PDA

View Full Version : How to show a video screencast of your Speedtest [No Download Required]

slim150
03-06-2010, 02:54 AM
About:
This is a guide on how to create a video screencast of running a speedtest on your computer. This is much more reliable than a simple screenshot for people that require one for BT invites. It is also free and non-intrusive (no download required, its simply a java app)

This uses ScreenToaster http://www.screentoaster.com, a website that allows you to capture your screen to make videos and subsequently host them on their site or youtube.

Example of a Speedtest:
http://www.screentoaster.com/watch/stWEJcS0dIR19YSFleWFtZU1BX/fst_demo_st

Guide:

1. Before starting, open up notepad and type in your username or phrase to identify yourself(used later).

2. Go to speedtest.net in your browser, but do not run it yet. In a new tab also go to screentoaster.com

3. Click "Start Recording". This will load a java app (allow it to run).

4. Important Before pressing the Record button, on the settings section of the foreground window..change the pull down that says "Full Desktop" to "Rectangular Area"

5. Doing step 4 makes a black rectangular box appear. Click into the speedtest tab and expand the rectangle across the speedtest window BUT making sure not to include the area that displays your external IP address.

6. Go back into the screentoaster tab and press the record button. After a countdown you are recording!

7. Drag your notepad (from step 1) into view of the rectangle for a second or two to show who you are and then proceed to minimize it.

8. Tab into speedtest and run your test. When finished go back into screentoaster and stop recording.

9. On the new screentoaster page click on "upload to screenToaster". Give it a name and change Privacy to Private.

10. Press Upload (here you will either have to login or do a very quick register)

11. When it finishes it directs you to the link that you can hand hand out.

Thats it! Its pretty easy to do I think.

Cabalo
03-06-2010, 03:50 AM
Great job.
Will add this as a link on my thread "How to do a proper giveaway".

anon
03-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Great work. :)

Shouldn't this be in the Tutorials section?

QPD
03-06-2010, 04:50 PM
I am offering to sell My speedtest ( 50 MB full duplex ) price : 10 EUR/username

*** THIS IS A JOKE AND YOU SHOULD ACT LIKE IT'S FUNNY***

anon
03-06-2010, 04:52 PM

rofl, etc.

QPD
03-06-2010, 04:56 PM

rofl, etc.

Thank you Anon!

Now seriously, in my opinion this will not increase the security of a blind giveaway.

anon
03-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Now seriously, in my opinion this will not increase the security of a blind giveaway.

It will prevent total lamers from using stolen speedtests - if they can read, of course.

QPD
03-06-2010, 05:02 PM
A new class of sellers will rise! Speedtest seller

anon
03-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Just when I thought I had seen everything... and you would be a pioneer in the matter. :happy:

QPD
03-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Nope.:ermm:

Villalltheway
03-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I always been sceptical of speed tests, just because u have fast speeds dont mean u gonna be a good member of any site.

waeldiab
03-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Thank you

pakito
04-11-2010, 08:03 PM
I always been sceptical of speed tests, just because u have fast speeds dont mean u gonna be a good member of any site.

100% agree

And the speedtest FAIL sometimes. More accurate are data from router.