PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Anti-Piracy Update Now Live

Darth Sushi
02-24-2010, 11:35 PM
http://media.bestofmicro.com/microsoft-pirate,Z-O-19428-1.jpgWindows 7 Anti-Piracy Update Now Live
February 24, 2010 by Marcus Yam

" New patch checks for more activation hacks.

Earlier this month (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-news-section-95/t-over-70-windows-7-rtm-cracks-to-be-tackled-by-microsoft-this-month-392816), we detailed that Microsoft was prepping a Windows 7 Update that would improve Windows Activation Technologies to detect more than 70 known and potentially dangerous activation exploits.

Those paying attention to their Windows Update will see that the patch KB971033 is now live. It's not explicitly named anything to do with Windows Activation Technologies, as it's simply termed as an "Update for Windows 7."

Microsoft previously pointed out that this update is completely voluntary and users can decline the update when it appears (though we can't imagine why legitimate users would worry). Of course, if a hack or exploit is found, Windows 7 will alert the user by removing the desktop background and pop up periodic reminders of just how non-genuine it is feeling. "

:source: Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-activation-hacks-cracks,9739.html

Kyorisu
02-25-2010, 10:13 AM
It's not explicitly named anything to do with Windows Activation TechnologiesNo it isn't but when you click on it and read the details it explicitly mentions what it is. The support link leads here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971033.

I would hope people read about what an update does before trusting it.

BawA
02-25-2010, 12:48 PM
voluntary ? then whom the heck this update is made for?
i smell dusttrap.

Mee2
02-25-2010, 02:41 PM
we have several PCs from Dell at work that got that non-genuine message. M$ are being assholes about it... like most anti-piracy crap from M$.. this will sometimes break your PC..

slaughterads
02-25-2010, 07:59 PM
microsoft continues with their 10 y/o conversion tactic? repeat "please" until goal accomplished. Hey it 'works' for the UN right?

oh yeah not huh

thanks microsoft.. after XP I'm moving to OSX

stuff your DRM in an I/O orifice

technobob
02-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Good thing I ditched that piece of crap last week and went back to XP. I only use windows on my HTPC I'm a Mac OSX user. It's only function is to deliver media and TV but I spent most of my time fixing issues. If I had OSX drivers for my TV tuners I'd turn the HTPC into a Hackintosh (Mac clone).

@ slaughterads

Good choice you'll love OSX. I converted when the first Intel version came out and I have not looked back.

nobody2100
02-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Good thing I ditched that piece of crap last week and went back to XP. I only use windows on my HTPC I'm a Mac OSX user. It's only function is to deliver media and TV but I spent most of my time fixing issues. If I had OSX drivers for my TV tuners I'd turn the HTPC into a Hackintosh (Mac clone).

@ slaughterads

Good choice you'll love OSX. I converted when the first Intel version came out and I have not looked back.

You should try Ubuntu with Mediacenter Software like Boxee or xbmc. Install netatalk and you can use Bonjour to broadcast your ubuntu box in the network using the Apple File Protocol making things so much smoother than i was able to get it using windows

megabyteme
02-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Don't you dare touch my desktop background, Windows. :errm:

technobob
02-27-2010, 06:35 PM

@ slaughterads

You should try Ubuntu with Mediacenter Software like Boxee or xbmc. Install netatalk and you can use Bonjour to broadcast your ubuntu box in the network using the Apple File Protocol making things so much smoother than i was able to get it using windows

I would switch to Linux but I have 2 reasons I can't. The main problem is finding a Canadian EPG to use I've never been able to find one. I use Snapstream BeyondTV because it will auto compress the recordings to Divx so I can transfer them to my laptop to use at work. If I could fix those two issues I would switch, I've been really wanting to get rid of Microcrap from my life all together.

Appzalien
02-27-2010, 06:56 PM
A little tid bit you might find interesting is MS already did one of these on Vista (KB940510). It was aimed at OEM fixed XP installs. At the time (and still am) I was running BIE's version of Vista SP1 64 bit and the KB did not show up in its critical download list, just in the 32 bit version I suppose. So my BIE version survived even SP2 without being discovered, but I don't know about BIE's 32 bit version I never ran it.

The point being BIE's Win 7 versions may be the way to go if you can't afford it right now, and 64 bit ultimate may be less targeted than the 32 bit version. Who Knows?

Tv Controls you
02-28-2010, 06:18 AM
These updates are a joke, I just turned all my updates off.

Go to hell microsoft lol.

phauk
02-28-2010, 05:11 PM
These updates are a joke, I just turned all my updates off.

Go to hell microsoft lol.

Lmao, well said.

I go through all my updates with a toothcomb, just to make sure I know exactly what everything is going to do.

I don't use win7, piece of s**t in my eyes, and I much prefer XP. In my opinion, it's just going to be another failed attempt like vista - but if I did switch to 7, i'm sure I would be doing exactly what the man said above ^

mr. nails
02-28-2010, 05:28 PM
does anyone know if this affects vista?

senegal
02-28-2010, 05:47 PM
It could be!

clocker
02-28-2010, 05:49 PM
I go through all my updates with a toothcomb...
You comb your teeth?
Many folks today prefer dentistry but since that was apparently invented after XP, I can see why you may be unaware of it.

Bet you really miss the control offered by DOS, don't you?

phauk
02-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I go through all my updates with a toothcomb...
You comb your teeth?
Many folks today prefer dentistry but since that was apparently invented after XP, I can see why you may be unaware of it.

Bet you really miss the control offered by DOS, don't you?

Let me guess, you grew up in the south and married your cousin? Read up on English Literature, or read the definition of a common business phrase in a dictionary...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fine-tooth+comb

DOS? hrmm, maybe you are a sheep and like following the masses, but i'd rather use a commodore 64.

Your post mate me laugh mate, some hick trying to talk to me about dentistry when his full family don't have a full set of teeth between them, then waffle about dos (when bill gates bought a dos disk for $50 and is now the richest man in the world) - it makes me laugh..

lee551
02-28-2010, 10:15 PM
retarded me accidentally let this go through on one of my machines. :frusty:

does anyone know if you can uninstall that specific windows update or a way to patch it now.

clocker
02-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Yup, I may be an inbred, toothless Southerner but I'm not a moran.
Had you actually written "fine tooth comb" your little screed would make sense but you didn't, so, much like the rest of your reply, it's nonsense.

After you finish laughing perhaps you should bone up on your "English Literature".

Baa.

phauk
03-01-2010, 12:20 AM
moran.

I think what you meant to say was 'moron'

To think you have the cheek to say to me about english literature.. lol

clocker
03-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Oy vey.

Tv Controls you
03-01-2010, 03:57 AM
I used to use a toothcomb a while ago, back when I used dos.
It was a while ago...

http://www.brookston.org/pix/comb-teeth.jpg

Sporkk
03-01-2010, 05:48 AM
I received a "this windows is not genuine" message in the lower right hand corner of my screen without the update. I used a real home premium disc to install and the open 7 activator for the key. It also reported that I have a slic 2.1 bios. My reason for using the activator is because I changed hardware and am now locked out of my key. When I tried to reset I could not get through to a rep.

Since they detected the crack i installed the update anyway and now I have black wallpaper with a popup that told me my windows in not genuine.

At this point I am tempted to completely wipe windows and go with ubuntu.

Cabalo
03-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Quick question: any of you using a x64 version was affected?

I did all the updates, ALL, and no problems at all after 3 reboots.

Using some BIE version + removeWAT.

clocker
03-01-2010, 06:09 AM
What hardware did you change that triggered the lockout?
I've never had that happen and I've never been turned down for activation by a MS rep.

Cabalo
03-01-2010, 06:11 AM
What hardware did you change that triggered the lockout?
I've never had that happen and I've never been turned down for activation by a MS rep.

I had such a problem on Vista x64. When I added an harddisk, though I didn't touch the one with the SO, neither changed it from SATA port, anything.

clocker
03-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Using some BIE version + removeWAT.
Exactly what I have.

I made a vLite copy and told it not to download updates during or right after install.
After it was up I manually went to Update and hid 1033 (which, oddly enough, is optional at this point) and got everything else.
Works fine.

lee551
03-01-2010, 08:15 AM
The Win 7 Loader 1.7.7 didn't seem to do anything for me, but I applied RemoveWAT to my BIE install and it fixed the problem.

Tv Controls you
03-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm just running the December BIE 64 bit Windows 7 version with nothing special added.
I have not been forced to update yet, at which point if I ever see an update I'll pull the plug lol.

Someone mentioned in another thread that updates are pretty much pointless.
I have came to realize that he is sort of correct, as I have never benefited by an update ever.

Yes some patch security hole and etc. but I have a firewall with antispy/antivirus... And I don't use any windows utilities (media center, media player, internet explorer etc.)
I will post here if I have any issues, but I plan to stay without updates until my computer is dying for a reformat (about 6-8 months of use lol).

Cabalo
03-01-2010, 04:16 PM
You just heard me and clocker saying you can do whatever updates you want so far, so why are you worried? We're not lying, it works flawlessly.

Tv Controls you
03-01-2010, 08:55 PM
You just heard me and clocker saying you can do whatever updates you want so far, so why are you worried? We're not lying, it works flawlessly.

I believe you both, but I was trying to say its not even worth the hassle to enable updates.
Because one day you may download an update that has you rebooting every 2 hours for a pirated version.

I mean really what can happen negatively to me for not downloading their updates?

Cabalo
03-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Well, security updates. The name speaks for itself. It corrects vulnerabilities.
I will always install those without a blink.

Xiomax
03-26-2010, 05:56 PM
pfff im still having trouble activating windows xp. As long as there is software it can be hacked.