PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Windows 7 Services

Cabalo
03-09-2010, 05:08 AM
I recently did an installation on an old laptop, and thought it would be interesting to tweak those services.msc

I came across this fantastic site (http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm), which has extremely detailed instructions about what each service does, dependencies, and offers a quick optimization table.
After following that guide I've managed to severely decrease the OS load on the machine, and so far I haven't had the need to restart any service I previously disabled.

I absolutely hate those windows tweaking softwares, who do it all behind your back. Manually was always the way to go, especially when dealing with something so sensible as the services.

Anyone else here usually does some services tweaking? Any other tips?

anon
03-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Anyone else here usually does some services tweaking?

If that question isn't restricted to Windows 7, I only have 11 services running in my computer :hooray:

I also removed a lot of crap using XPLite - great program if you know what to delete.

Appzalien
03-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Someone who's played around alot (or a few someones) should put together several XPlite removal lists for various types of setups. One could be for gaming, one for video and media, and one for torrents and downloading. You get the picture. In the past I was reluctant to use someone elses nlite, because there were a few out there messing up and removing networking or other important aspects without reguard to other users.

anon
03-10-2010, 05:03 PM
In the past I was reluctant to use someone elses nlite, because there were a few out there messing up and removing networking or other important aspects without reguard to other users.

I think a self-made "nLitened" version of Windows is the best - unnecessary stuff is removed from the very beginning. Of course, making one takes more work than using XPLite.

Cabalo
03-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Someone who's played around alot (or a few someones) should put together several XPlite removal lists for various types of setups. One could be for gaming, one for video and media, and one for torrents and downloading. You get the picture. In the past I was reluctant to use someone elses nlite, because there were a few out there messing up and removing networking or other important aspects without reguard to other users.

Happened to me the same with tiny7. Most people who do it expect everyone to not have a home network or to not need remote access to the PCs, which are crucial components to me.
Windows really tries to be as plug and play as one can imagine, and that's why there are plenty of unnecessary services running in the background at every default installation. Tweaking the services is where the gold is, imo.

anon
03-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Windows really tries to be as plug and play as one can imagine, and that's why there are plenty of unnecessary services running in the background at every default installation.

Enabling Wireless Zero Config on PCs without a Wi-Fi card, go figure.

slim150
03-10-2010, 05:55 PM
nice! did you use one of his default setups? I used "safe". I thought about leaving "Windows Search" on but then I figured I rarely use it.