PDA

View Full Version : Blocked Addys In Sygate

MusicChick
10-21-2003, 07:59 AM
I was looking through the Traffic Log on my Sygate Firewall and I noticed that there were alot of addresses being blocked that were in the range of my isp. (btw my isp is a small local one, not a big provider.) Anyway, alot of the addresses were blocked while I had Kazza Lite running, but a few of the addresses were blocked also while I didn't have it running. I don't know much about how firewalls work but the Direction on them were incoming and were ICMP Protocol. The rule name on them was block all. I updated my firewall with the latest ranges, but I highly doubt my little bitty provider would be one of those ranges. I just now noticed as I read it again that there was a lot of addys being blocked in that range and I don't have anything running! I have a few questions.

What qualifies for a firewall to block an address?

Why would it block addresses in my isp's range?

What does ICMP mean?

Could my isp be blocking Kazza?

also, I backtraced some of the addys and the organization name and such was in another state, although it was the range of my isp. I guess my isp uses that organization or whatever since they are very small. Sorry I have no idea about how isp's work. :blink:

Does someone understand this and can help me? :(

MUSLEMAN
10-21-2003, 08:28 AM
icmp=Internet Control Message Protocol

what ranges did you put in your firewall??

how many files do you share?? sometimes even after you close klite you still get hits for users that want your files

MusicChick
10-21-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@21 October 2003 - 02:28
what ranges did you put in your firewall??

how many files do you share?? sometimes even after you close klite you still get hits for users that want your files
The Ranges I put in were from the methlab website, which has the ranges for all the different firewalls.

I'm sharing about 400 files but no one was downloading from me when I closed Kazza Lite.

Why would there be blocks from my isp range?

MUSLEMAN
10-21-2003, 09:18 AM
i dont use metalab they have all kinds of bs ranges in there take them out and use our update list, with metalab i think a while back one of our members ip was in there and you can imagin if he had a file you couldn't get it for no reason

MusicChick
10-21-2003, 09:27 AM
You mean the list that's in C:/Program Files/Kazaa Lite/Banned Ips?

MUSLEMAN
10-21-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by MusicChick@21 October 2003 - 05:27
You mean the list that's in C:/Program Files/Kazaa Lite/Banned Ips?
yes but first update you ipblocker in klite but not from pg so the list will change to our list of ip ranges

Triadcool
10-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Its pretty normal seeing a lot of addys blocked with sygate or any other firewall. The other day my firewall hit 300,000 blocked addys after installing it a month ago.