PDA

View Full Version : Help... Me

mondaeo
10-21-2003, 05:48 PM
i didnt know if this topis was supposed to be in the lounge but i put it in anyway...

im tryin to format my computer and iv never done it before... i have windows ME but not the cd for it, although i have a windows 98 disk, i have made a startup disk for it though. apparently you need MS-DOS to format the computer and my computer seems to be hiding it from me and wont give it to me!

can anybody help me as i am about to put an angry fist through the screen

JONNO_CELEBS
10-21-2003, 05:51 PM
So your puter is happy or keeps making passes at you? :blink:

Jonno B)

NikkiD
10-21-2003, 05:55 PM
Moving this to software world.

ghost944
10-21-2003, 06:04 PM
so do you want steps to help you install win98?

Virtualbody1234
10-21-2003, 06:06 PM
Create as 'Startup diskette'.

Start>Control Panel>Add Remove Programs>Startup diskette tab> Create diskette.

Insert the startup diskette and reboot. You will get to the DOS prompt where you can format from there.

I'm not sure if I show all the steps as it's been a long time since I've used Win9x. :x

ghost944
10-21-2003, 06:13 PM
if you want win98 on your sys and have a startup disk follow these steps

reboot with win 98 startup disk in the floppy in the drive,
at the a: prompt type fdisk to make you partitions press yes or no at the prompt dependin on what you want file system you want.
(y=Fat32 n=Fat16 Fat 16 can only see as far as 2gb partitions)
reboot at the a: prompt type format c: /s and follow the steps when it has finished formating,
at the a: prompt again make sure the win98 cd rom is in the drive and type setup.exe and follow the steps to install win98. ;) ;)

mondaeo
10-21-2003, 06:30 PM
cheers for all this guys but i know all this... iv got winME installed on here but my uncle has stolen the cd for it... i have a copied win98 cd and a real win95 cd. i have made a start up diskette and it has told me its for winME(i dont know if that makes a difference or not)nad iv rebooted with the diskette in but nothing happens.

Virtualbody1234
10-21-2003, 07:11 PM
rebooted with the diskette in but nothing happens.

What do you mean by that? does the diskette boot?

cwctv
10-21-2003, 07:11 PM
Ok first you need a bootdisc of '98 not ME it as a differant command.com in it in size and you will get errors if you use a ME bootdisc,the C:\format switch "/s" does not work anymore with ME.
Either get the '98 cd back or download a copy of ME with serial or your in for a surpraise belief me been there done that.
"No boot with to dos" make sure in your bios(cmos) the boot option is set to floppy first press del or whatever your board is to get in.
Why do you want '98 on what's wrong with Me ?

muchspl2
10-21-2003, 07:45 PM
I think I'd rather have 3.1 than ME
a better question would be whats RIGHT with windows ME

cwctv
10-21-2003, 08:00 PM
I think I'd rather have 3.1 than ME
a better question would be whats RIGHT with windows ME

I agree Win 3.1 much simpler sys.ini win.ini shit to the registry it was an easier time,why don't you like Me ?
How many crashes or reloads of Xp have you done ?

Virtualbody1234
10-21-2003, 08:04 PM
How many crashes or reloads of Xp have you done ?

Windows XP is stable. Can you say that about ME? Not a chance. :P

muchspl2
10-21-2003, 08:09 PM
I was joking about 3.1, windows ME is the antichrists of OS

cwctv
10-21-2003, 08:12 PM
Ok everyone as they own idea's of what is best question remains how many reloads and crashes ?
Me its been on here for 20 months I load-unload have everything and anything on here taken off them of with (some problems once or twice :( ) but in the main great,I see MANY problems on here with people having XP I think I will stick with it till maybe Longhorn comes out.

Oh reloads NONE. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you still run it then or am I the only one in the world.

boyzeee
10-21-2003, 08:15 PM
your win98 disc should boot your pc , you need to set the boot order in your bios to boot from your cdrom drive before it boots from the hardrive ie boot order 1 floppy, 2 cdrom, 3 ide0 hit delete on boot to get into bios (some pc's its f1 or esc) it should say on screen hit del to run setup. or if you need a win98 boot disc go Here (http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm)

cwctv
10-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Now that's a great site boyzeee have said it before on here you learn something everyday thats why I join this forum. :D

mondaeo
10-21-2003, 09:04 PM
so how do i make a start up disk for win98(on a floppy disk)

iv done the start>settings>control panel>add/remove programs>startup disk thing but that just makes an ME disk... :angry: damn microsoft making it hard for me!

Virtualbody1234
10-21-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by cwctv@21 October 2003 - 15:12
Ok everyone as they own idea's of what is best question remains how many reloads and crashes ?
Me its been on here for 20 months I load-unload have everything and anything on here taken off them of with (some problems once or twice :( ) but in the main great,I see MANY problems on here with people having XP I think I will stick with it till maybe Longhorn comes out.

Oh reloads NONE. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you still run it then or am I the only one in the world.
What do you mean by "reloads"

Do you mean 'reinstalls'?

Ok, if you think XP is no good based on what you see on discussion boards then I need to set you straight. I have been running XP since 1 month before it was officially released (about 2 years ago). It is as stable as rock. I leave my computer on for weeks at a time and reboot rarely. I have reformatted and reinstalled it a few times but not because I had to but because I like to clear everyting out from time to time and start fresh.

muchspl2
10-21-2003, 09:53 PM
I don't even know how long I have had xp pro, and I maybe turn off my cpu once a month and thats only because I load something that requires me to, and like VB only reformat when I choose not 25 times a year cause I can't figure out a simple conflict as allot of people seem to suggest, there was a good thread a few days ago on it, people on this board recommend reformatting at the drop of a hat, instead of working on it and fixing it themselves
bottom line is if you have over a gig processor get xp pro otherwise run 2kpro

boyzeee
10-21-2003, 10:51 PM
have to agree with virtual1234, i have been using windows since 3.1 and xp and 2000 are as stable as an os can get, a pc is like any other piece of equipment, keep it serviced and in order and you wont have problems, I fix pc's for a living and most of the time its either a hardware fault or people tweaking and adjusting things they know nothing about causing issues. xp like any software had its bugs at the start, mainly lack of hardware drivers and security issues but now its gotta be the best os. if you gotta run an older version of windows due to system specs then stick with 98 or 98se, winme is just awful! but if you like the colour blue............ :rolleyes: but i have installed xp on my nephews amd 500mhz system and although its slow....it is stable, the only issue was drivers for his hardware but most win 2000 drivers will work with xp. As for formatting, a clean install on a ntfs (or fat32) platform is best. as most issues with xp are because people upgrade, backup ya docs, get any drivers you think you will need on disc and then install ya os, ;)