PDA

View Full Version : Moved on..is it just me?

captive
02-23-2010, 10:24 AM
well it came to that time in my life when i just had to move on. after co starting a scene grp and being involved with that for years, then moving to NG and now sacking off all my scene and NG stuff and doing the ultimate about face and using bittorrent only.

it all just becomes a bit infantile, uploading, seeding, all the bitching and moaning, begging for invites, now i just grab what i want when i want and save myself alot of time, and thats not all that much.

life just moves on, wife baby and that, just wondered if we all get to that stage at some point, or is it just me?

Zac090
02-23-2010, 10:59 AM
is it just me?

Maybe :unsure:
I know that I still use torrents:O

fairtrader
02-23-2010, 11:07 AM
I am currently in the denial phase.

But I guess, at some point of all this drama you do realise that you don't really need all this bullshit to do what you want to do, which is basically to download some shit.

Zac090
02-23-2010, 11:10 AM
True that^^^
But its fine as long as torrents don't become a part of your life,as long as you are an average member (of some tracker) downloading and seeding stuff its all good :)

Tv Controls you
02-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Why is there so much drama everywhere you turn in BT....

fairtrader
02-23-2010, 01:21 PM
True that^^^
But its fine as long as torrents don't become a part of your life,as long as you are an average member (of some tracker) downloading and seeding stuff its all good :)

exactly lol.It turns to shit when all you do all day long is checking the same sites and\or uploading GBs a day, when you dman well know you'll never ever download that much or downlaoding anything from them at all.

so its like noob--->expert,have it all--->fuck it, what am I doing?--->back to being a noob.

Cabalo
02-23-2010, 01:29 PM
now i just grab what i want when i want and save myself alot of time, and thats not all that much.

Same happened to me. That's why I moved to the newsgroups, peace of mind, easy and simple.
I still call myself an idiot for having spent money on seedboxes in the past. :frusty:

susiserken
02-23-2010, 01:32 PM
I just download stuff, and dont involv myself in e-drama :lol:

Quarterquack
02-23-2010, 05:22 PM
There is usually a time for any hobby you do, and then there is a time where you have to move on.

I'm sure in a couple of years you'll feel bored with what you do in your life, and tell your wife and kids that you need to start entertaining yourself with something new. Then you get a new job, and decide to allot more time to it by giving up your hobby, then a person at your new job invites you to something he wants you to do...

That's the whole point of life. If we're constantly stuck doing one thing, then you die incomplete. It's like going to the amusement park and playing one ride all day, sure you might enjoy it but you miss out on the chance to go on the other ones. If you're stuck on just torrenting, or just fencing, or just being a good fatherly figure, you never experience the rest of things in life. If you moved on, good for you. Put that new found spare time into something else.

:)

manuniac
02-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I've never come across all the bitchiness and crap i've heard goes on.
Basically i've got a few good trackers which I regularly use,but I don't get involved in forums apart from reading them.I find it works out brilliantly.
As for what you're saying,I wholeheartedly agree with everything you are saying.
A lot of people are drama queens,attention seekers or power freaks,and the web gives them a perfect outlet for these traits.And people actually encourage them by replying and starting a s**t storm.
So yeah good for you and I hope you find your life more fulfilling,and kids are a joy to watch growing up.

Cut-Copy-Paste
02-23-2010, 06:20 PM
There is usually a time for any hobby you do, and then there is a time where you have to move on.

I'm sure in a couple of years you'll feel bored with what you do in your life, and tell your wife and kids that you need to start entertaining yourself with something new. Then you get a new job, and decide to allot more time to it by giving up your hobby, then a person at your new job invites you to something he wants you to do...

never knew dat sitting infront of computer for hrs just 2 check various bt sites can be termed as a hobby.

1000possibleclaws
02-23-2010, 06:34 PM
well it came to that time in my life when i just had to move on. after co starting a scene grp and being involved with that for years, then moving to NG and now sacking off all my scene and NG stuff and doing the ultimate about face and using bittorrent only.

it all just becomes a bit infantile, uploading, seeding, all the bitching and moaning, begging for invites, now i just grab what i want when i want and save myself alot of time, and thats not all that much.

life just moves on, wife baby and that, just wondered if we all get to that stage at some point, or is it just me?

You could shed your woes here, your story sounds pretty interesting, there are some other good ones here as well:

If you could turn back the clock.. (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-if-you-could-turn-back-the-clock-391568)

captive
02-23-2010, 07:51 PM
I've never come across all the bitchiness and crap i've heard goes on.
Basically i've got a few good trackers which I regularly use,but I don't get involved in forums apart from reading them.I find it works out brilliantly.
As for what you're saying,I wholeheartedly agree with everything you are saying.
A lot of people are drama queens,attention seekers or power freaks,and the web gives them a perfect outlet for these traits.And people actually encourage them by replying and starting a s**t storm.
So yeah good for you and I hope you find your life more fulfilling,and kids are a joy to watch growing up.

nice comments, thx, especially as its from a fellow red.

now i just grab what i want when i want and save myself alot of time, and thats not all that much.

Same happened to me. That's why I moved to the newsgroups, peace of mind, easy and simple.
I still call myself an idiot for having spent money on seedboxes in the past. :frusty:

snap on the boxes, just why do i have a site with 500gb downloaded and 14.6tb uploaded???im paying for others to get what they want as quick as they what, to what end? just how stupid was i?
i cant even bring myself to log into the site anymore.
and i had my FTN account closed by an admin coz i wanted out, people would sell their mothers for an account there.lmfao.

stuff it all.just have my tl account now, thats it.

Quarterquack
02-23-2010, 08:19 PM
never knew dat sitting infront of computer for hrs just 2 check various bt sites can be termed as a hobby.

Never knew that proper grammar was not considered a necessity anymore.

Keep your witty comments to yourself, next time. :)

PancakeWaffles
02-23-2010, 10:47 PM
You just need to get a to a point where your happy, and be done with it all like I have. I have GFT, all ratioless so I don't have to give a care how much I seed. But GFT doesn't race music at all so I have SCC where all music is freeleech. That's all I need, nothing I deal with has ratio's any more or the worry of ratios. I also have IPT, TL, RevTT all of which I could care less what my ratio is, I just seed for the required hours and keep like a .8 ratio but that's ok, I don't need a ratio of 13.37.

I don't want super leet trackers, they offer no benefits besides a bigger e-peen, and honestly I don't care. I have trackers that race content in under 10 minutes, and they max out my home connection, nothing more is needed for me personally.

I have never spent a dime on torrents, never downloaded something just to seed it, and never traded an invite, but I enjoy the communities of torrent sites. Mostly in IRC and the people you meet in IRC can be mods from who knows what, and you can get invites to higher trackers without even asking almost. I don't spend any crazy large amount of time for torrents, I just check what new things were released recently and if I want it I grab it; and I hang out in IRC because it is nice because some torrent sites just have the greatest communities.

I am just happy where I am at, don't even bother to get higher trackers or seed to huge amounts, I just download what I want seed it for however long I keep it on my hard drive, and when I am done I just delete the file, and once in a while I clean out my utorrent of torrents missing files.

Chief_Garbonzo
02-24-2010, 06:14 AM
Good thread! I am kinda like you are.. Just not having the time or patience with certain online stuff anymore. I started out at age 12 on my Apple ][ E computer programming in BASIC, then got into a fun (at the time) warez scene on AOL back in the good ole days, then met IRC, spent 3 or 4 years in the scene, got in trouble hacking UC Berkley at age 17. Calmed down for a bit, moved to AZ for college, re-united with old scene friends, used FTPs, started getting on trackers late '04. Age 29, here I am. :P LOL

Within the last 5 years in the tracker world I have it seems lost daily time to be as active as I was. I still hop on my main 5 trackers every day and check releases and forums. I don't download nearly what I used to. Just what I really need or what I really know if Im going to listen to it or watch it. Not just to get it to collect or for the "maybe" list like I used to. lol. But life is moving quick, getting married this year, moving to a different state for a pHD program, probably kids in next 3 years.. I still am using my dedi server for seeding and leeching now, however I probably wont once im married and moving. I used to always login and make scripts and fine tune all the options to make it quick as can be, and have different auto add scripts running. Now I just have kinda lost the yearn, and other 'real life' tasks have taken over those time slots. I will in near future need to hop aboard a ratioless tracker so I can get what I need while im moving and life is changing because who knows how fast and what kinda internet I will be dealing with while on the road or in a new place. it could be out in the forest with a 56.k.. lol, I HOPE NOT!! heheh.

Uhh, I dunno if I kept on topic here...lol. I just kinda took the topic and ran with it. Kinda rambled it away.. heh heh :P

The_Martinator
02-24-2010, 07:33 AM
If you were into BT because of the leetness and uber ratios then I feel sorry for you. I'm not perfect, I have been affected by trackers' rarity, but it never went as far as me coughing up the dough just so I can have a leet enough ratio at a tracker in order to join a "better" one.

Good to hear you've moved on. Sharing ain't about speed, it's just about, well sharing.

P2PDog
02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Good to hear you've moved on. Sharing ain't about speed, it's just about, well sharing.

SO many people seem to have lost sight of that :(

Even back when I was foolish enough to pay for a seedbox I used to seed things for as long as I could, sometimes months. I can't say I completely regret paying for a seedbox either. Because of my shitty upload speeds, and competing with those with seedboxes, before I had one I used to have to resort to things like partially seeding torrents or downloading popular torrents that I didn't even want just to maintain a decent ratio. I now have enough buffer at most of the sites I use that I no longer have to resort to tricks to maintain a ratio. I can simply grab the content that I want regardless of how new or old the torrent is, and with no regard for how it will affect my ratio. Because I'm now grabbing less torrents overall, and only the things I really want, the advantage is that I can seed them longer, too.

As for people moving away from the BT scene, that's understandable. Lives change, sometimes there just isn't the spare time to devote to following the latest gossip, and it does seem to get boring after a while and really not worth dedicating a lot of time to.

sear
02-24-2010, 04:32 PM
There's nothing wrong with seedboxes in principle. I've never paid for one but they can be a lot of fun and it's great if you want to be an uploader somewhere which can be a very satisfying experience...plus you get to learn how servers work. Now if you're renting one just to build a 133T ratio well then there's something wrong with you...not the idea of a seedbox.

The_Martinator
02-24-2010, 05:30 PM
There's nothing wrong with seedboxes in principle. I've never paid for one but they can be a lot of fun and it's great if you want to be an uploader somewhere which can be a very satisfying experience...plus you get to learn how servers work. Now if you're renting one just to build a 133T ratio well then there's something wrong with you...not the idea of a seedbox.

I agree and just to be sure I wasn't aiming at the general idea of a seedbox. Getting things faster is a plus by itself, of course.

chrisbeebops
02-25-2010, 02:19 AM
My ISP has bandwidth limits and bittorrent seeking missiles, so paying $20-30/month for a shared server then FTPing stuff home is still worth it and cheaper than paying for cable tv, movies, etc.

whiteboy
02-25-2010, 02:43 AM
Thats why I switched back to NG. Leech it, delete it, move on.

Rart
02-25-2010, 02:50 AM
My ISP has bandwidth limits and bittorrent seeking missiles, so paying $20-30/month for a shared server then FTPing stuff home is still worth it and cheaper than paying for cable tv, movies, etc.

As whiteboy said, Newsgroups are a great option, especially if in your case, you're looking to download securely without your ISP sniffing at what you're doing. You can get a great provider for around ~10$ a month, far less than a seedbox, and can directly download to your PC through SSL (without the need for the extra step of getting it off your seedbox). A far cheaper way to retain some level of anonymity.

chrisbeebops
04-14-2010, 11:13 PM

As whiteboy said, Newsgroups are a great option, especially if in your case, you're looking to download securely without your ISP sniffing at what you're doing. You can get a great provider for around ~10$ a month, far less than a seedbox, and can directly download to your PC through SSL (without the need for the extra step of getting it off your seedbox). A far cheaper way to retain some level of anonymity.

Show me where I can find the What.cd level of selection and quality of Music on newsgroups, and I will switch.

Until then, I'll stick with a shared server and torrents.

Disme
04-15-2010, 08:20 AM
If you're somewhat normal you always come to a point that the OP is describing. Where you realise there's much more to life than torrenting. Some consider it a hobby, for some it's just downloading the things they want without getting involved, some get too involved and lose track of reality.

That's where all the e-drama comes from. People who don't realise the whole BT-world is a virtual one. It doesn't really matter what 'position' you have in the BT-world ... in real life it doesn't mean shit and will prolly never provide for your family or yourself.

I get my files, have some buddies that share the same interests, discuss on a few boards and that's about it. Nothing more, nothing less. Getting my files and having a good time meanwhile is all I really want.

No seedboxes here ... I have been able to use one from a buddy of mine in the past, but I never felt the necessity to build myself a humongous buffer just to be able to brag about it to others.

cherio
04-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Everyone eventually grows out of doing torrents. Nobody wants to be 40 and still torrenting.

much of everything to do with torrents; ratios, waiting for open signups, joining multiple trackers... is a waste of time in the end.

If you can afford a few bucks, its better to get an astraweb block and leech.

chrisbeebops
04-16-2010, 12:09 AM
OK still no one answered my question. Name any place I can get What.cd's quality and selection of music other than torrent site.

I can't name any place, whether for pay or pirating, that is as comprehensive and as high quality as What.cd. iTunes and such is nice but doesn't have any where near as much content as What.cd, don't sell lossless FLAC music, and restrict many purchases with DRM.

pentomato
04-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Everyone eventually grows out of doing torrents. Nobody wants to be 40 and still torrenting.

Really? Who said that you?

elbuitre
04-16-2010, 12:28 AM
i enjoy sharing files, not only getting files i want. for example, whenever i find music i enjoy, and i often find things that are not available on trackers, i like sharing it with other people. if you are into 'scene' files only though, then yeah, trackers are pretty much nonsense.

salahnasser
04-16-2010, 09:26 AM
i still call myself an idiot for having spent money on seedboxes in the past. :frusty:
+1

do u recommend a newsgroup or they r all the same? :)

cinephilia
04-16-2010, 11:18 AM

Show me where I can find the What.cd level of selection and quality of Music on newsgroups, and I will switch.

Until then, I'll stick with a shared server and torrents.
and i guess you will never find karagarga/cinematik selection either on newsgroups.

KushBlow
04-17-2010, 04:03 AM
I'm with you good sir, I'm currently only using 2 trackers these days and staying active there; fuck seedboxes and the e-drama, I just want to spend the few free hours I have at home downloading good shit and discussing what I enjoy.

Polarbear
04-17-2010, 04:59 AM
Torrents never get boring because free movies and music never get boring. I'm almost 40 and I still listen to music and watch movies. What a suprise.

What does get boring is to talk about it on forums.

Raban
04-18-2010, 01:02 PM
moving on ?? that doesnt even make sense to me... you make it sound like you can only have one or the other, not both.

i was in newsgroups long before i ever got into torrents... usenet has is pros and cons, but i dont see it as a replacement for torrents.

usenet is infested with viruses and spyware... it wasnt always like that but in recent years it is. if i want a small utility app you think i'm gonna download it off usenet ? not a chance. i would get it from SCC.

thats the thing with usenet there is no accountability. anyone can be a good guy or a bad guy ... any name/email can be forged. with torrents the uploader is held accountable.

also with usenet you lose the idea of things being "new" uploads. go to the main page of a scene torrent site and you can see everything that is new coming through. go to the main page of BCG and you can see all the new games..

go to the top of the list of alt.binaries.mom or alt.binaries.boneless and god only knows what you would get.. could be things from 2 years ago or from yesterday who knows.

so in conclusion I use both they each have good and bad ... also i highly recommend easynews cause they have the greatest web search interface.

captive
04-18-2010, 01:09 PM
i think its easy enough to find new stuff on NG.

Schrutastic
04-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Browsing a.b.boneless or a.b.mom to look for new things is retarded.