PDA

View Full Version : Metered vs Unmetered [Shared SB]

PerMaFrOsT
02-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Hello. I open this post with a survey to discuss which type of Shared Seedbox are better according experiences that we each have had. If someone is lost I will do a short description of each of the two elements that form the survey:

Shared SB Unmetered:

The parameter "Unmetered" tells us that the Seedbox we are using has no traffic limit. This type of Seedbox often comes with a specific limit on the simultaneous slots, but can also be unlimited.
Companies selling Unmetered Seedboxes: EpicServers, EpicSeeds, Seedbox.at, Seedbox.fr, Seedbox.me, SeedboxShare, Seedcafe, Seedhost, Seednet, Seedplace, SuperSeedbox, ThePirateBox, Whatbox, Fastsh, YourSeedbox, DediSeedbox, RapidPeer, Icyhost.
Shared SB Metered:

The parameter "Metered" tells us that the Seedbox we are using has traffic limit, it always affects the upload bandwidth that we can use, so everything that we download in Seedbox will not ount. Such Seedbox usually comes with unlimited simultaneous slots but can also be accompanied by a specific limit. Companies selling Metered Seedboxes: Leasetorrent, Feralhosting

Now that we have been clear about the concepts, I give you my opinion; According to the experiences I have accumulated over time, I think when sharing a SeedBox is always better to know clearly all the features of our product. I say this because many companies advertise their products with not limited traffic but then fail to deliver decent bandwidth to the user. If we add that sometimes the servers are shared between too many users and have unlimited slots, we end up with a SeedBox that itīs not going to be enough powerful to keep our RATIOS in high-level trackers such as TL, SCC, Waffles...

So my vote goes to the SB Shared Metered, as long as they achieve a good amount of monthly bandwidth at a good price, could be a very attractive product, it has a more limited use for large users (Those who occasionally abuse and donīt let the rest of users to have a good service) so they wonīt not appear or be shutdown quickly.

Waiting your opinions!

ca_aok
02-24-2010, 02:59 PM
I have a metered dedicated server (unshared) that has a 4TB/month limit. I never really notice it :)

TLwhore
02-24-2010, 04:15 PM
People seem to focus on the limits of metered boxes too much.. The good thing with metered boxes is its good quality bandwidth. On a 3tb limit box with OVH I have managed to push close to 8tb (thats up and down) as its only the upload that is out there network that counts towards that 3tb limit. So my vote will go for metered

PerMaFrOsT
02-25-2010, 04:36 PM
I have a metered dedicated server (unshared) that has a 4TB/month limit. I never really notice it :)

From Leaseweb?? They have a powerful network! I've seen growing up Unmetered option in the survey that some of you have voted, could you tell us how they behave your seedbox? How much traffic you can push up??

unoriginal
02-25-2010, 06:05 PM
I would rather have unmetered bandwidth instead. I can always swap old files for new files on my box. But I can't necessarily afford to buy extra upload capacity if my traffic gets shaped for the rest of the billing cycle.

PerMaFrOsT
02-26-2010, 09:55 PM
I would rather have unmetered bandwidth instead. I can always swap old files for new files on my box. But I can't necessarily afford to buy extra upload capacity if my traffic gets shaped for the rest of the billing cycle.

How much traffic you use monthly aprox??

phauk
02-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Ever heard of 95th percentile? I would choose metered over unmetered anyday as you know the bandwidth will be high priority, normally with decent peering/transit & good sla :)