PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft's New DRM Servers Kill Assassin's Creed 2 for PC Gamers

SonsOfLiberty
03-08-2010, 06:36 PM
http://mtvgames.typepad.com/mtv_video_games_blog/images/ubisoft_logo_1.jpgUbisoft's New DRM Servers Kill Assassin's Creed 2 for PC Gamers

Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to... not being able to play Assassin's Creed 2 on the PC? It would seem as though Ubisoft's recently released PC version of the well-received console action adventure has fallen foul of the publishers' new "extreme" DRM server authentication. According to a massive thread on Ubi's European forums, the Uplay service has been overloaded and unable to authenticate new game sessions of AC2 since yesterday.

Assassin's Creed 2 may well be a single-player offline game but Ubisoft's widely criticised new DRM methods dictate that players must maintain a connection to the servers at all times to play.

The anti-piracy measures have come under a lot of flak from gamers around the globe, and yesterday a Ubi community manager posted the following statement.

Due to exceptional demand, we are currently experiencing difficulties with the Online Service Platform. This does not affect customers who are currently playing, but customers attempting to start a game may experience difficulty in accessing our servers. We are currently working to resolve this issue and apologize for any inconvenience.

It's not yet known if this issue is affecting gamers outside of Europe at this time. We've asked Ubi for comment and we'll update the story if and when we get more.

UPDATE: Ubisoft has since made an official apology via its Twitter, stating that its servers were 'attacked' yesterday. It went on to say that "95% of players were not affected, but a small group of players attempting to open a game session did receive denial of service errors."

An official statement made to IGN expanded upon this, saying that "All players with an open session during the attack were not affected. We also confirm that, at this time, no valid cracked version of either Silent Hunter 5 or Assassin's Creed II are available."

Still though, many people will not buy there product now, I'm sure there are plenty of PC gamers who don't have a great internet, fast internet, capped, don't want data sent, and plain just don't have a constant internet connection, way to fuck us over Ubisoft

:source: Source: PC Gamespy (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/assassins-creed-2/1075138p1.html) | PC IGN (http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1075124p1.html)

IdolEyes787
03-08-2010, 07:44 PM
I guess the small percentage of revenue they lose due to piracy on the billions of dollars of profit they make seems (to them) worth alienating the people who actually buy their product.

The phrase "cut off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.

bondgannu
03-09-2010, 12:40 AM
I guess the small percentage of revenue they lose due to piracy on the billions of dollars of profit they make seems (to them) worth alienating the people who actually buy their product.

The phrase "cut off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.

Well said IdolEyes.......
Though I am waiting for a cracked version.... I wonder how much this DRM thing will stop the crackers to crack the same.... Lets seee.////

risys
03-09-2010, 01:31 PM
i will not buy any games with this kind of DRM
it's just annoying with slow/unreliable internet connection

dat1337vet
03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
don't blame the DRM you guys would pirate it anyway

Aum
03-09-2010, 09:38 PM
don't blame the DRM you guys would pirate it anyway

That's true, but if I really like the game I would definitely buy it.

I've done so with TF2 and Audiosurf so far. (I don't play many games)

Tv Controls you
03-10-2010, 02:20 AM
An offline game that requires you to be connected to an online server.....

This is an epic failure on obisoft's part. Further more... Lets get this cracked.

sanfer
03-11-2010, 12:58 AM
omg, its complicated, lets cracked :D

jmayer
03-12-2010, 03:31 AM
It's one of the only games that the cracked version will be worth more than the original one. :lol:

antrax34130
04-03-2010, 08:17 AM
http://cs.rin.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=55769

arpit60
04-04-2010, 12:45 PM
ubisoft wins this time !
but not for long !

minsh
04-05-2010, 06:41 PM
ubisoft losed...

hope settler7 can be cracked too ;-)

AndreyReyna
04-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Ass creed was cracked and it can be played with a emulator,so,ubisoft,don't waste you money on protections!Waste it all in one good game!

Expeto
04-13-2010, 04:53 PM
ubisoft wins this time !
but not for long !
you kidding? they just gave people another reason to pirate the game