PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Island

1000possibleclaws
02-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Saw it tonight, loved it! The commercial's gave me the impression it was a horror/thriller flick, but it was a Scorsese so I figured it would be good. I loved it the whole way through, and the ending was just great! I recommendation to see in theatres, or if not, definitely look out for the pre's on this one. It's unusual for me to watch non-comedy movies more than once, but I am definitely rewatching this one when it leaks.:)

By the way, it is not a horror-flick, but a semi-detective movie with interesting subplots into the character's past, and a satisfying ending that makes good sense.

db_la_23
02-20-2010, 12:33 PM
thanks for the review

bubbletee
02-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Reading your review and seeing the trailer makes me wanna watch Shutter Island all the more. I read a brief summary of the plot and it does sound interesting. Maybe I'll watch it at home instead of theaters, well depends on my friends who'll be coming.

IdolEyes787
02-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Saw it tonight, loved it! The commercial's gave me the impression it was a horror/thriller flick, but it was a Scorsese so I figured it would be good. I loved it the whole way through, and the ending was just great! I recommendation to see in theatres, or if not, definitely look out for the pre's on this one. It's unusual for me to watch non-comedy movies more than once, but I am definitely rewatching this one when it leaks.:)

By the way, it is not a horror-flick, but a semi-detective movie with interesting subplots into the character's past, and a satisfying ending that makes good sense.

I can't overstate how much I HATED the ending . Add this to The Departed I I'm starting to believe Scorsese was abused as a child or something.

ugk4life
02-23-2010, 02:03 AM
This movie was really good. I saw it this weekend with my wife and I too thought it was a horror flick and was surprised to find out that it wasn't. Normally I would be mad b/c I was expecting something else but I loved the movie. And to top it off, I didn't even know it was a Scorsese flick until the credits rolled! Definitely recommend the flick!

@IdolEyes

I would have hated the movie if it ended any other way! The ending made the movie.

Albo Da Kid
02-23-2010, 02:30 AM
When i saw the commercial in TV I immediately felt that Leonardo DiCaprio had made the biggest mistake in his life for playing in this movie. It looked just so Silent Jill like.

From what I'm hearing here I'm looking forward to watching it now.

IdolEyes787
02-23-2010, 02:39 AM
I just don't like the current fashion and Scorsese's preoccupation that everything has to be a tragedy .

Or maybe he had aspirations of Shakespeare “Life's but a walking shadow.....”

stevetom
02-23-2010, 12:12 PM
hi all
thanks you all for your reviews

davegri
02-23-2010, 10:45 PM
unbelievably crappy film

mr. nails
02-25-2010, 11:41 AM
i've heard this was good and bad from both ends. so, i tackled it and all i can say is meh. nothing i care to see again, but at the same time it wasn't a terrible film. i was really hoping for a different outcome at the end, but it pretty much ends like you'd expect it to once you understand wtf is going on. 6/10

S!X
02-28-2010, 11:26 AM
once you understand wtf is going on

That was the hard part :lol::dabs:

SelfMadeMMAn
03-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Looking forward to seeing it, review helped too. Thanx

clocker
03-02-2010, 01:34 PM
I can't "get" this film...I've tried twice to watch it and only made it 30 minutes in.

Firstly, I've never seen any sort of Federal agent (DiCaprio is supposed to be a Marshall, right?) sporting peach fuzz...you'd think the budget would allow for some razor blades.

Secondly, spend some time looking at photos from the 50's (Life magazine archives are a good source) and note that everyone looks older than they really are...25 year olds of that era look like 50 year olds of today.
In Shutter Island, Leonardo appears to be about 20 although his character must be over thirty.

Oh look, Ben Kingsley plays a refugee from a Hammer Films horror movie...yawn.

I'd like to see what the twist ending is but can't seem to get involved enough to care.

IdolEyes787
03-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Bruce Willis is really a ghost but he is unaware of that fact or that only Haley Joel Osment can see him.

clocker
03-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Catchy.

Oh look! A squirrel!

IdolEyes787
03-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I didn't even get to the part where Sam Jackson is really the mastermind behind all the disasters.

hrt
03-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Shouldn´t have read so much of this thread since I haven´t watched this film yet.. maybe tonight :)

Totti
03-12-2010, 11:32 PM
I have to say that usually don't go for this kind of genre but the movie kept me on the edge of my seat until the end ( I though it was a horror flick from the previews). The ending really gave the story a nice closure in my opinion I am happy that i went to see this one in the theater

mariomarian
03-13-2010, 02:54 PM
for me it was a good movie even though when i left the cinema 80% of viewers told me that they didn't understand anything:))

db_la_23
03-17-2010, 02:17 AM
the R5 is out

Albo Da Kid
03-19-2010, 06:11 AM
I just finished watching this movie and I gotta say it was the opposite of what I had expected it to be like. I thought it was going to be a paranormal horror flick.

I really enjoyed this film and Lenardo Dicaprio has amazed me with his acting skills once more. I'm probably going to watch this for a second time in the future.

Scorcese also did great job directing it.

thisguy
03-19-2010, 07:08 AM
i luved this movie was best i saw in a while, hope everyone understood they made him crazy and that he didnt kill his wife or have kids lol

chalice
03-20-2010, 01:15 AM
i luved this movie was best i saw in a while, hope everyone understood they made him crazy and that he didnt kill his wife or have kids lol

Spastic much, mate?

Seems that the pay-off paid off clean over your cranium.

Good for me, good for the general populous, yet just not clever enough for the likes of rat-arse handicaps like yourself.

Ho hum.

Jimmy24
03-20-2010, 03:30 AM
I'm glad it's not a horror flic. Haven't seen it yet, just waiting on the bluray

ThorMAN
03-20-2010, 07:41 AM
This movie is wow!

BullRock
03-20-2010, 03:14 PM
nice movie with good story like it

Fc Barcelona Fan
03-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Can you say something to the film? Anyone seen it? Thanks

hope94
03-25-2010, 10:03 AM
i'm with alba..

Shawn84
03-26-2010, 04:10 AM
I agree with a few of the comments here about the ending. I dont get the trend that sooo many movies these days end with tragedy. There are so many negative, unnecessarily depressing endings.

Is this a reflection of society?

There is no doubt there are signs of decadence in todays society. If history is doomed to repeat itself, then there is a resemblance of the fall of the roman empire.

I know, thats pretty deep. But I feel it must be acknowledged and understood to be prevented. This probably wouldnt be the forum for such comments though so.. Peace :)

Aristocles
03-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, I guess I am a dissenter. I found it to be unoriginal, as I saw roughly through the plot early on. I remember thinking "Spellbound", early on. . .

Production values, acting, etc. were quite acceptable, though.

Alaadeno0o
03-27-2010, 09:52 PM
iTS a great movie but i didn't understand iT!
is he a detictive or a pechent!(i don't know how to write it sorry):P!

Quarterquack
03-28-2010, 04:29 AM
Patient*

Also; I really thought this was a Hot Fuzz remade into a horror flick, however now I think it's otherwise. I might give it a watch.

superjojo
03-31-2010, 10:49 AM
I have only one question about the movie. I think I understood pretty much
the whole movie except one detail.
In one scene when di Caprio was watching the lighthouse,
there is no path to it. Just pure water. But in the end,
he was wet since he had to swim to the lighthouse but dr. Cawley and Chuck were dry.
Was this a part of his imagination?

Quarterquack
04-01-2010, 02:54 AM
Not at all. He had to swim because the tide was in, and he was determined to get there at that specific time. When the tide sets out, you can simply walk to it, and all that would get wet are your shoes/feet.

pierrejoyce
04-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Really good movie but I had to watch it twice to get the most out of it.

bilbobaggins
04-04-2010, 04:43 AM

I can't overstate how much I HATED the ending . Add this to The Departed I I'm starting to believe Scorsese was abused as a child or something.

haha! thinking the same thing..

mandown
04-04-2010, 01:59 PM
It's good movie it seems like one of the mindfuck movies like fight club or something :D

Innocentman
04-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Looks great, I haven't have the chance to look at it.

xisabella
04-05-2010, 01:36 AM
it`s great movie. it`s wors to watching. i like this movie.

nightson
04-05-2010, 03:07 AM
Good movie indeed but something is missing in the performance.

freak12345
04-11-2010, 08:04 PM
the movie is good but probably not among the top 5 Scorcese films that i have watched...