PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Fit Large Files To A Cd?

b4icu
10-20-2003, 04:17 AM
specifically, i am trying to split a 750 mb avi file to put it on 2 cds. any gurus out there willing to share an idea?

muchspl2
10-20-2003, 04:19 AM
it will fit on 1 disk, just do a search

hoola_loop
10-20-2003, 04:36 AM
you can make an xcd and burn the file in mode2 then the .avi will fit on a 700mb cd. you can do this with mode2 cd maker. here is the url http://webs.ono.com/usr016/de_xt/mcf.html
if you dont want to go that rout you can always split the avi with virtualdub. load the file set the video to direct stream copy. use edit and set your in and out marks and click---file---save as avi. make sure your in and out points are on keyframes or you may wind up with audio/video synce issues.
i cant think of any other way to fit a 750mb avi file on one 700mb disk unless you use the mode2 cd burning method. i mean you can always re-encode but who wants to drop quality. i use xcd's all the time and have never had probs with em. plus i get to add that ever so more bitrate to my rips. and every little bit counts.just read up on them and know all the pros and cons before you go that route.

MUSLEMAN
10-20-2003, 04:45 AM
all you have to do is use nero and choose over burn, most things in the prosses of geting encoded and burn will fitt automatically anyways

hoola_loop
10-20-2003, 05:04 AM
all you have to do is use nero and choose over burn, most things in the prosses of geting encoded and burn will fitt automatically anyways

are you saying you can put a 750mb avi data file on a 700mb cdr using overburn? **without re-encoding?** if so good news to me and overburn rules.but, i wasnt aware you could burn an extra 50mb of data in mode1 on a 700mb cdr

thanks for the info. i learn something everyday.

Gre1
10-20-2003, 05:25 AM
Just burn the file as data using Nero Burning Rom and it will burn onto disc but u can not watch on DVD player.

RealitY
10-20-2003, 09:16 AM
Video in VCD format can be well over the 700mb mark...

MUSLEMAN
10-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by REALITY@20 October 2003 - 05:16
thank you reality http://www.nepentheisland.com/archives/images/smilies/matrix.gif

darkewolf
10-20-2003, 12:46 PM
could also try to find some of those hard to find 800 mb cd-r disks.

or could use a file splitter on the file before burning it, there's some freebies at www.webattack.com click the freeware tab along the top. Dont ask me to recommend any, I havent used one in a looooooooong time. sowwy

hoola_loop
10-21-2003, 01:56 AM

yes this is true im sorry if i misunderstood i thought he had an avi. he would have to re-encode the file to vcd format in order to burn in vcd format and that reencoding the file will be a loss of quality that is all.

asmithz
10-21-2003, 02:28 AM
Go to the place that darkewolf told you to goto and download Dr.DivX. It will make it a divx, it will be smaller, but will not loose sound or picture quailty. I download bad boyz 2 and it was 2 cds at 715mb a piece and it made it 600mb. :)

From the people that created DivX comes a tool that lets you compress your existing AVI files into high quality DivX movies, using a simple 3-step interface, that does not require any knowledge about codecs or the use of multiple applications to process the individual steps. All you need to do is select the AVI file, specify output quality (certified DiVX quality) and you re ready to go. Advanced users can modify some of the output settings as well. DrDivX includes the DivX Pro codec. If you always heard people talking about DivX, but found it too difficult get your files converted, then you should definitely check this out. You can reduce video to 10% of its original size, convert from multiple video formats and more. During the review, we reduced a 5 gigabyte digital video to about 100 mb, while preserving very good quality. Using this tool, now everyone can create high quality DivX movies without having to be a video encoding geek!

Amarjit
10-21-2003, 04:03 PM
The simplest solution would be split the files using some sort of compression software, two of the most popular that come to my mind are WinRAR and WinZip.

darkewolf
10-21-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Amarjit@21 October 2003 - 16:03
The simplest solution would be split the files using some sort of compression software, two of the most popular that come to my mind are WinRAR and WinZip.
but if they are trying to play them in a dvd player, it wont read compressed files. That's fine just for storage, but not for actual playable files.

But since they never really stated why they were burning them to disk, it's all been an assumption that they want to put them to hardcopy as playable files.

Amarjit
10-22-2003, 03:59 PM
Too true, I suppose VirtualDub would then come in handy for the idea you have in mind.

shponglejam
10-23-2003, 04:45 AM
Ok..... I have to do the same thing myself.... get a bunch a avi files (Divix, xvid ect ) (It was never clarified that he had DVD to burn.. I'm asummin it's not by the way he stated it)on cd to save... I wanta reformat my HDD n reformat and reinstall XP Pro ......easiest would be to buy a larger hd and move them to it but lack of finances.... My avg file isnt much over 700 mb... The zip solution sounded good for a quick solution to keep the files flexible ...........................Zip???? ya think??

b4icu
10-23-2003, 06:45 AM
thanks for the help guys. yeah, i was trying to compress the large file further so i could just pop it in the dc drive and watch it. i bought one of those 800 mb cd-r disks, but for some reason my drive doesnt recognize it. i think ill try to use Dr. Divx. thanks again gang!

darkewolf
10-24-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by shponglejam@23 October 2003 - 04:45
Ok..... I have to do the same thing myself.... get a bunch a avi files (Divix, xvid ect ) (It was never clarified that he had DVD to burn.. I'm asummin it's not by the way he stated it)on cd to save... I wanta reformat my HDD n reformat and reinstall XP Pro ......easiest would be to buy a larger hd and move them to it but lack of finances.... My avg file isnt much over 700 mb... The zip solution sounded good for a quick solution to keep the files flexible ...........................Zip???? ya think??
if you're just putting it to hardcopy to be able to have backups for the format, and then plan to copy them back over to the comp, I'd say to go ahead and zip them, but Not to use a LOT of compression on them. I'm always leary of using compression on large files, especially vid. Compression and decompression can cause data degradation, if not corruption. Persoanlly, I like the 800 mb disks, and use them all the time. But I would DEFINITELY say to burn them onto disk! I myself (As some of the other board members know, since they are trying to help me RECOVER the lost files...) know for a FACT that trying to copy them over to another hard drive can cause serious data loss of the files. I also would say to stay away from these so-called "backup programs" to do the job. Most of them dont copy the files that users intend to copy them, for reasons like this. what they do, is make a "clone" or "photograph" copy, and save it as a file that is generally unreadable except to the backup program.

------------------------
thanks for the help guys. yeah, i was trying to compress the large file further so i could just pop it in the cd drive and watch it. i bought one of those 800 mb cd-r disks, but for some reason my drive doesnt recognize it. i think ill try to use Dr. Divx. thanks again gang!
-------------------------
no prob, hope everything goes well ;) I'm curious as to why your drive didnt recognize the 800 disk tho......

b4icu
10-28-2003, 12:24 AM
Dr DivX rocks and totally fixed my problems. Easy to use, i can specify how many MB the final product should be, and it works like a charm (even if it does take 7 hours to compress an 850 mb crouching tiger, hidden dragon to a 700 mb size, hehe). 13 days left before it expires, better get to work. thx.