PDA

View Full Version : Can't see new threads in report section

pro267
02-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I used to be able to see reports I've made as threads in the report section. That was a very cool feature as you could get staff's reply and - if needed - comment on it and provide additional information.

Well, recently I've filed a report regarding the first post in the WTAW thread, however following that I couldn't see the report thread. At first it said I didn't have the permissions to view it, and afterwords I couldn't even see the report in the topics list in the report section. Figuring the report somehow got lost, I've filed a second identical report, with similar results.

I'd like to know whether this change in the report function of the board is a bug in the system, or was the board modified intentionally to behave that way? (and if so, what's the logic behind it, and how is the reporter supposed to get feedback about the report?)

I would also like to know what's going on with the reports I've filed. If any mod would rather discuss this via pm instead - that's fine by me. Thanks.

Rart
02-22-2010, 10:54 PM
If more than one report is made for the same post, all reports after the first are simply merged into the same thread as the original post, and it looks like you just made another post in someone else's report thread.

And since only the original thread starter can view the report they made, the only person that can view that thread is the very first person who reported the WTAW post, and thus is the only person that can view the post you made.

I guess this was probably done to reduce spam if a really bad post got a lot of reports, but I can see how it'd be a downside for high traffic threads like the WTAW, I guess it depends on whether the admins would be willing to revise it or not.

pro267
02-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the explanation.

If you're right about the reasoning behind this change being to reduce the amount of reports on a bad post, then to be honest I fail to see how it accomplishes this goal. It doesn't reduce the amount of reports, it just limits the people who can view them.

I thought this functionality might've been modified so that people won't be able to view each other's reports on the same post, but if the original poster can still view all the reports then that's not the case.

Rart
02-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Well I don't think it was meant to reduce the number of reports on a post, but reduce the amount of new threads that are created when bad posts are reported, so that moderators don't have to wade through 10 threads all reporting the same post (and have to set every single one of them to fulfilled).

I do believe that the OP can see all subsequent reports made on the same post though.

pro267
02-22-2010, 11:27 PM
The report section doesn't work like that, or at least didn't used to until recently. For every post, only a single report thread was opened, and all reports regarding that post were added to that thread.

I even remember a case of a member being pissed off since another guy who filed a report on the same post as him saw his report and then harassed him on the board because of it.

Rart
02-22-2010, 11:31 PM
For every post, only a single report thread was opened, and all reports regarding that post were added to that thread.

It does work like that?

tesco
02-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Rart got it right.

I actually raised this issue as a bug report on vbulletin.com once before.
My report was that if a user is not able to see the thread that the new report post is being placed in then it should instead start a new thread.
I thought I remembered them fixing this issue though, but it's possible they didn't.
I'll go have a look.

edit: Nevermind I reported a similar bug but not quite the same.
Now that I think about it this isn't really a bug with vbulletin, more of us requiring ability to turn off this report grouping altogether because of how we use the report section.

pro267
02-23-2010, 12:03 AM
For every post, only a single report thread was opened, and all reports regarding that post were added to that thread.

It does work like that?
My point was that it didn't open a new thread for every report, hence would not spam the reports section with multiple threads. In that regard, the functionality hasn't changed. What has changed is the fact that now the newer reporters don't seem to have access to that report thread anymore.

Thanks for checking that out, tesco. Could you or anyone else from staff check my report(s) and see if they can handle them?

tesco
02-23-2010, 12:07 AM
It does work like that?
My point was that it didn't open a new thread for every report, hence would not spam the reports section with multiple threads. In that regard, the functionality hasn't changed. What has changed is the fact that now the newer reporters don't seem to have access to that report thread anymore.

Thanks for checking that out, tesco. Could you or anyone else from staff check my report(s) and see if they can handle them?
Well it was marked as Awaiting feedback from moderator, but I started you a new thread anyway so you can communicate.
I know nothing about BT so I can't help with the report...

pro267
02-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks, tesco :smilie4: