PDA

View Full Version : Fst irc

A
02-28-2010, 04:32 AM
Is there one? Or else an IRC for FST would be cool.What Say? :naughty:

fairtrader
02-28-2010, 04:58 AM
No, forum and irc are counter-productive.

A
02-28-2010, 05:04 AM
No, forum and irc are counter-productive.
O'rely? Care to explain?

Quarterquack
02-28-2010, 05:05 AM
Then allow me to suggest a java chat applet? :)

Artemis
02-28-2010, 05:11 AM
Truesounds was interested in getting an irc chan up and going awhile ago, but the idea has been left up in the air. If enough members were interested, he may revisit the concept.
One issue though is that the staff are busy enough with the forum without having to IRCop a chan as well.

1000possibleclaws
02-28-2010, 05:37 AM
Yeah I dunno, I haven't really made any progress on this. If an official 'FST' irc ever gets made, it's not gonna be till well into the summer, if ever at all.

I think there are alot of issues and complications associated with an public irc channel that would also adhere to fst's rules. While having an open bitorrent channel for anybody and everybody would be a nice niche to fill, I'm having my own doubts whether it should be linked to FST in any way, and whether I'd want the responsibility behind it all when it likely turns into a means for calling people out and copy-pasting drama. In other words, don't cross your fingers on this.

A
02-28-2010, 06:21 AM
hmmm in depth complications :mellow:.Is it security issues you talking about Truesounds?.nontheless an irc sure will be fun especially with FSTers.

karachidude
02-28-2010, 06:41 AM
i think an IRC channel,might decrease the number of posts on FST,the forum is pretty set in its ways..but what do i know :)

1000possibleclaws
02-28-2010, 06:45 AM
Not concerned with security as much as coding bots and all that to censor the stuff we censor, bots to deal with spammers and spam ads, all that jazz. I don't know, that stuff can be overcome but I don't have much time atm, and I might be too lazy to learn it all when I do have the time..

There are other complications, for example I don't want to burden anyone to IRCop the chan that doesn't want to, because it's a selfless job. Most active members here are not interested or do not use irc as much, and staff here certainly to not use/ do not have the time to maintain the channel.

I'm sure it would be fun, and hopefully I will have the motivation to get it organized over the summer, since I might have more time, and I think the forum in general picks up a bit around that time as well. I heard there was a Soulseek chatroom once upon a time, and I think that would be a hell of a lot easier than irc cause there is no maintenance. Don't know how many torrenters use Slsk though.

A
02-28-2010, 06:46 AM
i think an IRC channel,might decrease the number of posts on FST,the forum is pretty set in its ways..but what do i know
Forums are places where we can discuss matters in a more organised manner. But IRC is a place just to hangout and have fun also chat with people in real time :naughty:

EDIT:
Its nice to hear positive response and a glimmer of hope :P.Its correct the mods wont have time but if they are active in forums all day they can just idle in IRC and have some fun too.If you want dedicated and active members to moderate the IRC,I am sure there are many people who would love to do that.Maybe if you ever think of setting up an IRC start a thread and you maybe suprised in the numbers you get from the people who are willing to dedicate their time :D

/me already sees lots of leg pulling and sarcasms flowing around :D

Cabalo
02-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Giving the power of IRC to regular users would only bring additional trouble to the moderation team. This is a fact.
Whatever is said there, the staff is considered part of the mechanism who makes things happen, and they would be asked more often than not why certain things were said there.
As this is not a private site, people wouldn't care if they get banned there or not, as they would return and do the same shit over and over. In trackers, where your irc nick is linked to your user account, people are more often than not artificially nice to each other in order to obtain some perks along the way. Here that wouldn't happen.

Besides, this forum isn't about being banhammer happy, it takes quite a lot to get booted off the board, a lot more than at any tracker forum you can imagine of. Sooner or later there would be abuses on the IRC which could reflect on the user's board account, and again it would have to be the mods to deal with it.
So, honestly I don't see much of a chance of that happening, unless the staff has time to patrol an IRC channel, which at least for me, don't count me in. I hate IRC with a passion.

A
02-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Giving power to normal users is havoc indeed.But giving power to people who are handpicked by staff makes the matter a little more simple.Reading your thread the possibility of shit wars to start is high because the user has nothing to lose here.Maybe allow people only with 2 stars and above to enter irc,like this if someone is banned he must make 100 more posts with his new account to get into irc again.link the users account in FST and in IRC like Warez-bb does.something like that.Just my opinion

Rart
02-28-2010, 04:55 PM
This has been discussed before here:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-to-the-board-9/t-shoutboxirc-367827

The general consensus seems to be that it was tried before in the past, but there wasn't much activity as not many people actually used it.

anon
02-28-2010, 04:58 PM
You want to chat with other FSTers? Create a room at Tinychat.com.

tesco
02-28-2010, 05:05 PM
http://tinychat.com/filesharingtalk

Cabalo
02-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Checking it out...

QPD
02-28-2010, 05:43 PM
niiice!

A
03-01-2010, 02:48 AM
hehe thread can be closed.Majority dosent like the idea of irc it seems.

Cabalo
03-01-2010, 04:26 AM
No, leave it open for now.
You never know, some interesting suggestions might be given meanwhile.

Slickerey
03-01-2010, 03:01 PM

It's dead in there. :unsure:

If you do end up making an IRC server for FST, what you should do is look for a couple of members that are willing to contribute their time to help moderate the IRC and whatnot. You may and/or may not have to go through the process of training them, but that only depends on the level of knowledge they have with IRC.

The real question here is: do FST's users want an IRC server or not?

I personally believe that we should open up a poll and let FST's users decide this time. :happy:

1000possibleclaws
03-01-2010, 03:25 PM
I personally believe that we should open up a poll and let FST's users decide this time. :happy:

Well either way it's likely not to happen. I wouldn't want to make a poll to hype something that you guys will never see. I'd rather wait until it's somewhat ready, and then see if you guys would use one.

P2PDog
03-01-2010, 03:26 PM

That's NOT IRC... not even a close imitation.

If you do end up making an IRC server for FST, what you should do is look for a couple of members that are willing to contribute their time to help moderate the IRC and whatnot. You may and/or may not have to go through the process of training them, but that only depends on the level of knowledge they have with IRC.

The real question here is: do FST's users want an IRC server or not?

I'd vote for that :)

anon
03-01-2010, 04:34 PM

Should have joined it when tesco posted. :happy:

tesco
03-01-2010, 11:18 PM
That's NOT IRC... not even a close imitation.

Who said it was?:blink:

The_Martinator
03-02-2010, 05:46 PM
IRC is for fags anyway (and I don't mean cigarettes).

But if it were made I'm sure it would be quite active along with all the things Cabalo mentioned and probably more.

IdolEyes787
03-09-2010, 01:51 PM

But if it were made I'm sure it would be quite active along with all the things Cabalo mentioned and probably more.

Recently posted on FST irc

>Martin is a fag
>lol
>Yeah and by fag I don't mean cigarette
>lol
>........
>boogers
>lol

Cabalo
03-09-2010, 03:40 PM

Recently posted on FST irc

>Martin is a fag
>lol
>Yeah and by fag I don't mean cigarette
>lol
>........
>boogers
>lol

LOL. Good example of a typical IRC convo. (not talking about martin, but about the general contents).

IdolEyes787
08-14-2010, 05:08 PM
LOL. Good example of a typical IRC convo. (not talking about martin, but about the general contents).

No that's pretty much what every IRC conversation is about .
You think people would get sick of it after a while and settle on something else to talk about besides Martin and his sexual preferences but I guess everyone just finds it fascinating..:idunno: