PDA

View Full Version : Data Protection

shn
10-21-2003, 05:18 PM
Im looking for a program that can password protect a cd-r or encrypt it. I know I could use winrar or something to compress and password protect, but I also know that you can crack the password protected winrar archives as well. So I need something a little more secure. I heard there was a program called "cd protector or dukes cd protector" but I could not find it.

Any Ideas?

Thanks ;)

james_bond_rulez
10-21-2003, 05:55 PM
there is no such program

best thing to do is to burn the cd and dont lose it or let it fall to others' hands

best protection u'll ever get

ghost944
10-21-2003, 06:01 PM
you can get encription for audio cd's so it only works in a hi-fi and when you try to put it in your comp it cant read the disk, it will keep trying to read the disk, make explorer crash and you have to reboot to get the cd out of the tray, it is a good protection i used to use it when i was selling rare cd's on eBay ;)

shn
10-21-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@21 October 2003 - 11:55
there is no such program

best thing to do is to burn the cd and dont lose it or let it fall to others' hands

best protection u'll ever get
After some searching I found that there are many programs of such.

The problem now is deciding which one, out of the many, I should use :rolleyes:

muchspl2
10-21-2003, 08:43 PM
how, you can password protect the cd from use of other people just playing it, but if you give me a password protected disk, ill just make a image of in and remove the password headers and view you "secure" files
what are you trying to protect, music, video, software?
easiest/ hardest would be just to winrar it with a long password thats not a common word that has #'s and letters

shn
10-21-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@21 October 2003 - 14:43
how, you can password protect the cd from use of other people just playing it, but if you give me a password protected disk, ill just make a image of in and remove the password headers and view you "secure" files
what are you trying to protect, music, video, software?
easiest/ hardest would be just to winrar it with a long password thats not a common word that has #'s and letters
Its not music or movies its data. Documents etc. And some important data at that. The disk will be changing a lot of hands and in case it is lost then there wont be a need to worry.

muchspl2 "but if you give me a password protected disk, ill just make a image of in and remove the password headers and view you "secure" files"

A little more than what I had in mind, but would you care to elaborate on how you could do something like that? What do password headers have to do with making an image of the disk. I dont think doing that would make you any more succesful in reading secure files on the disk.

Btw what are password headers? :huh: In the sense of what your talking about here.

4play
10-21-2003, 09:04 PM
cant you just encrypt the data say with pgp :)

muchspl2
10-21-2003, 09:05 PM
again your best bet would be to rar it with a long password that includes letters and numbers

shn
10-21-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by 4play@21 October 2003 - 15:04
cant you just encrypt the data say with pgp :)
exactly 4 play. Thats one of the options I have and probably the best one. All I have to do is give the other people the private key.

asmithz
10-21-2003, 11:31 PM
Why dont you aiz the files and put a password on it. If your making an iso then i dont know.

4play
10-21-2003, 11:33 PM
then again you have the problem that none of your mates have pgp and would not have a clue how to use it in the first place.

why is this data so precious?

a good zip file with a rather long alpha numeric key is also an acceptable option if your mates dont know much about computers and its only a few personal documents.

the chances are theses people will place this info on there computer and leave it there in an un-encrypted form anyway.

it is also said that compressing your files before you encrypt them with pgp is also a good idea but that is just plain parnoid. <_<

Wizzandabe
10-21-2003, 11:40 PM
why is this data so precious?

Ho-made pron film :P

Cant you just copy the .TMP files off a protected cd, and go. ?

libertyordeath
10-22-2003, 12:08 AM
well i dont know about winrar&#39;s protections but winzips are very hard to crack even in old forms like they said use a long password with # and stuff plus winzip 9.0 beta has 256 bit AES encryption avalible so encrypt it and try to crack it yourself man just see hwo secure it is but there is also

Link one (http://www.encryptx.com/products/securdatastor.asp)
Link 2 (http://www.necrocosm.com/ppscd/index.html)
LInk 3 (http://www.jetico.com/)

sparsely
10-22-2003, 12:53 AM
Yeah. I&#39;d go for the password-protected archive file, myself.
Honestly, I think that (generally speaking )people overestimate the amount of interest outside entities have in reading their
private information, or exploiting their data.

abu_has_the_power
10-22-2003, 12:56 AM
dude, stegnos security suite can do wat ur trying to do&#33;&#33; theres a mobile encryption thingy, and u have to enter a password to access the stuff on the cd. dl it from suprnova...

sparsely
10-22-2003, 01:06 AM
^^
wow.
That&#39;s dumb.

shn
10-22-2003, 02:49 AM
There is financial data, credit card numbers, account numbers, pin numbers, etc of not only my personal info but others info as well, also legal documents.

They are familiar with pgp so I think Ill use that.