.

Rart
02-18-2010, 01:46 AM
What tesco said... you're only supposed to be extracting the files, not converting them to .rar (they already are rar files).

Left click on any of the rar files and choose "Open with winrar" and you should be just fine, it'll automatically extract it in the correct manner no matter which one you choose.

Although any half decent newgroup client should automatically extract the files for you, such as Grabit, Newsleecher, Sabnzbd, etc.

iLOVENZB
02-18-2010, 09:17 AM
You're meant to join them
http://www.binaries4all.com/001/
http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/manual/

drunkenm4ster
02-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Many thanks for all your responses

I should have worded the post better I am extracting the files not converting.
The files have the following format: rzr-me2a.001" etc & rzr-me2b.001" etc

I use Grabit but this does not extract the files as Rart advises.

My next step will be to try and join then as per ILOVENZB's advice

Maybe my winrar version 3.90 is out of date as it does keep saying the trial period is over. Problem is when I have tried to download winrar nzb's there is always an infection

Talkaboutfiles
02-18-2010, 02:55 PM
hjsplit is most likely what you need

http://hjsplit.en.softonic.com/

Or right click first rar file(r00)open with select winrar,extract here.

If winrar is a problem use extractnow it's free software.

MultiForce
02-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Many thanks for all your responses

I should have worded the post better I am extracting the files not converting.
The files have the following format: rzr-me2a.001" etc & rzr-me2b.001" etc

I use Grabit but this does not extract the files as Rart advises.

My next step will be to try and join then as per ILOVENZB's advice

Maybe my winrar version 3.90 is out of date as it does keep saying the trial period is over. Problem is when I have tried to download winrar nzb's there is always an infection

I don't think it's because it's Winrar that is out of date, and I certainly don't think you should use hjsplit on the files cause I have never seen a collection with less than two extensions if you are meant to join them (you won't get any file extension left after you are done anyway:P).
Neither Alt.Binz, or Newsbin is able to extract the 001 files on my comp.

Just so I know you aren't doing something wrong (after re-reading your first post): Have you tried to open Winrar, then open the first file from there (file, open archive etc.), right click the content of the rar archive and select extract?

drunkenm4ster
02-20-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't think it's because it's Winrar that is out of date, and I certainly don't think you should use hjsplit on the files cause I have never seen a collection with less than two extensions if you are meant to join them (you won't get any file extension left after you are done anyway:P).
Neither Alt.Binz, or Newsbin is able to extract the 001 files on my comp.

Just so I know you aren't doing something wrong (after re-reading your first post): Have you tried to open Winrar, then open the first file from there (file, open archive etc.), right click the content of the rar archive and select extract?

Doh silly me, that's worked fine extracting from opening Winrar first then selecting first file - bravo have a drink on me :guiness:

MultiForce
02-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Well, you got the right nick :P

SonsOfLiberty
02-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Well you can just select all and click extract in WinRAR.