PDA

View Full Version : Look What I Got From My Isp!

X-Nemesis
10-21-2003, 03:03 PM
I downloaded Italian job form Suprnova.org using shadow's bittorrent experimental. And on Oct. 17 I got this from my isp:

What's going on...is Suprnova unsafe to use anymore? Any ideas at what I should do?

The Golden Triangle Abuse Team has received a complaint indicating that someone, using your login, was connected to the Internet via a Golden Triangle connection and offering access to 1 or more copyright files. Relevants details from the complaint are included below. If there are copyright materials available via your computer, we request you take action to prevent further complaints from arriving.

Such copyright material will usually be available via a peer to peer file sharing program like Kazaa, Bearshare or Bit Torrent and it is possible that you may not know it is there. If you are running one of these programs and do not know how to move or delete files, then it would be advisable for you to uninstall it in add/remove programs in your control panel.

To protect your identity, we recommend that you do not disseminate this information in any manner. Golden.net has not shared your personal information with the complainant or any other party in regard to this Notice.

Thank you for your consideration. Please reply to this message so we know it has been read and understood.

Regards,
Greg Mossman
Policy Administrator
Golden Triangle Online
[email protected]

AUP: http://aup.golden.net

*********** BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE ***********

On 10/17/2003 at 11:54 AM paramount-pictures wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Golden Triangle On Line
279 King St. W. Third Floor

Notice Date:10 Oct 2003 19:45:46 GMT

Dear Sir or Madam:

BayTSP, Inc. ("BayTSP") swears under penalty of perjury that Paramount Pictures Corporation ("Paramount") has authorized BayTSP to act as its agent for copyright infringement notification. BayTSP's search of the protocol listed below has detected infringements of Paramount's copyright interests on your IP addresses as detailed in the attached report.

BayTSP has reasonable good faith belief that use for the material in the manner complained of in the attached report is not authorized by Paramount, its agents, or the law. The information provided herein is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Therefore, this letter is an official notification under provisions of section 512© of the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act to effect removal of the detected infringement listed in the attached report. The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, the Universal Copyright Convention, as well as bilateral treaties with other countries allow for protection of client's copyrighted work even beyond U.S. borders. The attached documentation specifies the exact location of the infringement. The Notice ID identifies the copyrighted works by file identification number.

We hereby request that you immediately remove or block access to the
infringing material, as specified in the copyright laws, and insure the user refrains from using or sharing with others Paramount's materials in the future.

Please send us a prompt response indicating the actions you have taken to resolve this matter. Please reference the Notice ID number above in your response.

Nothing in this letter shall serve as a waiver of any rights or remedies of Paramount with respect to the alleged infringement, all of which are expressly reserved. Should you need to contact me, I may be reached at the following address:

Mark Ishikawa
Chief Executive Officer
BayTSP, Inc.

Infringed Work: Italian Job, The
Infringing FileName: The.Italian.Job.DVDRiP.XViD-DEiTY
Infringing FileSize: 1468203209
Protocol: BitTorrent
Infringers IP Address:
Infringer's User Name: None
Infringement Timestamp: 10 Oct 2003 08:24:24 GMT

*********** END FORWARDED MESSAGE ***********

Xanex
10-21-2003, 03:31 PM
If this is true looks like you got "Stung" the isp person running the tracker or using Bittorrent has found your IP address when you connected and reported you.

Companys frequently do this. If they are offering the file itself this is known as a "Honey Trap" and its legality is in deep question as it boarders on the limits of entrapment.

Or they are just downloading the file at the same time and seeing who is also and then reporting them to their isp.

Not much you can do but run an IPBlocker to refuse connections.

Oh and pleed ignorance, not much they can do as they have to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Xan

vivitron 15
10-21-2003, 03:35 PM
if the isp asks for a reply, id ring them and say "but i dont know whats happening...i only use the connection for emailing photos to my mates and stuff....im worried about this, cos i havent done anything wrong, and i wouldnt want to be cut off through some companies mistakes...i mean what is your policy about this?...."

and then youll know where you stand...if they have a 2 strikes and youre out, then change isp, otherwise keep sharing.

james_bond_rulez
10-21-2003, 03:49 PM
is your connection pppoe?

you have to "log in" to use your broadband?

X-Nemesis
10-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Got a reply from my isp:

You should probably run through the following information and make sure your computer is secure. Also check add/remove programs in the control panel and make sure no programs are running that you didn't install.

The policy is copyright file sharing isn't sanctioned, given that it's not legal. The procedure is to deal with each case on an individual basis and we don't terminate people without at least a few separate complaints. When mitigating factors are involved, such as a compromised computer, that is taken into consideration of course.

Don't worry about your account. Do follow through with the security process below though.

What do you think?

X-Nemesis
10-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Yes I have to log in.

toddiscool
10-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by X-Nemesis@21 October 2003 - 11:34
Got a reply from my isp:

You should probably run through the following information and make sure your computer is secure. Also check add/remove programs in the control panel and make sure no programs are running that you didn't install.

The policy is copyright file sharing isn't sanctioned, given that it's not legal. The procedure is to deal with each case on an individual basis and we don't terminate people without at least a few separate complaints. When mitigating factors are involved, such as a compromised computer, that is taken into consideration of course.

Don't worry about your account. Do follow through with the security process below though.

What do you think?
Well they make it quite obvious that they do not want to terminate your account for filesharing, that i why you have the account, they know that. The are required to forward this warning to you though. I cant really tell not to worry about it at all, but I want to.

james_bond_rulez
10-21-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by X-Nemesis@21 October 2003 - 16:35
Yes I have to log in.
wow that sucks

why not use cable where u can get an ip address like that.

make it more difficult for ur isp to track u

also did you change the port for bittorent?

if not you should.

well if ur isp put things so plainly you should probably follow their advice and stop sharing.

or you can just switch another isp altogether

bad luck huh

Xanex
10-21-2003, 08:15 PM
#From what I know about BT you cant change the port number, at least not with the official 3.3 release, i havent seen another client that is up to date that provides this option

#It sounds like your ISP is playing dumb and giving you the benefit of the doubt, hence they said

we don't terminate people without at least a few separate complaints. When mitigating factors are involved, such as a compromised computer, that is taken into consideration of course.

Dont worry about, keep sharing, beef up your pc security with a ip blocker and relax, if you get another letter then you might want to take a break from filesharing for a bit, step outta the lime light so to speak, then when it all cools off go back to it, companys rotate their searching for copyright breaches, if your ip range has had a lot of traffic then they will watch it more.

get a 3rd party fire wall like norton internet security or sygate or zonealarm, ( i dont like za personally but dont want to be called a norton fan boy either =) )

peace out

Xan

X-Nemesis
10-21-2003, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the reply's all of you. Xanex, where would I get an ipblocker? Is it just an executable I'd install? Are you talking about peerguardian? Does that work with programs like Bittorrent and DC++? I've read in other threads that peerguardian really doesn't work and that if people wanted to find out your ip and stuff that they can still do it even with peerguardian installed and running. :ph34r:

crkr
10-22-2003, 01:29 AM
Yes Peer Guardian works with torrent - remember to keep updating it.

anything is better than nothing

I had a silmilar e-mail from AOl sayng Buisness Software Alliance had made a complaint about sharing Norton Internet 2003, that file was d/l on k-lite

I have stopped d/l for a couple of weeks - installed peer guardian and am switching Isp

Crkr