PDA

View Full Version : Byte Sized Hosting is finally open to everyone

unoriginal
02-18-2010, 01:47 AM
From their Twitter feed: We are having _open_ signups for at least a week or till we hit the magic mark. We will be closing signups for a few months after that.

The only way to previously get in was to follow them and be lucky enough to get an account for the hour or two they were available. I signed up about 10 days ago and have been pretty happy so far. The only downside is their default client is deluge which isn't allowed on a few trackers I use. But they got utorrent set up for me without much trouble. They are a server.lu reseller and don't seem to suffer from the upload limits that OVH puts on their servers. The only downside is they recently raised their prices from 10euros to 12 for their smallest seedbox.

Is anyone else besides me currently using them? Or thinking of signing up?

Morpheus
02-18-2010, 04:25 AM
They raised each of their boxes by 2 euros because their recent server additions were a bit more expensive. Those of us on the "older" servers are still paying the cheaper price. However, even at 12 euros (≈16 USD) they're hands down one of the cheapest seedbox providers who provide decent HDD space. They work similarly to Big Slice Box, Whatbox, TPS, or any other places with a large amount of users on a single server.

The upload bandwidth never really suffers cause the majority of the bandwidth is used immediately after someone jumps on a torrent. The BG community has some users since that's where Bytesized got it's initial beta testers.

unoriginal
02-18-2010, 06:01 AM
I wonder if server.lu finally ran out of refurbed servers? Seems like they were selling those things since forever.

But yeah, as far as the service I'm darn happy with the box. Plus the support is great with the public tickets, and people lurking on IRC. It doesn't take long to solve a problem if anything pops up.

bigwicker
02-21-2010, 04:51 PM
I am not here to slate them or say they are rubbish because i think everyone's experience is different. I can say the few days i have used them the speeds haven't been that great, especially uploading never over 1MB in speed sadly, downloads have not been that much better either, if at all. I know i only opted for the 12 Euro box, but it was to see if it was worth purchasing a bigger spaced one. As i said at the beginning this is only my experience and other people are probably having a great experience, but for myself in future i will stay well clear and go back to the 2 companies i know are very good, a bit more cost wise but you definitely get the speeds.... Cheers Animazing for trying to sort things but it's just not for me.

soulnova
03-05-2010, 04:31 PM
I have had their service for a few months now and have been very pleased with them. Tickets get answer quickly and the speeds have been good for me. I have hit 10 Megs on the down side a number of times and regularly seed at great speeds.

Its been a simple service that works. What more can I ask for?

Cabalo
03-05-2010, 04:47 PM
I have had their service for a few months now and have been very pleased with them. Tickets get answer quickly and the speeds have been good for me. I have hit 10 Megs on the down side a number of times and regularly seed at great speeds.

And you were so happy, you registered just to come here and tell us all about your experience.

Certainly good to read an unbiased opinion, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

unoriginal
03-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Well how about an opinion from a current customer that's kinda unhappy right now? Bytesized recently posted a black list of trackers that will not be allowed for use on their seedboxes. They apparently filter them at their firewall and any attempt to get around the block runs the risk of losing your account. You can find the list here: http://pastebin.com/0rvYpjRX

The rule is basically "if you can download a torrent from a tracker and it doesnt require an invite, then its public and not allowed." There are a couple places that I use that appear on the list and because of this I am now searching for a new provider. So if you see a bunch of open slots in the next few days/weeks this is probably the reason why.

soulnova
03-05-2010, 06:15 PM

And you were so happy, you registered just to come here and tell us all about your experience.

Good to see your input provided even less meaning than mine. Well played sir.

phauk
03-05-2010, 07:45 PM

lol well said cabalo... nothing like an admin coming and punting his own company... smartarse.. hope it fails.

Cabalo
03-05-2010, 07:51 PM

Well, you could say you can consider yourselves very lucky that I haven't considered this as advertising.
But seeing the way this thread is going to, I will leave this open.

It will serve a purpose, but hardly the one initially masterminded.

phauk
03-05-2010, 07:53 PM

Well, you could say you can consider yourselves very lucky that I haven't considered this as advertising.

its :spam: get it sorted! lazy mofo :P

unoriginal
03-05-2010, 08:09 PM

I'm apologize if this was considered spam. If one of the admins decides to close or delete it could someone at least leave the bit in about them blocking certain trackers now? I certainly wouldn't have signed up if I knew they had a list of 200+ places that are off limits. And the only warning you get on their homepage as to what is not alllowed is "The Piratebay, OpenBittorrent, Demonoid and the likes. Use your own judgement what open means or contact us if uncertain." I don't think that in any way could prepare you for the huge banned list that they have waiting for you once you get signed up and in the door.

Cabalo
03-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Don't worry, the post wasn't directed at you.

Morpheus
03-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Hey, I must be an admin from Bytesized as well what with all my 'advertising'. Hell, I learned something new today. No such thing as reviewing seedbox providers right?

The rule is basically "if you can download a torrent from a tracker and it doesnt require an invite, then its public and not allowed." There are a couple places that I use that appear on the list and because of this I am now searching for a new provider. So if you see a bunch of open slots in the next few days/weeks this is probably the reason why.

And the only warning you get on their homepage as to what is not alllowed is "The Piratebay, OpenBittorrent, Demonoid and the likes. Use your own judgement what open means or contact us if uncertain." I don't think that in any way could prepare you for the huge banned list that they have waiting for you once you get signed up and in the door.
You can send a private ticket if you want a refund. BigSB also bans public trackers for security reasons. I'm somewhat sadden that people can't distinguish private from public trackers especially when they're on FST.

unoriginal
03-07-2010, 08:47 PM
I've been with them for two weeks. I don't think I will be getting a refund from them after this long. And the servers that I use have a limited numbers of members that are allowed at any one time. Occasionally the older unused accounts will get purged and people don't need an invite to get in at that point like they might most other times. I asked Animazing about a couple and he confirmed that they would qualify as public trackers because of this. If you lump me in as an idiot for associating places like that in the same group at TPB and Mininova, so be it. But it my mind I think they should be allowed. They certainly are on my new host as well as with a couple former providers.

Animazing
03-07-2010, 09:43 PM

Certainly good to read an unbiased opinion, that's for sure

I can confirm that Soulnova is not an admin at ByteSized, but a loyal member. Of course I have no way to prove this, so defending this fact would be pointless.

I've been with them for two weeks. I don't think I will be getting a refund from them after this long. And the servers that I use have a limited numbers of members that are allowed at any one time. Occasionally the older unused accounts will get purged and people don't need an invite to get in at that point like they might most other times. I asked Animazing about a couple and he confirmed that they would qualify as public trackers because of this. If you lump me in as an idiot for associating places like that in the same group at TPB and Mininova, so be it. But it my mind I think they should be allowed. They certainly are on my new host as well as with a couple former providers.

Hey,

We will give you a partial refund if you feel we haven't been clear enough about the public/open tracker part of our ToS. Please submit a private ticket and we will refund you your remaining days.

randrace
03-23-2010, 06:36 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fa/Joseph_McCarthy.jpg/250px-Joseph_McCarthy.jpg

Oh, hi Everybuggy,

I'm going to join the ranks of first-time posters sharing positive experiences with Bytesized. I've had an account with them for about 2 months and I can't say enough good things about the place.

This was my first time using a seedbox; I did a lot of research before jumping in. I ended up going with bytesized because of the price, the unlimited traffic claim, and the good marks they got from waffles users.

I was able to start downloading torrents minutes after sending them my money. The box was all set up with deluge and worked great. I'm no linux guy, so I appreciated the user-friendly-ness of the way the box was set up.

The speeds are great, for what I'm doing. I know I've uploaded 1mb/s before, but I haven't really pushed it.

You can find the list here: http://pastebin.com/0rvYpjRX

This is the first I've seen this list. I just gave it a peep to see what I'm missing out on. I didn't really recognize anything but isohunt, and btjunkie.

People looking for a seedbox, should look at bytesized as serving a niche market. I use private trackers exclusively (although I have started using public trackers since getting a put.io account), so I'm not affected by the public tracker ban. If you like public trackers, I would go with another seedbox.

Remember when everyone was bouncing off the walls about the what/waffles deluge/utorrent ban? I think the bytesized admins lost some sleep that week. They responded to all the user-freaking, and ended up getting deluge 1.2.1 set up on everyone's boxes by the ban deadline. This meant that my torrenting (on what, at least) was uninterrupted.

I like the way they handled that sitch, I'll be with bytesized for as long as they're around.

brgroup
04-02-2010, 09:44 AM
If you need to use public trackers with your seedbox, go to fastsh.it..which has no waiting period as of this writing on some plans..They are on server.lu, are VPS's and fairly close in price on the top two plans of BS..

heiska
04-02-2010, 09:52 PM
If you need to use public trackers with your seedbox, go to fastsh.it..which has no waiting period as of this writing on some plans..They are on server.lu, are VPS's and fairly close in price on the top two plans of BS..

Fastsh.it does not allow public trackers, man.

nikiiii
04-04-2010, 02:18 PM
i'm thinking about going with them
they have a very good reputation & the most important thing is the unlimited bandwidth unlike my provider now